SaabCentral Forums banner

which turbo is best

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have an 87 saab 9000 with the T-3, its a decent turbo for stock. i dislike the turbo lag but i want to change it, will the TD04 bolt directly on or do i have to use and exaust manifold made for a td04 turbo

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
student411 said:
will the TD04 bolt directly on or do i have to use and exaust manifold made for a td04 turbo
you will need a manifold for a garret t25 or the mitsi td04 ie any 2.3 or a 2.0 from 93

·
Registered
311 Posts
Aero on TD04. even wihout upgrade , easy big surge in 4th around 2500RPM.low gears tear tyres off.would like to upgrade turbo tho but dont think i drive hard enough to justify it (as my enquiry re abbott air intake)

Punch

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sure,the T25 is sorely lacking in top-end,but it works really well in day-to-day situations and feels pretty potent for point and squirt manuevers.I think it's a good compromise,especially with a few mods.Nice easy torque.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi,

With the TD04 being a Mitsubishi turbo, is the mounting pattern common for jap tuning companies like Greddy and HKS, ie are there high performace turbos that can replace the TD04, or have i heard wrongly?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Andy B said:
Hi,

With the TD04 being a Mitsubishi turbo, is the mounting pattern common for jap tuning companies like Greddy and HKS, ie are there high performace turbos that can replace the TD04, or have i heard wrongly?

Thanks
The Td04 being as small as it is make is hard to upgrade effectively. I would think one would need a bunch of reworking to fit a different model, even of a moderate size gain. On the other hand, I can speculate there are many available cartridge upgrades to increase the efficiency.

Or you could commission a Disco Potato to do the job...

·
Registered
593 Posts
disco potato fits (ask marrk)
Garret gttb 30 fits..(just )..I have one... no modification necessary !!

·
Registered
593 Posts
as far as I remember (its been away for over a week now)

It comes in around 3 k which is too high imho
I am in the process of sorting the cam timing and fitting a tubular exhaust manifold which should help spool up a tad (and a few xtra gg's)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alex said:
A friend of mine is running a Cosworth style T3 exhaust housing with T4 compressor and modified JT downpipe on his '87 9000. The car really needs setting up properly now.
I am the owner of this car.
The Turbo should be great but the engine powering it was a bit disappointing. The engine was a 2.0 turbo with modified pistons, 2.3 head, separate breather tank and Golf Rallye injectors. I didn't have any torque/boost below 3200rpm and the rev limiter cut in when it was on full song. this car has since died of rust and most of the components are being installed onto a 1991 2.3 Carly so it should be a more flexible turbo with the larger engine and DI.
If only someone could update the LH map.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am lookin to upgrade my 1992 9000T, but i was wondering what intake manifold you use. If you need to have one made, where do you get it from. I am looking at getting the TD04 and intake from an aero. Will this do much or do I just need to buy a bigger turbo like the gt2871r? Will the aero intake be able to handle this much air? Thanks

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm just killing time and am checking out the 9k forums. I've got a 9-3 with a T25 now. Everybody is always telling me to go up to the td04hl-15t #5 or #6, but I love my little T25!!!! And Maptun stage III can put me at 265 with a little tweaking, so its T25 all the way for my vote!!!!

R

·
0 Posts
Well, I think mine has the T25 and that pulls hard-ish to 3500 then goes mental to the red line, so I'll vote for that one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
even though the original t3 has more lag but it does have a lot potential it held 19 psi on my car until i went to a t3 super 60 and i am now running 23 pai and it doesnt fade and pulls until you stop and it was a direct bolt on so my vote goes to the t3

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
What have I got?What have I got?

Hi, I don't know exactly which turo I do have. It's a 92 CSE,FPT. The turbo is REALLY small, not much bigger than a clenched fist. I thought all turbos started from like a reasonable size(if you know what I mean), but this thing is rather sorrowful!!

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I like my T25, it feels a lot more brisk than my cousin's NG900's (whatever it has in it). Sadly I have yet to feel the TD04 but I hear that it's a monster.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I was happy with my TE-05 until my boss who knows about turbos and fast cars told me its a guttless wonder,:eek:

I know a chap that has the T3 and it does have a nice top end, most of these turbos are pretty normal IMHO, the problem is getting a turbo to fit:x

How big is the GT28? would it fit a 900 mannifold? I am not looking for massive power, just an easy stress free 220Hp, this would give me the power to weight ratio i want but it would be nice to have 4.5kg per Hp:lol:

D

·
0 Posts
tdo4 versus t25

I have had 9K's with both...modified and stock. Many claim the t25 spools up faster. It is a good turbo, nice spool up, loses a little at the top end. A propery modified t25 car will keep good boost to 6k rpm. I have one that does this. The td04 IMO spools up pretty much as quick as the t25...but, maintains the boost better at higher RPM's.
On balance the td04 gets the nod. You could put that turbo in anything short of 400 hp and be happy.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts