SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'96 SAAB NG900 SE (R.I.P.), '99 SAAB 9-3
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some old dude in his merc pulled out in front of me and wrecked my NG900, car is totaled the whole front is smashed, airbags blew and windshield got smashed in the process.
Insurance calculated that they're gonna give me 500€ to cover the damage, which i find ridiculous since i paid a lot more for the car.
I need some convincing arguments that the car is worth more than that, yet i can't come up with any.
Apparently the guy who calculated what the car is worth did so through his "sources" which he won't reveal, and came up with 670€.
Supposedly because there's no such car for sale in my entire country, since according to the guy it has to be the same year and model.
For starters it's the SE model, which i think makes a difference, it has no rust, the body has no dents and there were no previous accidents.
The leather is in great condition and so is the wooden panel along with the entire interior, all accessories worked before the crash (cruise, AC, SID etc.), all windows still have the VIN engraved on them.

I'd appreciate any advice i can get.

Ps: VIN: YS3DF35N8T2003722

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Do you have receipts for any type of add-ons, etc.?
Most adjusters are hoping you will take the first offer, tell them no. Give them some good reasons.
Good luck

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have receipts for any type of add-ons, etc.?
Most adjusters are hoping you will take the first offer, tell them no. Give them some good reasons.
Good luck
No receipts, all work was done by myself in the garage and most of the parts were bought used because new parts were not available.
I put about 800€ worth of parts in the car.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
That's the biggest issue now in regards to Carfax/autocheck, etc.. If you work on your own car, none of that shows up and some prospective buyers think that you have neglected the car and will stay away. When in actuality most shade tree mechanics treat their cars better. Same goes with the situation you are in, if you don't have receipts, then you are kind of out of luck. Still, ask for more, it cant hurt.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the biggest issue now in regards to Carfax/autocheck, etc.. If you work on your own car, none of that shows up and some prospective buyers think that you have neglected the car and will stay away. When in actuality most shade tree mechanics treat their cars better. Same goes with the situation you are in, if you don't have receipts, then you are kind of out of luck. Still, ask for more, it cant hurt.
I have a habit of taking pictures of most of the stuff i do, so i can dig up a load of pics if need be.
Also the adjuster made it very clear that the exact year and model is very important, so i can kinda use that against him because i think my car being the SE 2.0 turbo is a major bargaining point.
I just need to know what SE stands for so that i sound like i know what i'm talking about :), i know S in the 900S models stands for sport (even though they don't have a turbo:unsure:)
I also found the "super secret" sources he used to calculate the market price for the car but they only have info for the 900SE V6, not 2.0 turbo and i think there's a huge difference between the two.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear about your car. Glad you weren't hurt.
Wounds heal, mangled steel does not and i will never get the time spent fixing this car back so i'd rather get hurt to be honest.
Sucks to have all this time and effort gone in a mere moment.

·
Registered
18,381 Posts
Naw, I got the hurt and the car gone. I replaced the car but I still have the hurt.

My company low-balled me too. I don't know squat about the insurance laws where you are, but here in the USA they will add $'s for any recent major maintenance if you have receipts. I didn't actually have that for most of what was done to my car as much of it was done by the previous owner, so I made up a spreadsheet showing the cost of the parts and estimated labor for the work. Got the "value" of the updates over $5000 usd with labor included. Sent that to them with a note "I don't expect $5000, but I expect more than you offered - make me a reasonable settlement". They came up over $1000 from where they started without a lot of whining.

Good luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Naw, I got the hurt and the car gone. I replaced the car but I still have the hurt.

My company low-balled me too. I don't know squat about the insurance laws where you are, but here in the USA they will add $'s for any recent major maintenance if you have receipts. I didn't actually have that for most of what was done to my car as much of it was done by the previous owner, so I made up a spreadsheet showing the cost of the parts and estimated labor for the work. Got the "value" of the updates over $5000 usd with labor included. Sent that to them with a note "I don't expect $5000, but I expect more than you offered - make me a reasonable settlement". They came up over $1000 from where they started without a lot of whining.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice.
I wrote a lengthy letter to the adjuster explaining how the car has been cared for and how large amounts of money, effort and time have been spent bringing it up to the state it was before the crash.
I also compiled a big excel spreadsheet with most of the repairs, estimated time spent and how much that time is worth (minimum wage) along with the cost of the parts. With each part i also included a comment and a "yes" or "no" whether a picture of the work done at the time is available.
Too bad most of the pictures of the engine rebuild are corrupted so i only have the pictures of the car being winched into the garage and pictures right after the engine was lifted back into the engine bay, although they could still be in my old phone, which got smashed while i was rebuilding the engine.
I also included a nice picture of what the car looked like before the crash, i'll include it here as well with a picture after the crash for contrast.

Ps: even without the expenses that i forgot to include like brake rotors, tires and a fuel pump (etc.) the total of the repairs came up just shy of 1.300 € .
saabbenum.jpg
saabnonum.jpg

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
643 Posts
Good to hear you are ok. Insurance for Cars in Aust & NZ does take a bit of negotiation - so I understand even though your based in Europe. I worked out the value based on the 'Red Book' (aka Carfax) and started from there because I knew that market value doesn't cut it. So I then set my agreed value (of sorts). I don't have a Viggen - but OG Aeros are getting hard to find - In particular hardtop versions with low miles. There is a few links I recall that published the production volumes for build types. If you can - Find out how many SE's in your colour, year, Build type (vert, 3Dr, 5 Dr), engine spec etc. That might help you with the 'rare' factor. Best of Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts