SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Interesting, I would think a turbo hybrid would have been a better point to start off though. It goes well with the ev concept

·
Registered
237 Posts
What makes them think that they'll be successful with an EV?
They're losing most if not all of the very small clientele they already had.
Who's going to go from a Turbo beast to a limpy EV?
I sure as hell won't buy an EV car. If I wanted one I'd probably get a Volt anyways or a Tesla if I'm looking for the performance.

Is it just me or this makes absolutely no sense?
What credibility does Saab have when it comes to electric vehicles...NONE
I just have the feeling that this will take them under once more and after that they will not be any 3rd chance and SAAB will be gone forever!

Give me my V6 Turbo back and keep your ridiculous EV.
:evil:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
or a Tesla if I'm looking for the performance.
I completely agree with your skepticism and I'm quite happy with my Aero as well but what's to stop the new Saab from being on par with Tesla? They came from no where with an EV and things seem to be going fairly well for them. Who's to say that NEVS can't great the same on a (hopefully) more affordable level.

As you said they are going to alienate the population they currently have. I can't own a vehicle that can only travel 200 miles at a clip and my Explorer sure as hell won't be the long distance hauler.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely agree with your skepticism and I'm quite happy with my Aero as well but what's to stop the new Saab from being on par with Tesla? They came from no where with an EV and things seem to be going fairly well for them. Who's to say that NEVS can't great the same on a (hopefully) more affordable level.
And now that Fisker is in a sinking situation, things may look even better for Tesla in N. America:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324659404578499111055833832.html

http://news.investors.com/technology/061213-659801-tesla-motors-gets-baird-analyst-price-hike.htm

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just don't see them being successful.
On the market there's only a few cars that really came out of the EV lot.
Everybody knows about the Volt and the Prius. Can you think of the one Honda,Nissan, Mitsubishi, or even ford manufactures?
No?
Exactly, that illustrates my point. It is a very tight and hard market to get on. There is virtually nothing to separates the Nissan Leaf to the mitsubishi i Miev (what kind of name is that anyways). And on top of that, you add the fact that the technology is not affordable yet.
So to pick a niche for a comeback you're either insane or extremely sure of yourself. Unless they come up with some innovating technology or a really really really really really good looking EV I don't see them being successful.

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just don't see them being successful.
On the market there's only a few cars that really came out of the EV lot.
Everybody knows about the Volt and the Prius. Can you think of the one Honda,Nissan, Mitsubishi, or even ford manufactures?
No?
Exactly, that illustrates my point. It is a very tight and hard market to get on. There is virtually nothing to separates the Nissan Leaf to the mitsubishi i Miev (what kind of name is that anyways). And on top of that, you add the fact that the technology is not affordable yet.
So to pick a niche for a comeback you're either insane or extremely sure of yourself. Unless they come up with some innovating technology or a really really really really really good looking EV I don't see them being successful.
I'm not sure the Volt or Prius fall into the same camp as pure EV like Fisker and Tesla. Volt is an EV first but with gas engine as recharge apparatus (no plug-in necessary, unless you run out of gasoline for the gas motor). The Prius (and Toyota/Lexus, Ford, Hyundai/KIA, Nissan/Infiniti just to name a few brands) is a true hybrid in the sense that propulsion comes from either electric drive, gasoline drive, or both simultaneously. There are other forms of hybrid drives that differ (ie: mild hybrid like GM cars). These differences in hybrid technologies, real-world performance and costs strongly affect their levels of market appeal (or lack thereof), market penetration and adaptation.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
607 Posts
I live about 25 miles from the Tesla manufacturing plant and see the cars on the road around here fairly regularly, so I checked out their web site for their sales pitch, and so far I'm convinced EV has a place on the road, especially as EV technology and engineering improve.

A couple of the biggest selling points for me were:

1. The average distance driven per day per person is 40 miles, and my driving fits that profile.

2. The engine is quite simple, with no transmission, coolant, oil, hoses, etc. to need maintenance.

3. Power and torque exceed gasoline and diesel. Do you know that the so-called diesel locomotives pulling train-loads of cargo are hybrids? The diesel engine is only to recharge the giant electric battery that actually does all the work moving the train, and that idea was developed 90 years ago.

4. The conversion from miles per gallon is 89 mpg, combined highway and city.

Electric cars have a lot of potential, and the market for them is just getting started, and with more demand prices will drop and performance will improve. I'd like to see the day an electric car races in NASCAR or Indy, with changes of batteries instead of re-fueling.

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
3. Power and torque exceed gasoline and diesel. Do you know that the so-called diesel locomotives pulling train-loads of cargo are hybrids? The diesel engine is only to recharge the giant electric battery that actually does all the work moving the train, and that idea was developed 90 years ago.
Some are diesel hydraulic, although that's rare :) But yes, using an engine to generate electrical power to then run motors is nothing new.

Nissan do their "Leaf" electric car. It's does slightly less miles per charge than a c1910 US electric car I saw on a TV program :lol:

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some are diesel hydraulic, although that's rare :) But yes, using an engine to generate electrical power to then run motors is nothing new.

Nissan do their "Leaf" electric car. It's does slightly less miles per charge than a c1910 US electric car I saw on a TV program :lol:
I don't care if the Leaf runs on perpetual motion. I ain't gonna be seen in a car like this:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.saabcars.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

·
Registered
55 Posts
fwiw, I drive an EV as my daily driver. It's a self converted 1995 Saturn that I've been driving for ~2 years now. :cheesy: I have around $20k into it and only have a 50 mile range :eek: (LifePO4 batteries, should be good for 10+ years) but the concept is viable. My daily driving is only 30-40 miles and I still have other cars for longer trips (like the 9-3 convertible!).

I pine for a Tesla, but they are out of my $$ range! Leaf... meh. I'd rather drive my Saturn. Saab? Maybe. Lets see what they can do!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Here is a 93 concept that I found, not sure if it is before NEVS or not, but I like it. The roof line is odd , but over all a great looking car.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I started filling out an application. I may continue. It's been a while! Oh the skills I could contribute...
Wait, I'm a mailman and contractor in Canada.
Back to reality...
Originally I was disappointed they chose the 9-3 platform to build uppon. But now seeing the concepts... It ain't so bad looking.
I wish they would keep a petrol turbo in the mix. But I can't see it happening. China NEEDS electric cars. (That's the market.)
Lets just hope they make them screaming fast! And affordable.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts