SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 749 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As mentioned in a litany of threads on the board, MY2007 - MY2011 9-3SS 2.0T have an issue with accelerated wear on the intake valves. The prevalence of this issue is unknown, but SPNA Technical Assistance recently expanded the bulletin regarding the issue to include Model Years 2010 and 2011. As time goes on, it appears that this issue is growing, and not an isolated batch of vehicles. The bulletin is posted below, in it's entirety, credit to AVGuy for digging it up.

Just saw this over at saabworld.net from a week ago:

http://saabworld.net/f146/hard-starting-cold-w-engine-misfire-low-compression-9-3-b207-11-9-5-a20nft-29592/
Text below:
Post Hard Starting Cold W/Engine Misfire & Low Compression 9-3 B207 & 11' 9-5 A20NFT
Service and Warranty Reference Library

Title:RE-ISSUE: Hard Starting Cold With Engine Misfire and Low Compression, Vehicle Starts and Runs Normally When Hot 2007-11 9-3 B207 & 2011 9-5 A20NFT

Date: 12/17/2013
To: All Saab OSC's/WSP's

This is a re-issue of a previously published document with updated information highlighted inRED.

MODELS:
2007-2008 Saab 9-3 B207R (This PI does not apply to the B284 engine)
UPDATE: This condition could also occur on 2009-11 B207 or 2011 9-5 A20NFT
CONDITION/CONCERN:
A Technician may comment of hard or no starting when cold. They may also find engine misfires with DTC's P0300, P0301, P0302, p0303 or p0304. The vehicle will start and run normally when hot.
RECOMMENDATIONS/INSTRUCTIONS:
This condition may be caused by a worn intake valve and is typically found on vehicles with 50,000 or more miles. Due to the nature of this issue it can be more frequent in cold climates and could exhibit the condition at a lower mileage; inversely in warmer climates it may occur at a higher mileage.
TAC has found intake valve wear of the valve seat face will cause significant compression loss in cold temperatures that will not be readily apparent when hot.
To properly diagnose this condition perform a cold (after an overnight stay is best) compression and leak down test. As an example, an engine with a 150-175 psi hot cranking compression reading may only show 75 to 90 psi when cold.
Once a Technician has determined he has the above described concern he must initiate a Technical Assistance Center (TAC) case by email at xxxx or by phone at xxxxx prompt #3. TAC will provide the full information on the parts/repair procedure when the case is set.
Parts Required: Inlet valve 2007 to 2011, BioPower 55563529 (8 required)

Anyway it looks like the recommended valve to use as the replacement is the BioPower intake valve #55563529 for all affected engines. Still trying to confirm that detail.
The issue has been discussing in great detail in the following threads:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317593

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321217

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224238&highlight=cold+start

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327778

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3022810&posted=1#post3022810

This thread is an attempt to better document Saabs in the MY07-11 range and wether or not you have experienced the issue. While the issue has been more or less confirmed by SPNA to be widespread, I still think there's value in documenting. If you have experienced the issue, have you confirmed with a compression test? And, if so, did you repair?

As suggested by morinc1, The proposed format for response is as follows:

Model Year:
Build Month/Year:
Mileage (in Miles):
Have you experienced this issue (Yes/no)?
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test (yes/no)?
If yes, did you have your car repaired (yes/no)?
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost?

As stated in the SPNA bulletin, the "proper" replacement valves in their opinion are the BioPower Inlet Valves, part #55563529. But, SaabUSAParts as well as JimEllisSaab each list three unique part numbers for inlet valves. Work needs to be done to better understand what the differences are in the three.

It's also been suggested by user ColdStartSaab to begin reporting this issue to the NHTSA. Confirmed by myself and user Saabohème, GM is liable for all the cars they produced.

