SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My back up sensors (installed by the dealer when the car was purchased) stopped working last year. Shorty afterwards the reverse lights stopped working. Took the car to Saab and they said I needed a back up sensor. Went to Advanced Auto and purchased an aftermarket, friend did it and was good to go for about a month. Then the back up sensors would go off for no reason. It would rain and they would go off. Eventually the reverse lights came on and never went off, no matter what gear I was in.

My friend says the reverse light switch was probably bad. I go back to Advanced and get a new one to switch it out. I had the car at Sears one day and they switched out the switch for me and we were good to go for about a week. The lights came back on permanently and the snesors would go off for no reason.

I had taken the car into Saab for a laundry list of things and asked them to check the lights. They tell me they checked the switch and all the wiring and it's just the switch. I told them what I had done and they said, "you can't use aftermarket parts on this car, it has to be genuine Saab for electrial items". They want $200 to replace a $40 switch. I decline.

I call my friend who owns a shop and he does agree with Saab but can get me a genuine Saab switch and replace it for $42. So he orders the part and I think I'm good to go from there. The Saab switch looks nothing like the aftermarket switch so I'm thinking this is going to work.

Well that was 2 weeks ago and I'm driving around not worried about the lights and today a lady pulls up next to me and tells me there is a problem with my lights. I go to the place that changes my oil and the guy is telling me everything is ok with the brake lights but I need to take my car out of reverse. I'm like what the hell, my car isn't in reverse, it's in neutral. OMG, even with the Saab part, the reverse lights are still staying on and my back up sensors are not working when they are supposed to and coming on when they're not supposed to.

So my DH (who is on his way home for his R&R from Iraq) tells me to take the bulb out of the reverse lights until he can look at the car. I open the trunk and I can't figure out how to take the bulbs out. I am so frustrated with this car right now.

Does anyone know how to take the bulbs out? I know it's not wise to not have back up lights, but I almost got into an accident because of this.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
You have short in the wire harness in the trunk lid, it runs down the left side of the trunk in a corregated tube. Cut open the tube where it bends and you will see broken wires or a inulation that is torn and exposing the conductor, reconnect, retape and you should be fine

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You have short in the wire harness in the trunk lid, it runs down the left side of the trunk in a corregated tube. Cut open the tube where it bends and you will see broken wires or a inulation that is torn and exposing the conductor, reconnect, retape and you should be fine
No need to cut open that tube, you can slide it back to reveal most of the wires. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
That's been the problem since day 1 of the backup sensor problem I think.

Generally, the first step in troubleshooting is to remove all the aftermarket stuff and throw it as far from the car as possible....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts