SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My evil plan is working. Stiffen up the rear, improve front end grip.
Just installed Koni Yellows and decided to keep the stock springs on my 06 9-3 Aero. I have installed the GS subframe brace to increase turn in, and then have balanced out the stiffness to the rear by setting the koni Yellows at the stiffest setting in the back, and a half or so turn off of full stiff in the front. This seems to work. When I brake hard going into a corner, then lift and balance the throttle to keep the tires at the limit, the rear of the car breaks away nicely and the front end stays on target. If I lift off abruptly mid corner the rear swings out quite quickly (not recommended). However getting on the gas pulls everything into line. A slight lower would help though because when the rear snaps into line I get a little bit of side to side lean which takes some concentration to control. (the price for being able to drive this thing in the winter and have it not be a snow plow.) Moral of the story is that my Saab feels much much much better balanced than stock. If anyone knows of a stiffer rear swaybar for this generation please speak up. Then I would be able to back off the stiffness of the suspension a little bit.

·
Registered
2007 9-3 Sedan 60th anniversary edition
489 Posts
Also play with the alignment. I zeroed the rear toe and it loosened up the rear end. Factory alignment has some toe-in at the rear to keep the car stable, but creates under steer.

Having good tires is very important too. You need the front end to really grip.

Also replace as many rear axle bushings with poly bushings as possible to add stiffness add durability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also play with the alignment. I zeroed the rear toe and it loosened up the rear end. Factory alignment has some toe-in at the rear to keep the car stable, but creates under steer.

Having good tires is very important too. You need the front end to really grip.

Also replace as many rear axle bushings with poly bushings as possible to add stiffness add durability.
What Poly bushings would you recommend starting with (locations, brand etc)? They are costly, and I would like to maximize cost:handing difference as early as possible.

·
Registered
2007 9-3 Sedan 60th anniversary edition
489 Posts
My Aero's first mod were Bilstein HD (B6) shocks. Shortly after that I put in the rear poly swaybar bushings. I had crappy understeering tires so I couldn't tell if that made a huge difference.

After a season of autocross destroyed the old stock bushings, I replaced #15 on the above diagram and it did firm up the rear quite a bit. Then I got new Michelin Pilot Super Sports and that transformed the car the most. I could now properly use weight transfer to help rotate the car. Some time later #16 needed to be replaced I put a poly in there. Small but necessary improvement. I then won my class championship at autocross.

Then my orig bushings at the #10 spot needed replacing to correct alignment. I might have put an OEM rubber bushing in I forget.

Since I bought this car in 2011 I have gone through 3 sets of rear upper control arms because they take a beating from autocross and sag thus affecting my camber. So replacing these with polys is a worthwhile investment. But I haven't due to cost.

Today my car is sitting on Eibach springs and Koni Yellow shocks on the softest setting. I love the balance of handling and compliance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.