Posted this in other treads, but one of the dealers that I spoke with mentioned I should call Saab and start a complaint. Especially since he too is seeing it all over the interwebs, and just had a 2007 in with the same exact problem. So I called Saab and they took a note of it, and said I should file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That once I did that, and if they get enough complaints they'll open an investigation, and maybe one day put out a recall. I'm not holding my breath. But figure what have I got to lose... Anyway, if this is also happening to you, here's the link: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects
We hope that raising awareness of this issue and properly documenting and reporting it to SPNA and NHTSA will trigger some sort of investigation into the issue and maybe, just maybe, trigger some sort of extended coverage program for the fault.

·
Super Moderator
9,238 Posts
Model Year: 2008 SportCombi
Build Month/Year: 04/08
Mileage (in Miles): ~80K
Have you experienced this issue? YES
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test? YES
If yes, did you have your car repaired? YES

I just bought this car. The previous owner had already taken care of this issue at around 80K. Motor was rebuilt with new valves by SAAB dealership under warranty. Car now has 108K and is great.

·
Super Moderator
9,238 Posts
Model Year: 2009 SportSedan
Build Month/Year: 08/08
Mileage (in Miles): 48K
Have you experienced this issue? Yes, but only a few times over the past 4 years.
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test? No, but I think I might have to soon.

Only a few times in the past 4 years has my car struggled to start. Maybe 4-6 times? I bought the car with 6K on it. When I complained to the dealer, they couldn't reproduce the issue and attributed it to changes in ambient air temp causing fuel issues. Hopefully I'm okay, but we'll see. If the valves become an issue, I'll definitely be repairing. This one is with me for the long haul!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Model Year: 2007 9-3SS
Build Month/Year: 05/2007
Mileage (in Miles): 62,010
Have you experienced this issue? YES, only slight...(Slight roughness to idle once in 8degF ambient temp. Lasted 2 seconds until engine corrected, settled at high idle for ~1 min until settling to standard ~900RPM Idle)
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test? YES...Compression test done 1/24/2014 in ambient temp 26degF after sitting overnight showed all four cylinders within +/- 10PSI of 200PSI. Thus, I do NOT have an intake valve issue...yet
If yes, did you have your car repaired (yes/no)? N/A
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost? N/A

·
Registered
647 Posts
Model Year: 2007 9-3SS
Build Month/Year: 12/2006
Mileage (in Miles): 69,000
Have you experienced this issue? Not to date
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test? N/A

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Model Year: 2008 9-3SS
Build Month/Year: 04/08
Mileage (in Miles): 56,000
Have you experienced this issue? Not to date
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test? See below

I have done a compression test to get a baseline number and to see if there were any issues at 55,700 miles. Compression test was done following WIS procedure using a Harbor Freight tool. All cylinders tested at over 200 PSI on a 2 day cold engine at ambient 35 degree temp. I will retest at 60K miles this spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Model Year: 2008 9-3 2.0T
Build Month/Year: n/a (I'll update this later, Car is in the shop now)
Mileage (in Miles): 72,000
Have you experienced this issue? Yes
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test? Yes
If yes, did you have your car repaired? Yes
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost? $2200.

I live in the Northeast, so with this cold weather, it's been really bad. The other day was like 18 degrees out in the morning, and I guess that was the breaking point... engine was just too cold to get started, and then I ended up killing the battery trying to start the car. So into the shop she went.

Compression Test Results: Cyl#1 50/110, Cyl#2 - 50/170, Cyl#3 - 85/190, Cyl#4 - 50/70 & wet - 40/85.

Posted this in other treads, but one of the dealers that I spoke with mentioned I should call Saab and start a complaint. Especially since he too is seeing it all over the interwebs, and just had a 2007 in with the same exact problem. So I called Saab and they took a note of it, and said I should file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That once I did that, and if they get enough complaints they'll open an investigation, and maybe one day put out a recall. I'm not holding my breath. But figure what have I got to lose... Anyway, if this is also happening to you, here's the link: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

only takes a few minutes, and who knows, could save you thousands. As you can see from my post, it's not a cheap fix.

