SaabCentral Forums banner

which turbo is best

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I can't say which I prefer, cos I havn't driven a car with the other turbo's on. But the t25 I have on mine has been quite good up till now.

Ok, I got my replacement t25 on Friday, to be fitted on Tuesday. Well, I am currently running about 20 psi, which DID give me smiles, but then then exhaust started to puff out light grey smoke, so had to get new turbo. So, I got a t25 body, with a 60 trim compressor, and a bigger turbine/exhuast, dnt know howbig tho, forgot to ask. But both of the turbine radius's DO look/feel bigger than the standard one, and with a 360 deg bearing, hopefully it'll hold up to my pressures.

Does ayone know how much pressure a 360 deg bearing'd turbo CAN run to? I want to run higher than 20 psi IF possible. My max pressure is 164 kPa, which equates to 23 psi. But that was with the original turbo. Now with this upgraded one, it'll be able to run more. Yay.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Not easy to evaluate this by the "seat of the pants" because of the diffrent gearbox,s matched to the diffrent cars
Example, I would say my 89 9000 was a nicer real roads / speed car versus my 97 aero, ( better initial pick up & mid range but more pronounced tail off at the top - over 120mph) but was this down to the turbo, or the 89 model having a shorter gear ratio. Recon if I had the 89 box in my 97 Aero then the TD04 would win hands down

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Saabracadabra9000 said:
...Does anyone know if a TD04HL-15G will fit my 1989 2.0T 9000 and if so what modifications are needed?

Regards,

Al
Isn't the TD04HL- 15G used on trhe NG900?

I have just changed the compressor on the TE05-12B for one from a Toyota Supra, it has a larger exducer and boom! does it have alot of power:lol:

Its so cheap and easy to do, why buy a whole new or second hand turbo honestly.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I voted T3 - it's just so damn practical for a daily driver, especially in the city where I am. I like the lag because that way I can stay in the low range and get good fuel economy...but then the power is there when you need it...:cheesy:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
having just fitted a TD04 to my 9-3 in place of the T25 i think i may have to change my vote, this is an excellent charger with good spool up time and it never runs out of steam :roll:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi Boxman, I take it you had to get a TD04 manifold to fit to your engine? Is there an equivalent Garret turbo to the Mits TD04? Would that be a garret T4, if there is such a thing, or would that be something a totally different animal?

·
Registered
54 Posts
t25

so what would be the best to get i have the t25 i think on my 96 9000 2.3fpt
would the td04 fit straight on ? if so would it give better performance on its own or would i need an ecu upgrade ?
would a turbo from an other car fit these saabs which would give better performance ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just a quick question.

Is there any other cars that we can get a suitable (bolt straight up) TD04 out of? Cause aero's are pretty thin on the ground here in aus, wrecked ones even more-so. And I think my CD probably needs one....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love the TD04 in my 9000 Aero.

Spools up real quick and holds 1.4 Bar (23psi) all day long, right up to 6000rpm.

Dash turbo guage goes out of the red and into the black towards the fuel guage.. hehehehe :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Paul Taylor said:
I love the TD04 in my 9000 Aero.

Spools up real quick and holds 1.4 Bar (23psi) all day long, right up to 6000rpm.

Dash turbo guage goes out of the red and into the black towards the fuel guage.. hehehehe :D
Paul, i,m regularily heading for the 3/4full on the fuel gauge @ WOT conditions with a std TD04, now as you say the majority of the work is done around 1.2 to 1.5Bar but you do get a hell of a torque surge with the extra bit. ( went from hitting the full to 3/4 when I installed a 2.5" smooth bore piping & bigger IC)
Turbo will produce 1.2Bar with the waistegate disconnected & wide open !
Turbo is 160,000 miles old, has always run with a stage 1 higher boost & been on this latest set up for the last 10K miles, not a puff
Only thing better than a td04 will be a "tweaked" td04 :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
cdcarlsson said:
Hi Norman,

What gets tweaked and what effect does it have??

Nick.
I,ve got my spare TD04 presently with SAABflight for this "tweak", I honestly don,t know in detail what they get done, time will tell when I get it back
A typical upgrade is a clipped 18vain compressor, but this mode is more than that.
As always, its a package thing so you could consider
tube manifold
dialed in cams or change cams to focus the performance
Gas flowing all the inlet outlets to the turbo ( i,ve done the compressor outlet to the IC via bigger smooth bore pipes & bends matching the turbo outlet & it gave a measurable improvment i.e. gained a few psi at the throttle)
i.e. tweaking can be just optimising around the turbo, so it has to do the minimum amount of work to give the maximum output @ the throttle, not the turbo. Although not yet done, just building a quality smooth bore pipe with nice long tapered reductions for the air inlet will provide gains

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I've got a td04 on my '95 900se with the 2.0 and the 5 spd, and i think it's great, it feels like there's no end to the power. cruising along at about 70 i can mash the pedal and it just flys up to and past 100 like it's nothing. good fun.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
What about all those "big boy" turbos, like garrett 30, R30, 40? Nobody wrote anything about them yet...it looks like if you want to make some real power, over 500hp you have to go for those buddies...

Klim

41 - 60 of 74 Posts