·
Registered
223 Posts
No Probs

Model Year:08
Build Month/Year:6/08
Mileage (in Miles):84500
Have you experienced this issue (Yes/no)?no
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test (yes/no)?

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
Model Year: 2008
Build Month/Year: 08/08 (service date 03/09)
Mileage (in Miles): 49,2xx
Have you experienced this issue (Yes/no)? no
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test (yes/no)? no
If yes, did you have your car repaired (yes/no)? no
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost? no
Weird that your build date is the same as mine but mine is a 2009...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Weird that your build date is the same as mine but mine is a 2009...
Its not that odd/uncommon. Dates vary even between the same manufacturer, ergo, a 0.5 model year (aka 2008.5). The cutoff depends (or depended, been out of that game for 5 years now) on when the shutdown period lands in summer and winter. It can get shifted by two weeks either way, so you might have a car that was manufactured 1st of the month and its a certain year model. Another car might be manufactured last day of the same month, and now its a certain year model +1.

I went back to mine and checked, its actually 07/08 date of manufacture. So that was my mistake.

EDIT: shutdown period meaning retooling, although technically, retooling occurs year-round

·
Registered
3 Posts
Build Month/Year: 08/07
Mileage (in Miles): 105000
Have you experienced this issue (Yes/no)? yes
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test (yes/no)? n/a
If yes, did you have your car repaired (yes/no)? n/a
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost? n/a

With sub freezing temps here in Minnesota, we haven't been able to start the car for two days. Not sure if we will pay for fix wait for warmer weather to trade in.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Build Month/Year: 08/07
Mileage (in Miles): 105000
Have you experienced this issue (Yes/no)? yes
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test (yes/no)? n/a
If yes, did you have your car repaired (yes/no)? n/a
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost? n/a

With sub freezing temps here in Minnesota, we haven't been able to start the car for two days. Not sure if we will pay for fix wait for warmer weather to trade in.
Sorry to hear this. Had you had rough idle starts leading up to this? If so, around what mileage did you first start experiencing them?

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Sorry to clutter this thread up but I thought this would be pertinent to this issue.

Just saw this over at saabworld.net from a week ago:

http://saabworld.net/f146/hard-starting-cold-w-engine-misfire-low-compression-9-3-b207-11-9-5-a20nft-29592/
Text below:
Post Hard Starting Cold W/Engine Misfire & Low Compression 9-3 B207 & 11' 9-5 A20NFT
Service and Warranty Reference Library

Title:RE-ISSUE: Hard Starting Cold With Engine Misfire and Low Compression, Vehicle Starts and Runs Normally When Hot 2007-11 9-3 B207 & 2011 9-5 A20NFT

Date: 12/17/2013
To: All Saab OSC's/WSP's

This is a re-issue of a previously published document with updated information highlighted inRED.

MODELS:
2007-2008 Saab 9-3 B207R (This PI does not apply to the B284 engine)
UPDATE: This condition could also occur on 2009-11 B207 or 2011 9-5 A20NFT
CONDITION/CONCERN:
A Technician may comment of hard or no starting when cold. They may also find engine misfires with DTC's P0300, P0301, P0302, p0303 or p0304. The vehicle will start and run normally when hot.
RECOMMENDATIONS/INSTRUCTIONS:
This condition may be caused by a worn intake valve and is typically found on vehicles with 50,000 or more miles. Due to the nature of this issue it can be more frequent in cold climates and could exhibit the condition at a lower mileage; inversely in warmer climates it may occur at a higher mileage.
TAC has found intake valve wear of the valve seat face will cause significant compression loss in cold temperatures that will not be readily apparent when hot.
To properly diagnose this condition perform a cold (after an overnight stay is best) compression and leak down test. As an example, an engine with a 150-175 psi hot cranking compression reading may only show 75 to 90 psi when cold.
Once a Technician has determined he has the above described concern he must initiate a Technical Assistance Center (TAC) case by email at xxxx or by phone at xxxxx prompt #3. TAC will provide the full information on the parts/repair procedure when the case is set.
Parts Required: Inlet valve 2007 to 2011, BioPower 55563529 (8 required)

So this seems to affect even more cars than we have thought. I wonder if this will affect the "New" NEVS built 9-3's as they are using engines that were built at that time (2011) ? Talk about some possible rotten luck.

Anyway it looks like the recommended valve to use as the replacement is the BioPower intake valve #55563529 for all affected engines. Still trying to confirm that detail.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts

http://saabworld.net/f146/hard-starting-cold-w-engine-misfire-low-compression-9-3-b207-11-9-5-a20nft-29592/
Text below:
Post Hard Starting Cold W/Engine Misfire & Low Compression 9-3 B207 & 11' 9-5 A20NFT

Title:RE-ISSUE: Hard Starting Cold With Engine Misfire and Low Compression, Vehicle Starts and Runs Normally When Hot 2007-11 9-3 B207 & 2011 9-5 A20NFT

This is a re-issue of a previously published document with updated information highlighted inRED.

MODELS:
CONDITION/CONCERN:
A Technician may comment of hard or no starting when cold. They may also find engine misfires with DTC's P0300, P0301, P0302, p0303 or p0304. The vehicle will start and run normally when hot.
This condition may be caused by a worn intake valve and is typically found on vehicles with 50,000 or more miles. Due to the nature of this issue it can be more frequent in cold climates and could exhibit the condition at a lower mileage; inversely in warmer climates it may occur at a higher mileage.
TAC has found intake valve wear of the valve seat face will cause significant compression loss in cold temperatures that will not be readily apparent when hot.
To properly diagnose this condition perform a cold (after an overnight stay is best) compression and leak down test. As an example, an engine with a 150-175 psi hot cranking compression reading may only show 75 to 90 psi when cold.
Once a Technician has determined he has the above described concern he must initiate a Technical Assistance Center (TAC) case by email at xxxx or by phone at xxxxx prompt #3. TAC will provide the full information on the parts/repair procedure when the case is set.
Parts Required: Inlet valve 2007 to 2011, BioPower 55563529 (8 required) ______________________________________________

So this seems to affect even more cars than we have thought. I wonder if this will affect the "New" NEVS built 9-3's as they are using engines that were built at that time (2011) ? Talk about some possible rotten luck.

Anyway it looks like the recommended valve to use as the replacement is the BioPower intake valve #55563529 for all affected engines. Still trying to confirm that detail.

This is terrible. Do you think GM will honor cars out of warranty? This should really be a recall for all affected vehicles, not just warrantied vehicles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just got my 07 2.0 4 months ago and I was not aware of this problem. Really freaking hope I dont run into it. Had a few rough starts the first month, replaced all 4 plugs and coils and since then its started great and idles great everytime. Aside from some slow starts cause of a drained battery. She really does idle super smooth even at cold starts in 15f temps.

Only thing ive noticed is very slight bucking when I am at a very specific amount of throttle in 3rd and 4th gear. Its almost unnoticeable but I can see the needle on my boost gauge jumping up and down quickly between 9 and 12 on the vacuum reading, only when im holding at very specific throttle and only when im between 2700 and 3000 rpms. But it happens when the engine is warm too so im not sure what thats about. Will keep my status updated

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is terrible. Do you think GM will honor cars out of warranty? This should really be a recall for all affected vehicles, not just warrantied vehicles.
This is interesting , they have extended the TSB to 2009 and 2011, in my original posting below I found the original TSB relevant to 2007 and 2008. (Mine was 2008), as you said this probably is affecting lots more cars than originally thought.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2360066&postcount=50

I used 55192156 as valves and so far so good (wasn't aware of the bio power part number) , has been 30k miles and couple of winters with really cold starts and so far so good , I will check cold compression again next time I change my plugs but I have not had any trace of the problem thus far. I know some Saab dealers are aware of the issue and if you are under warranty (I was not) they will cover the work. It's a pain in the neck as DYI but definitely worth saving $2500

Keep us posted on what you find about the valves part number ( quick search tells me they are equivalent part numbers )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Had you had rough idle starts leading up to this? If so, around what mileage did you first start experiencing them?
We purchased the car in Sept 2012 with about 85,000 miles and had it delivered from AZ. We started noticing some rough starts around 100,000 miles in September. The problem progressed rapidly from there and required using the gas pedal to rev the engine to get it started.

I wonder if the BioPower intake valve is hardened and would be a permanent fix? I would consider repairing and keeping the car if I knew this would not be an issue going forward. This whole issue warrants a recall on all affected vehicles regardless of warranty/miles.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Yeah, I had seen that thread earlier myself and wondered about the price difference. The BioPower valves should be good for all fuels as they can work with E85 or Gasoline so it should save some money in the repair.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
From everything I can find the bio power valve is 3x cheaper and I wonder if that was the problem all along ??
It would be interesting to get one of each and have them tested somewhere to see if they are the same hardness etc..

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Or is it that they are not seeing any failures in the BioPower engines and are hoping that there are no issues with those valves. Hard to say I think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree !

Anyway , as a data point I can state that after replacing with 55192156 , so far (knock on wood) I have not had any issues. As stated, next time I do my plugs I will measure compression again (after 30k miles ) and can quantify the performance of the valves better .

Cheers

·
Registered
342 Posts
Model Year: 2007 9-3 SS 2.0t (BSR Stage 1)
Build Month/Year: 07/2007
Mileage (in Miles):36600m (59000kms)
Have you experienced this issue (Yes/no)? Yes
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test (yes/no)? Yes (See below)
If yes, did you have your car repaired (yes/no)? No (See below)
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost?

Comp test results at cold:
#1 - 200PSI
#2 - 200PSI
#3 - 190PSI
#4 - 200PSI

Not showing low enough to be the source of my no start issues, haven't done leak-down test. Still hunting the problem and logging all updates or changes to this thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332049

Can I also suggest that people list any mods they have? This issue might be showing up in cars with a tune or mods earlier than stock cars is all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry to clutter this thread up but I thought this would be pertinent to this issue.

Text below:

MODELS:
CONDITION/CONCERN:
Parts Required: Inlet valve 2007 to 2011, BioPower 55563529 (8 required)

WOW... The prevalence of this issue just keeps growing...

Do we have any thought on wether the increasing scope of the issue would result in a recall for the GM cars? (I believe any pre-2010 Saab)

21 - 40 of 766 Posts