·
Registered
647 Posts
So I scoured the various threads on this issue and this is what I've come up with so far:

12 documented issues; 6 model year 2008, 5 model year 2007, 1 model year 2009.

Keep posting if you have this problem. If we get enough data I could analyze it and try to establish a build date starting time.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Sorry to clutter up the thread but...

I think we should reach out to the other Saab forums out there to try and get them involved in documenting this to a greater extent. As this forum tends to be mostly US with some European users I think we need to expand the scope and at least let others know that there is this issue and this thread. There are forums all over the place, in other languages, etc.. We really need that input to see how big an issue this really is.

Anybody got an idea about the best way to do that? Also there are sure to be some people who have had this happen who have never been on a Saab forum of any kind, would it be possible to get that data somehow?

Maybe we should start a petition, website or some other more "neutral" location to collect the data.

Just spitballing...

·
Super Moderator
9,238 Posts
Sorry to clutter up the thread but...

I think we should reach out to the other Saab forums out there to try and get them involved in documenting this to a greater extent. As this forum tends to be mostly US with some European users I think we need to expand the scope and at least let others know that there is this issue and this thread. There are forums all over the place, in other languages, etc.. We really need that input to see how big an issue this really is.

Anybody got an idea about the best way to do that? Also there are sure to be some people who have had this happen who have never been on a Saab forum of any kind, would it be possible to get that data somehow?

Maybe we should start a petition, website or some other more "neutral" location to collect the data.

Just spitballing...
I totally agree. I tried posting on Saabnet a million different ways, but it wouldn't let me link or reference to SaabCentral at all. There are a lot of master techs on that site. SaabWorld would be good too, and we should contact the folks at SaabsUnited, that seems to be an international meeting place for Saab owners. Maybe they will post a "news" story.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I agree too, maybe we can get them to knowledge it like they did the coil springs. That was a manufacturing defect as well. But since this isn't so much a safety issue par say, I doubt it. :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Super Moderator
11,177 Posts
Confirmed here that GM is on the hook for MY up to '09:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/22/for-saab-owners-and-would-be-buyers-what-to-expect-of-warranties-recalls-and-fire-sales/?_r=0

Those with issues should absolutely notify the NHTSA.
Yes the warranty obligations of GM for pre-GM divestiture of Saab has been discussed at length here (beginning with Post 26) in another thread regarding intake valves.

Determinative of the issue is the decision of the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York approving the sale of the assets from old GM to new GM under Sec. 363 of the Bankruptcy Code (this was a re-org bankruptcy), beginning on page 17 thereof, wherein new GM assumed certain obligations of old GM, including specifically claims arising out of product liability (only for post sale claims) and express warranty and recall claims arising under old GM and new GM (i.e. prior to AND after the date of the asset transfer/sale). Old GM retained liabilities arising out of third party claims and implied warranty claims.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Model Year: 2008
Build Month/Year: 08/08 (service date 03/09)
Mileage (in Miles): 49,2xx
Have you experienced this issue (Yes/no)? no
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test (yes/no)? no
If yes, did you have your car repaired (yes/no)? no
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost? no

·
Registered
434 Posts
Build Month/Year: aug 2007
Mileage (in Miles): 77000
Have you experienced this issue (Yes/no)? Yes
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test (yes/no)? yes 50/150/150/50 27 degree weather
If yes, did you have your car repaired (yes/no)? yes, it's running much better but still getting 2 secs rough start in the morning
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost? quoted for $1,800

·
Registered
647 Posts
Build Month/Year: Haven't check
Mileage (in Miles): 77000
Have you experienced this issue (Yes/no)? Yes
If yes, have you validated w/ compression test (yes/no)? yes 50/150/150/50 27 degree weather
If yes, did you have your car repaired (yes/no)? yes, it's in the shop now
(Optional) If yes, what was your out of pocket cost? quoted for $1,800
You can find the build date on front driver's side door.

1 - 20 of 749 Posts