SaabCentral Forums banner

3581 - 3597 of 3597 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good question! I did a serial loopback test right at the 9 pin port and it passed. I added the 9 pin female adapter and did a loopback test after the adapter was inline and it passed the loopback testing I then added in the cat 6 cable with the RJ45 connectors and did a loopback test at that end. It passed too. So essentially I tested after each device and tested all the way thru from the serial port to the Tech 2 side and everything passed. BTW - I did buy a new Belkin cat 6 RJ45 cable and also made my own cables to test. Each one passed all the testing. I also bought a female 9 pin connector that you can easily change the wiring on the pinouts just in case I had a conductor connected to the wrong pin. So far the serial cable i have is correct. The pinouts are: (RJ45 to DB9) 1-6, 2-1, 3-7, 4-2,5-3, 6-8, 7-5, 8-4 If anyone has a different pinout, please let me know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ryengoth - I am pretty sure I am getting handshaking from the Tech 2 and laptop serial 9 pin connector. I do get connection from the TIS2000 to the Tech 2 when I run the Tech 2 from the laptop. The serial monitoring software also show handshaking and activity to and from the laptop to the Tech 2. I have tried adding flow control from the serial port to see if it made any difference, and all it did was to stop the handshake. I went back to 8, none, 1 and handshake resumed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in the Raleigh / Wake Forest NC area. I'm trying to find someone in my area with a working Tech 2 so that I can eliminate any variables.

·
Super Moderator
19,793 Posts
Not that you wouldn't but please post followup once you figure this out. Thanks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'll grab an old laptop and see what I can do here. I have yet to try to connect via serial with it. I'll have to look into it. I've just been using the screen and keypad on it to clear DTCs and read values.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wilmington is only a couple of hrs away for me. If i cant get globaltis or my new laptop working this week, would you be willing to meet somewhere in Wilmington to help me test out my tech 2? I just need to eliminate variables and find the root cause of my issue.

Diggs - I will update once I load globaltis and also when i load up my new laptop on Friday. Everyone can learn from my troubleshooting. Sounds like other have had connectivity issues too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My clone Tech 2 has version 148.000 software for SAAB (both purchased from Chinadiag about 2 months ago). I have put the Saab card in both slots of the Tech 2 with same results. I can do diagnostics, but can never get security access when connected to laptop. Tech 2 main board is version 2.00, VCI module is version 2.10, PCMCIA type is Linear Flash. POST results all pass. Tech 2 Self Test Version 6.40

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah I can bring my clone tech 2 and meet you at Carolina Dyno. I doubt Randy will have an open bay but we can hang out in the parking lot with a canopy or something and drool over the big turbo cars he gets to play with. I have the v44.000 software version for my 94 CDE. The v148.000 won't work on my car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thats Awesome! Real Saab mechanics are getting scarce. I'll let you know this weekend if I get the new laptop working with TIS2000 or globaltis. If I cant get it to work, we can meet and compare Tech 2 settings. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I need to look at TIS. I've not done much with the canbus apart from look up EDU and ACC issues and to make sure the engine sensors are working. I yanked the alarm box out already so I dunno if TIS is really going to work for me at all anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No problem. Let me know what you find out. Does the Saab mechanic have a Tech 2 that he would be willing to let me compare settings?

·
Super Moderator
19,793 Posts
globaltis is just a newer software to get security access like tis2000, so you still go through same process.

3581 - 3597 of 3597 Posts