SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope these "preliminary specs" are very, very close to what we actually see...
Drivetrain
Drive wheels: front, all
Engine: 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder, 3.6-liter turbocharged V
Horsepower: 260 (4-cylinder), 350 (V6; CG estimate)
Torque: 260 lb-ft (4-cylinder), 325 (V6; CG estimate)
Transmission: 6-speed automatic with manual shift capability, 6-speed manual
This is from http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-saab-9-53.htm . Hopefully they know what they're talking about.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
I hope these "preliminary specs" are very, very close to what we actually see...

This is from http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-saab-9-53.htm . Hopefully they know what they're talking about.
Sounds fishy. Why/how could CG get details like these far advance of the Frankfurt unveiling in the Fall ? :nono;

See this part:

"The buzz on powertrains has the 2010 Saab 9-5 offering 4-cylinder and V6 engines, both turbocharged per another brand tradition. For reasons of cost, performance, fuel economy, and emissions, the base powerplant should be GM's 2.0-liter "Ecotec" 4-cylinder with direct fuel injection. This already powers the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Red Line roadsters and the new SS versions of Chevrolet's Cobalt coupe and sedan and HHR compact wagon. Horsepower should be at least 260, thus matching the elderly Saab-designed 2.3-liter turbo-four of today's 9-5. The rumor mill also predicts a new high-performance 9-5 Aero with a blown version of GM's corporate 3.6-liter V6 tuned for upwards of 350 horsepower. That would be the most potent engine in Saab history, and probably too much for the brand's usual front-wheel drive, so the Aero would likely include the new XWD all-wheel-drive system now coming online in the smaller 9-3 models. Transmissions? U.S. customers will likely be limited to a 6-speed automatic with manual shift capability, though a 6-speed manual is sure to be available in other markets and could be offered here too."

But if correct ....... YAHOOOO :D

The 3.6T, isn't that just the Caddy CTS's 3.6 Direct Injection nominally rated at 304hp, and I guess turbocharging adds about 56hp ?

I won't believe these specs until we get better confirmation in the next few months. But interesting, though.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
The insignia with the same engine (2.8L V6) / powertrain is only getting 320hp, I assume saab will be the same, opel would be furious if we got more, they were already pissed we got XWD a year ahead of them :lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
The 3.6T, isn't that just the Caddy CTS's 3.6 Direct Injection nominally rated at 304hp, and I guess turbocharging adds about 56hp ?

I won't believe these specs until we get better confirmation in the next few months. But interesting, though.

a 56hp gain means allot of potential for the aftermarket mods. Although, I would not really trust a GM motor with a turbo strapped on it.

K

·
Registered
117 Posts
The insignia with the same engine (2.8L V6) / powertrain is only getting 320hp, I assume saab will be the same, opel would be furious if we got more, they were already pissed we got XWD a year ahead of them :lol:
Arh, my bad. be interesting if it is a 3.6T - with AWD that will put it up against the alfa 159 Q4, and be quicker! Hmmm

·
Registered
117 Posts
Arh my bad, so if the SAAB gets a 3.6T instead of a 2.8T, that will make for some interesting torque numbers!:D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Better not buy a 9-3 then :p
That's what I was thinking. ;)

As the owner of one of these 2.0L 260hp Ecotec engines, I can say that's it's a superb engine. Great power. Fun to drive. Amazing fuel economy. GM ought to be using these engines in *everything*.

We've got 26,000 miles on our Solstice - not a lot - but it's been flawless so far. The fact is that we've had fewer problems with it (as in, ZERO) than I had in the first 26k miles of my 9-3, which had been back to the dealer for problems several times by 26k. So :p

;):)

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
a 56hp gain means allot of potential for the aftermarket mods. Although, I would not really trust a GM motor with a turbo strapped on it.

K

lol dont ever drive a gnx then, or the current 9-3 ecotec 4cyl which has been ungodly reliable, or the v6 turbo currently in 9-3 aero's, which with just a tune gives a 335i a run for its money...

and its 46hp more, not 56.

GM fails at a lot of things, there engines though are still #1. Nobody can touch the LS V8's, and there ecotecs are insanely reliable. The 2.0 DI found in the solstice/sky/cobalt are pretty fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts