SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone catch the US version of the "The Office"? I must admit I was expecting it to be much more witty. Maybe I just need to wait for the characters to develop more? :confused:

Wish they would run the UK version over here. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,605 Posts
I tried to watch it the last two weeks. Its not funny at all. I just love how NBC promotes this show. "best comedy in years" by some High School paper from Lincoln Nebraska. :roll: You won't see it next fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
we absolutely died when we heard they were going to try and make a US version of The Office....from the advertisement it looks like they really tried to copy the show pretty closely. When will we Yanks learn that we know nothing about duplicating British Humor?!? We broke down and bought the DVD collection of the UK version's first season.....hilarious!

could you imagine a bunch of Americans trying to remake something Monty Python?!?:nono;
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,170 Posts
Personally I found the British version of The Office deeply unfunny as well. Monty Python - that's proper comedy :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
The Office is an odd one. It's so toe curlingly excrutiating to watch that you can hardly laugh while it's on. The funny thing is, when you meet your mates the next day, the conversation goes "I couldn't believe it when Brent..." and you all have a laugh about it.

I think it's very much in the tradition of British comedy - see Fawlty Towers and Alan Partridge - the embarassed silence is the key!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,030 Posts
"The Office" is one of those love/hate shows. Personally it just makes me cringe with embaresment, give me some BlackAdder Goes Forth anyday. :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
The Office and Coupling are both shown regularly in the US on BBC America. I must admit to a strong dislike for The Office, though I think Coupling is very funny (in a Three's Company kind of way).
The trend of translating British shows for American audiences is... misguided. Though one can certainly point to successes. Reality TV shows are probably the biggest commercial successes. While not as good, American Who's Line is still worth watching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
finklejag said:
I guess NBC tried to copy the British show Coupling also. That only lasted a couple (no pun) episodes.
LOL. That show bombed here!

I was really excited for The Office...who knows it may start to get good?!?!?!?

Rollergirl...with all the rave reviews I have heard of the UK version...I may as well get the DVD's myself. I get such a kick out of silent embarrassment...so funny! :p
 

·
Saab Mad
Joined
·
14,069 Posts
Like Jez and Kermit, I found The Office to be too cringeworthy. Perhaps it's too well observed that it doesn't allow the escape into laughter that brings us to watch comedy in the first place.

Go watch Blackadder if you want comedy :D

Baldrick: (turns back) Well, I have heard there's good money to be made down the docks, doing favours for sailors.
Edmund: Favours? What do you mean? Delivering messages, sewing on buttons -- that kind of thing?
Baldrick: Erm, not quite.
Edmund: (starts to stand) Baldrick!
Baldrick: My Lord?
Edmund: Are you suggesting that I become a rent boy?
Baldrick: Well, good-looking bloke like you, posh accent, nice legs -- you can make a (bomb?). Just stick a pink carnation in your hat and, er, make the old sign.
Edmund: I'd rather die.
Baldrick: Oh, fair enough, that's all right, then. I'll just put the kettle on while we wait, shall I? (turns to leave)
Edmund: (reaches out and grabs Baldrick's shoulder, turning him round) On second thought, with a slight alteration, your sick and sordid plan might just work.
[at docks, Baldrick is dressed in Edmund's clothes. His hat has a pink carnation in it, and he holds a sign reading "GET -IT- HERE." He bounces seductively as a burly sailor named Arthur strides up.]
Arthur: Give me a kiss and I'll give you a penny.
Edmund:(comes from round the corner) A penny?!
Arthur: Well, alright then -- tuppence!
Edmund: Oh, all right, go on.(disappears behind the corner)
Arthur: Nothing fancy. Just a peck. I miss my mum, you see. When I a little kid, my mother always used to come up--
Edmund:(appears) Look, get a move on! He's a prostitute, not an agony aunt!
Arthur: Go on, please! Just a little peck on the cheek, and say, "There there, Arthur -- Mummy'll kiss it better, and you shall have a story."
Edmund: Well, I don't know. Do you do requests, Baldrick?
Baldrick: What, kinky stuff? Yeah, I'm game.
Arthur: Oh, go on, please!(crying) I miss my mother so much. I mean, she was like a mother to me!
Edmund: Well, alright, go on, Baldrick. (disappears)
Baldrick: (starts to reach up to Arthur's cheek, but pauses) I've forgotten what I'm supposed to say.
[Arthur cries]
Edmund: (appears, fed up) Get out of the way; I'll do it. (takes the sign) There there, Arthur (*smooch*). Mummy kiss it better, and you shall have a story.
Arthur: (excited) What kind of a story?
Edmund: Well, I don't know ... one about a squirrel, I suppose.
[some time later]
Edmund: ...and then Squirry the Squirrel went...
Arthur and Baldrick: (everyone has their arms around each other) ..."Neep neep neep!"...
Edmund: ...and they all went home for tea.
Arthur: Ah, thanks very much, me ol' shivering mateys! That was wonderful. (turns to Edmund) Now then, how much do you charge for a good hard shag?
Edmund: (nervous) A thousand pounds.
Arthur: A thousand pounds? You've got to be joking!
Edmund: Well, I'm sure we could negotiate. (tosses the sign to Baldrick)
[Arthur smiles at Baldrick]
[back at Edmund's house]
Edmund: Right, so we've got sixpence.

__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
I agree with you, Matthew. However, the trouble is, as much as I liked Blackadder throughout, I cannot bear to watch it now.

'A lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.', comes in handy now and again, but The Office did not flick my switch, nor Ricky Gervais, for that matter. :(

Is it me, I wonder?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
zahpod


I noticed that your avatar is from Little Britain ; that's one of my absolutely favorite shows (especially Dafyd in Llandewybrefy!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
philo said:
...see Fawlty Towers and Alan Partridge - the embarassed silence is the key!
I just loved Fawlty Towers! Have watched it over the last 30 years hundreds of times and weren't there only 14 episodes? Anyway, what a shame they never made more. Best show ever. That and Good Neighbors.

I'll have to check out this new Office show.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
Fawlty Towers = 2 series = 12 episodes. John Cleese and his then Mrs., Connie Booth, did not want to spoil it by writing any more. Hence FT, left at the top of the tree. Wise move.:D

Available on DVD, of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
Lol Definatly Blackadder for me i absolutly love that programme...My wife doesn't get it at all and looks at me gone out when it is on because i am in bits.I watched the office but i cannot say that it is a commedy great all the lads were raving about the dvd politics which Ricki does stand up in they all thought it was hillarious and lent it to me i watched it all of the way through and i can honestly say i found it the most boring unfunny thing i have ever seen. I was a big fan of Vic reeves big night out back in the late 80,s "you just wouldn't let it lye would ya":cheesy:
Matthew said:
Like Jez and Kermit, I found The Office to be too cringeworthy. Perhaps it's too well observed that it doesn't allow the escape into laughter that brings us to watch comedy in the first place.

Go watch Blackadder if you want comedy :D

Baldrick: (turns back) Well, I have heard there's good money to be made down the docks, doing favours for sailors.
Edmund: Favours? What do you mean? Delivering messages, sewing on buttons -- that kind of thing?
Baldrick: Erm, not quite.
Edmund: (starts to stand) Baldrick!
Baldrick: My Lord?
Edmund: Are you suggesting that I become a rent boy?
Baldrick: Well, good-looking bloke like you, posh accent, nice legs -- you can make a (bomb?). Just stick a pink carnation in your hat and, er, make the old sign.
Edmund: I'd rather die.
Baldrick: Oh, fair enough, that's all right, then. I'll just put the kettle on while we wait, shall I? (turns to leave)
Edmund: (reaches out and grabs Baldrick's shoulder, turning him round) On second thought, with a slight alteration, your sick and sordid plan might just work.
[at docks, Baldrick is dressed in Edmund's clothes. His hat has a pink carnation in it, and he holds a sign reading "GET -IT- HERE." He bounces seductively as a burly sailor named Arthur strides up.]
Arthur: Give me a kiss and I'll give you a penny.
Edmund:(comes from round the corner) A penny?!
Arthur: Well, alright then -- tuppence!
Edmund: Oh, all right, go on.(disappears behind the corner)
Arthur: Nothing fancy. Just a peck. I miss my mum, you see. When I a little kid, my mother always used to come up--
Edmund:(appears) Look, get a move on! He's a prostitute, not an agony aunt!
Arthur: Go on, please! Just a little peck on the cheek, and say, "There there, Arthur -- Mummy'll kiss it better, and you shall have a story."
Edmund: Well, I don't know. Do you do requests, Baldrick?
Baldrick: What, kinky stuff? Yeah, I'm game.
Arthur: Oh, go on, please!(crying) I miss my mother so much. I mean, she was like a mother to me!
Edmund: Well, alright, go on, Baldrick. (disappears)
Baldrick: (starts to reach up to Arthur's cheek, but pauses) I've forgotten what I'm supposed to say.
[Arthur cries]
Edmund: (appears, fed up) Get out of the way; I'll do it. (takes the sign) There there, Arthur (*smooch*). Mummy kiss it better, and you shall have a story.
Arthur: (excited) What kind of a story?
Edmund: Well, I don't know ... one about a squirrel, I suppose.
[some time later]
Edmund: ...and then Squirry the Squirrel went...
Arthur and Baldrick: (everyone has their arms around each other) ..."Neep neep neep!"...
Edmund: ...and they all went home for tea.
Arthur: Ah, thanks very much, me ol' shivering mateys! That was wonderful. (turns to Edmund) Now then, how much do you charge for a good hard shag?
Edmund: (nervous) A thousand pounds.
Arthur: A thousand pounds? You've got to be joking!
Edmund: Well, I'm sure we could negotiate. (tosses the sign to Baldrick)
[Arthur smiles at Baldrick]
[back at Edmund's house]
Edmund: Right, so we've got sixpence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
when it comes to clever and entertaining wholesome humour the british take the lead. all thoes shows, monty python is awsome! hilarious. even shows like the original avengers with dianna rigg (she made the best emma peel) the small jokes that go through on that show are great. speaking of which, has anybody ever seen a boxed set of the avengers? i rarely see it on tv and a friend of mine has some on vhs, but i was wondering if their is a boxed set? the one show i used to watch that was all canadian was Royal Canadian Air farce, canadian politics are a joke and that show really pointed it out.

(edit)-oh and did anybody every see father ted?? i now its not "british" but oh man-good stuff!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
woywitka said:
(edit)-oh and did anybody every see father ted?? i now its not "british" but oh man-good stuff!
Father Ted was filmed in Scotland ! But yes I loved that programme :D Next to Blackadder it was the best comedy show on :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,975 Posts
I could'nt watch the office, it was very much too close to home, I work in an open plan office (cube farm) and my boss reminds me too much of Brent, also feared becoming a Brent clone when i was a temp manager for 6 months, especially being a musician, it made it even worse.

I have to live with this 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, not going to go home and watch it on TV aswell.

Balckadder, Faulty Towers, Father Ted and Monty Python (mAybe even Rad Dwarf) are on a plinth of their own, cannot be touched.

Does anyone remember Absolutely? Stoneybridge town council, shadwell, and the man on the bog? I'd love to get hold of that on DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,608 Posts
Can't stand Ab Fab. Argh! :eek:
Miss Saunders has ideas above her station and talent, IMHO.

What about the League of Gentlemen, then? Are you local?
Harry Enfield, brilliant, before it all went face lift and breasts, when he went to Sky TV? (although IMHO, Paul Whitehouse is so, so, over-rated. Best go back to the plastering, mate.)
Stella Street - superb!

Porridge stands up well, after 30 years, as do some (but by no means all) 'Til Death Us Do Part and On The Buses episodes.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top