SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2-1/2 weeks later, the last last thing to do is try and get the hood to line up and close. It was off by about 10mm on the driver side which was pushing it into the door, so obviously it couldn't close all the way.

After trying to adjust the hood every which way...after being distracted by the lack of 5th gear and zippo boost issues, I decided I had enough. Time to pull out the ******* repair manual! To get it closer to fitting I just decided to pull the radiator support on the left hand side forward by about the same distance the hood was off...of course that meant loosening the support bolts upper and lower and the bumper bolts as well. That little ratcheting tie down strap worked perfectly with the telephone pole :)

Then I drilled new holes for the 2 10mm bolts and 1 12mm bolt that holds the support at the corner. Hard to tell from this pic but the two corners (left and right) are pretty close to even. All I can think is that somewhere either the boneyard support was off a smidge or the inner fender was compromised more than it appeared.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So now it's closer but not perfect and not locking down. But for today, I'll take closer! Over the next couple days I'll beat on it, push it and pull it, and see if it will line up right. The other thing is the replacement hood might have tweaked as well...it was sitting in the guy's backyard for a couple of years so it woudn't surprise me if it was :(

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And one last pic from the scene of the crime, taken with my crappy phone camera. Poor ol' car...

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
well with that view(impact) I would probably say your problem is that you have a bit of twist in the car front end

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well with that view(impact) I would probably say your problem is that you have a bit of twist in the car front end
Yep, no doubt that is probably the most likely of scenarios...the Jeep was traveling at a pretty good clip when we met and there was a lot of force moving across the front of my car from right to left.

That said, the car tracks straight, steering is taut and runs like a top...better now after the accident because I went through pretty much everything that could be tightened, tweaked or tuned. I'd say that it's back to 99% of its form and I'll continue driving Ziggy like that until something grenades, ie transmission or headgasket.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
with the engine supports and and skid plate porbably kept the line across form centre of wheels preety straight, just a small twist at the top, but as long as it's running truew and gets to look right that's all that matters ;ol;;ol;

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with the engine supports and and skid plate porbably kept the line across form centre of wheels preety straight, just a small twist at the top, but as long as it's running truew and gets to look right that's all that matters ;ol;;ol;
Ay ay Cap't...that's the plan :cheesy: In the meantime, my eyes are scanning the horizons looking for another one...if the right vert comes along, well then I have a great parts vehicle in this one! ;ol;

1 - 7 of 7 Posts