SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1475 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Well things usually move too slowly for this car to be considered a "project" but I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon... And I'm going to follow SaabDaniel's awesome project thread format:

THE GOAL:
-To own, maintain, improve, and most importantly, DRIVE a great classic 900 convertible. I want to build and maintain a balanced car - mild custom performance, better-than-factory handling, OEM+ styling, and an enjoyable driving experience that is as reliable as possible.

I focus on these categories: Performance, handling, and appearance. Now, I don't plan on going overboard in any one of those categories, but rather to have a good balance of them all.

Stock power: 160 bhp & 188 ft/lbs
Power goals: 300whp & 300 ft/lbs

The Car:
-1987 900 16 Valve Turbo Convertible
-Purchased in August 2001 w/89,000 miles
-Ordered from factory with SPG kit!

Performance:
-Full engine rebuild, bored .040 over with Mahle forged pistons, Total Seal rings, balanced rods & machined crank
-Megasquirt v2.2 Standalone engine management (fuel/ignition/boost control)
-Ford EDIS Distributorless Ignition system, crank-triggered wasted-spark
-Garrett T3/T4 Hybrid .60/.63 w/Stage III exhaust wheel, 360* thrust bearing & gapped oil seal
-Ceramic coated TA-31 "hi flow" turbo exhaust housing
-Siemens 60lb/hr fuel injectors
-SS Mandrel-bent equal length header, 2000* ceramic coated
-Custom 3" downpipe, 2000* ceramic coated
-Custom 1.5" external WG atmospheric dump pipe, 2000* ceramic coated
-TiAL 38mm external wastegate set at 12 PSI
-Innovate wideband o2 sensor
-Precision 350hp intercooler (26 3/4" x 6 3/8" x 3.5")
-2.5" mandrel-bent aluminum IC piping
-Swedish Dynamics Kevlar/Sintered Iron clutch & Sachs pressure plate
-2.3L head & 2.1L intake manifold (lowered compression ratio to 8.75:1)
-NA intake cam & 85 900T exhaust cam
-Knock LED in dash
-Magnaflow straight-through performance muffler
-Solid motor mounts
-Frankenstein transmission: bigger pinion bearing/strongest shift forks/strongest 5-speed case
-SaabSavior Short throw shifter
-3.0 bar fuel pressure regulator
-Cold-air intake in inner fender, 3" intake piping
-Oil catch can

Handling, etc:
-18x7.5" Sportmax 962 wheels, gunmetal w/polished lips
-225/35R18 Yokohama Parada Spec-II tires
-Quaife LSD
-Saabrally steel diff cover
-SaabSavior aluminum rally skidplate
-Slotted & cross-drilled rotors w/ceramic performance pads(not really handling, but don't want to add another section!)
-Bilstein HD all around
-Intrax lowering springs, 1.7" drop, springs cut in front for more drop.

Exterior:
-Later '92-'94 five-piece convertible rear spoiler (larger)
-Airflow bumper center bar delete (for FMIC)
-Original SAAB convertible rear decor panel
-Original SAAB e-code headlights, smoked
-8000k H4 HID headlamp retrofit kit
-Black painted calipers & brake rotors
-Viggen-style exhaust tip
-OEM "correct" Airflow foglights, yellow protectant film
-All-red taillights
-New paint January 2006 - edwardian grey PPG basecoat/clearcoat
-DIY new convertible top
-Full c900 Airflow Kit w/fluted wheel arches (european market only)
-body color matched grille, meshed
-Smoked clear corners/smoked side indicators
-Fully debadged

Interior:
-CORBEAU GTS-II Black/Grey Microsuede sport seats, Corbeau custom-fit rails
-Black microsuede covered interior panels
-Dyed black door panels/carpet/trunk
-ProSport Digital wideband AFR gauge, Oil pressure gauge, Oil Temp gauge
-30hg/30PSI Autometer boost gauge in headlight switch
-Rare SAAB Fittipaldi Rallye steering wheel (taken from rallye-spec 99 EMS)
-N/A gauge cluster (no turbo/APC gauge)
-leather shift boot
-genuine saab leather shift knob

Wish List/To Do:
-Steady-state dyno tuning
-Hood vent grafted to fender
-Transmission oil cooler
-Rear seat delete
-Nitrous?

With each post here I'll explain the next part of the project, and will update the mod list to keep it current.

Recent pictures:

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The next step in the project:

-Group9 APC
-Dodge SRT-4 front mount intercooler
-30lb/hr Ford Motorsport "red top" injectors
-JSP Stage I fuel chip

Got the IC in yesterday:

The plan is to mount it at the mouth of the airflow kit, below the bumper core (not up in the grille). The endtanks point backward, similar to the volvo FMIC that is currently on my car. I plan on using basically my current piping setup to plumb the IC initially. Eventually I'll go for a 2.5" piping kit from eBay.

I previously modified my wg actuator when i clocked the turbo for the volvo fmic install, so I want to keep this configuration. I will be adapting the 9000 wastegate actuator using a custom fabbed bracket, the 9000 actuator is desireable to use because it bolts to the bracket, so a custom bracket can be made and easily installed. I'll probably make a few up and hand em out so you all can clock your t3's :D

As for the injectors, they're an eBay find so they'll be going straight to Dr. Injector for testing, new rings and pintle caps.

The APC is on the way, but I haven't given up on the "newest APC mod" thread that supposedly creates "an MBC with knock detection." I am really curious about getting that working.

For the fuel chip, it's delayed a bit b/c of a bad chip supplier... going to have to wait at least another week. First up is the new IC install, which will happen this weekend. Stay tuned :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
philjohnhb said:
So why have you gone for the Dodge I/C and, what's more to the point, how much?
first off, the dodge boys are ditching theirs like its the end of the world. they're good til 300 bhp but its a really popular upgrade, to HUGE units. so they're practically throwing theirs away, I got mine for $45.

second, its one of the few stock IC's that the endtanks point backward, just like the volvo IC. so I figured, I won't have to run any new piping.

third, its the right shape. it should look great in the opening of the airflow kit, and look pretty menacing from a BMW's rearview :cheesy: (I'm taking the mesh out, currently hunting for a set of airflow foglight grilles)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
holy crap talk me out of it!

just found an '87 turbo hatch for sale in my area... with a newly rebuilt scanwest 5-speed! shot-peened and everything! the car is a german import, has ALL receipts since '95... it's got a rebuilt head, lightened flywheel, pro modded APC, E-CODES, fpr, injectors, etc. its a black 3door.

i am SO excited. i have a complete SPG kit and set of wheels just WAITING for an opportunity like this.

but its been sitting for two years... and that's the sort of condition my vert was in when I got it... there ended up being many many many skeletons in its closet. the price is right but... what should I do? cannibalize it for parts? restore? pass on it?

the other thing is... the interior is shot. i haven't a clue where I'd come up with a new interior. well gang, any thoughts??

·
Registered
831 Posts
IronJoe said:

just found an '87 turbo hatch for sale in my area... with a newly rebuilt scanwest 5-speed! shot-peened and everything! the car is a german import, has ALL receipts since '95... it's got a rebuilt head, lightened flywheel, pro modded APC, E-CODES, fpr, injectors, etc. its a black 3door.

i am SO excited. i have a complete SPG kit and set of wheels just WAITING for an opportunity like this.

but its been sitting for two years... and that's the sort of condition my vert was in when I got it... there ended up being many many many skeletons in its closet. the price is right but... what should I do? cannibalize it for parts? restore? pass on it?

the other thing is... the interior is shot. i haven't a clue where I'd come up with a new interior. well gang, any thoughts??
Sorry mate, can't talk you out of this one as I would probably kill for a car like that:lol:. Interior is no big, probably the easiest and cheapest stuff to repair (except for all those wires behind the dash...<shudder>).

·
Registered
298 Posts
IronJoe said:

Are you talking about the car in Olympia that the lady wants hauled away, with an inop clutch? I considered buying it just for the transmission. I didn't realize it's a German import with all the rest of that equipment.

I can't talk you out of it. I've practically talked myself in to it...

BTW your covertible looks awesome.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm... different car actually.

this was a CL find, its in Renton. god help me, i'm going to look at it tomorrow. :cheesy:

EDIT:
thanks for the compliment. i like your 2.1, esp the racing stripe! paint or decal?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
IronJoe said:

yeah I hads seen the add. THe shape looks a little rough, really worth it?paint looks gone too. Things like the flywheels and e-code lamps are cheap anywho. Newly rebuilt scanwest box tho? tempting. Scanwest does the best box I hear.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
woywitka said:
Newly rebuilt scanwest box tho? tempting. Scanwest does the best box I hear.
yeah I actually might pass... the scanwest box isn't one of the amazing-cryo-treated units, just upgraded to the larger pinion and shot-peened (which I don't think is enough to sway me). Besides, it's not like I have an issue with changing transmissions... I feel like I do it every year :lol:

you're in BC... cool, never noticed. let me know if ya need an SPG kit for your new 'vert!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: SRT-4 Intercooler

Well here's a quick chronicle of my new IC install. Friday night I opened the package up, and for the first time put it under the car. Of course the Volvo 740 IC was really in the way, couldn't see much. I decided that the only way to tell if this was going to work was to pull out the old IC.

First off, the SRT unit is wider. MUCH wider. I immediately saw that piping would have to be reworked a bit, either by changing angles or switching out pipes and hoses. but all in all it's a well put together unit, and I was happy to get rid of the zipties that had been holding the volvo IC together for the last 9 months.

the ole swede in for the last time:

why the unit had black paint on it, I'll never know. it was otherwise in great condition.

So I clean it off a bit and jack up the car with the old IC out. And it doesn't fit. it LOOKS like it should fit, but its hitting something.... what's that... awwwww the TOW HOOKS.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but

The tow hooks had to go. The entire reason I chose the volvo FMIC, and complained about the saab 9000 unit... Ya don't have to cut the tow hooks. Well now I'm eating my words.

So, the front bumper got pulled off, I got out dad's tiger saw and went to work, being careful not to puncture the radiator. Here's how it turned out:

still got a chunk to cut off here:

Looks like a mess, but it worked and I didn't injure anyone. So at this point, I can see how the FMIC will mount up but I'm not sure of the clearances, now that the bumper is off! How silly.

So I mock up the IC in the bumper, and it fits PERFECTLY. height is perfect between the lip of the airflow bumper cover and the top of the metal and foam bumper. I couldn't be happier. Better yet, it looks good.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The next morning, I get some silver spray paint to get rid of the black on the IC.

From this:

To this:

The paint I got was wheel paint... It shot out like glitter, not what I wanted so my IC looks very.... sparkley? weird.

At this time I started noticing all the rock chips in the airflow bumper, so it was time for some R and R. I got out my touchup paint and went to work.

I removed the mesh and noticed it had faded and looked terrible, so I washed it and shot it with the silver paint. Then i clearcoated it... Then the grille didn't match so I took it apart and did the grille too.

Now I noticed the grille's black part had become a flat, faded black so I shot it with some metallic black, looks great up close but in the pic you can't really tell.

Grille all nice 'n clean:

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OKAY back to the FMIC!

I put the bumper back on, and checked out the space I made, looked good. Lots of room. So I nervously attempted to put the IC in place, and.... a perfect fit. A fit that could not BE more perfect. Slid right in place, I barely even had to tie it in place to mount it!

It just happens that the body of my car has convenient holes on each side, a few inches from the SRT IC's stock mounting points... I used some thick copper strapping and bent it to shape, and mounted up the unit.

left side:

Now came the piping. The oddity was of course the added width of the new IC, but that just took one different pipe on the driver's side. The other oddity is that the SRT unit's intake pipe is OBLONG not round. Very strange.

So I tightened up all the hoseclamps and cut off the twine, IC was in place and sturdy. So I bolted on the refreshed grille and buttoned it all up.

unfortunately I didn't get any good shots of it because the [email protected]&*##@ license plate casts a shadow and blocks the view.

Here's a better one up close

Keep in mind I still haven't washed the car yet!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The full gallery is HERE. With all these pics and more at hi-res.

Driving Impressions:
Well it certainly is cooler. No IC blocking the radiator has kept the engine temps down across the board, yesterday was HOT and I drove around, pushed it, still very cool. The pipes still don't hang lower than the skidplate, so that's good. Some of the pics are deceiving and they look incredibly low.

As we know, a better IC doesn't *make* more boost, but in my case I'm seeing what I believe is less pressure drop at high PSI compared to the volvo unit. I haven't upped the boost yet to see how much more potential this IC has, but the car feels stronger now. And there's peace of mind that the plastic endtanks won't rupture ;-)

All in all this was a very successful install, and if anybody out there with an airflow kit doesn't have a FMIC yet, get this one. They're dirt cheap and a great fit, provided you don't care about tow hooks. But really.... with the airflow kit how would you get to those tow hooks anyway? I have AAA so I don't care :cheesy:

Sorry if that was TOO MUCH detail, but I figured I'd try to answer some questions in advance. Plus, to my knowledge no one else has ever used this IC before, so now you know!

EDIT:
Using a *VERY* rough guesstimate, it looks to me that around 30% of the IC that should be getting direct air flow is blocked by the license plate. It... has to go.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
That looks GREAT!

Way to go!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
philjohnhb said:
That looks to be the best FMIC installation i've seen on one of our cars. It looks like it is only an option for those of us with an airflow kit - right or wrong?
phil, thanks for the comment but I'm sure as heck not worthy of that honor, there's people who spent way more time and money on their installs than me, if anything i'll take the "bang for the buck" award haha.

I'm thinking this is an airflow-only option, just because I think there would be a fair amount of cutting involved in the front bumper. But anything is possible, and if you're on a budget like me it works.

1 - 20 of 1475 Posts