SaabCentral Forums banner

741 - 749 of 749 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,992 Posts
A loaded question, but here goes since I’m looking for another 9-3.

This intake valve problem, on the 08’s, is it a matter of time before this shows up or are their some that will not see this problem?

If it is a chance of happening, any numbers on what percent is affected?
No one knows.

·
Registered
256 Posts

This intake valve problem, on the 08’s, is it a matter of time before this shows up or are their some that will not see this problem?

The way I understood it from explanations here and other places is that it is pretty much a matter of time. It usually happens in the first 100k miles, but may also happen after. The older the car without the new valves, the bigger risk it is and the more likely it is to happen sooner than later. And I understood it as it's all of them. Or at least enough of them to where you should count on it happening and being prepared. GM hasn't given out enough info to track down the batches of valves and what cars they went into. Not sure if they would, anyways.

·
Registered
20 Posts

This will effect all B207 2.0T engines for the 2008 model year. There is no escape. Authorized Saab repair wants $2600 to fix mine but I don't drive the car much and it usually starts up especially when above freezing temps. Mine has 91k miles, original owner. Only a matter of time. If you find a 2008 9-3 2.0t and the intake valves haven't been changed then deduct $2-3k from the asking price.

·
Registered
707 Posts
This will effect all B207 2.0T engines for the 2008 model year. There is no escape. Authorized Saab repair wants $2600 to fix mine but I don't drive the car much and it usually starts up especially when above freezing temps. Mine has 91k miles, original owner. Only a matter of time. If you find a 2008 9-3 2.0t and the intake valves haven't been changed then deduct $2-3k from the asking price.
Mostly correct. My car is a MY2007, built on 09/2006 and I had the intake valve issue, so far I think I'm the earliest recorded, but all MY2007-2011 cars should be wary.

I'd say a $2000 deduction for a car with no known record of a valve swap is fair. I bought 8 new valves (the improved BioPower versions) online for less than $200, and had the head redone/reassembled for less than $1200. The car has been flawless for the past 3 years since. It wouldn't even start when it was 0 degrees F a few years ago at 90K, and ran rough at 15-20 degrees F, I'm now at 150K and it's perfect even on the days that are -10 or -15F (She's a little cranky at -20F, but so am I).

For the record, I had two cylinders with low compression, two were in the 90's and two were in the 180's, so it can be random valves. If you buy a 2.0 after 9/2006 the chances are you will have at least one valve that has erosion unless it's a BioPower engine (which I think came out in MY2010 and mostly on 9-5's) or the motor has been swapped to the BioPower valves.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mostly correct. My car is a MY2007, built on 09/2006 and I had the intake valve issue, so far I think I'm the earliest recorded, but all MY2007-2011 cars should be wary.

I'd say a $2000 deduction for a car with no known record of a valve swap is fair. I bought 8 new valves (the improved BioPower versions) online for less than $200, and had the head redone/reassembled for less than $1200. The car has been flawless for the past 3 years since. It wouldn't even start when it was 0 degrees F a few years ago at 90K, and ran rough at 15-20 degrees F, I'm now at 150K and it's perfect even on the days that are -10 or -15F (She's a little cranky at -20F, but so am I).

For the record, I had two cylinders with low compression, two were in the 90's and two were in the 180's, so it can be random valves. If you buy a 2.0 after 9/2006 the chances are you will have at least one valve that has erosion unless it's a BioPower engine (which I think came out in MY2010 and mostly on 9-5's) or the motor has been swapped to the BioPower valves.
Wow, you're the first I've seen to have a car made before mine and had the issue. I think I'll try to do a compression test just to check, even though I have no signs at 120k miles. Borrowing the tool is free, and it's quick peace of mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a 08 2.0T that needs the valves replaced. Also, the timing chain is blown, probably related, as I could only start the vehicle in the summer and thus used in the warmer weather. On a positive note, the car has no rust considering it is a Canadian vehicle. To repair it, the best quote I've gotten is $1800 CDN for the valve job and $600 CDN for the timing chain at Beacon Motor in Toronto, which is/was a speciality Saab shop. I've yet to take it there, probably have to bite the bullet soon and take it in. These cars were well designed and a joy to drive, except for these engine issues.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I've got a 08 2.0T that needs the valves replaced. Also, the timing chain is blown, probably related, as I could only start the vehicle in the summer and thus used in the warmer weather

You might want to contact Zoom Auto in Scarborough and see what they quote.

741 - 749 of 749 Posts