SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've searched all over Google for a definitive answer on this question, but I think I've got a new spin on a common problem. I've got problems with the rear lights on my '01 Saab 93. I think it's gremlins!!

When in park or drive, the two running light bulbs (21/5s) on the left side are lit. I think that's supposed to be that way. But the two running light bulbs on the right are not lit.

I know it's not the bulbs, because they all work the same way if you swap them around. (All the bulbs other than blinkers in the trunk are 21/5 volt bulbs).

So my thought was, maybe the wiring harness is bad? However this can't be the case, since the blinker works, and THE BRAKE LIGHTS WORK - even in the bulbs that don't light otherwise. (By the way, try being able to observe your own brake lights sometime. I had to shove a pair of garden sheers between the brake pedal and driver's seat...)

So what the heck is going on? I know it's not the wiring, I know it's not the bulbs, and I know it's not a fuse. It HAS to be something electronic, correct?

Also, I am not talking about any of the lights which are on the actual hatchback door itself - e.g. the row of LED brake lights by the roof of the car, the reverse lights, or completely useless one-sided fog light. (What is that thinking behind that, anyway? A "please pull me over, Mr. Police Officer" light?)

I've read threads where people said they cleaned contacts on the wiring harness. But that can't be it because all of the sockets actually WORK AS BRAKE LIGHTS, just not as running lights. I've also heard of there being grounding problems and rusted grounding bolts into the chassis of the car. But again, the blinker and brake lights work.

And one more odd clue: When I swap the light assemblies from right to left (plug them into the wrong side of the car) the perfectly functioning left assembly does not work on the right side (another indication it is electronic). However, the right assembly HALF works - one of the running light bulbs comes on.

Any ideas? I'm all ears - I've got an asymmetrical light setup that will get me a fix-it ticket if I don't get it figured out

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Hi guys,

I've searched all over Google Google?, why Goo, their primary duty is marketing, secondary is service, but at no-cost???
Better to search here at SaabCentral.for a definitive answer on this question, but I think I've got a new spin on a common problem. I've got problems with the rear lights on my '01 Saab 93. I think it's gremlins!!

When in park or drive, the two running light bulbs (21/5s) on the left side are lit. I think that's supposed to be that way. No...yes!!..These are side clearance lights, operating with the tail lites??. But the two running light bulbs on the right are not lit. Go to England, then these will work and those on the "road hazard" side will not..:cheesy:. Check your light switch position.
Check the Easter Egg thread for side clearence lights.:cheesy::D:):lol:

I know it's not the bulbs, because they all work the same way if you swap them around. (All the bulbs other than blinkers in the trunk are 21/5 volt bulbs). I wonder if this is correct, check your manual. The lights for my '96 are probably different.

So my thought was, maybe the wiring harness is bad? Lets hope that she was never in an accident, body men know nothing about electrics.. However this can't be the case, since the blinker works, and THE BRAKE LIGHTS WORK - even in the bulbs that don't light otherwise. (By the way, try being able to observe your own brake lights sometime. I had to shove a pair of garden sheers between the brake pedal and driver's seat...) I use a brick or two - very handy to have around..:cheesy:

So what the heck is going on? I know it's not the wiring, I know it's not the bulbs, and I know it's not a fuse. It HAS to be something electronic, correct?

Also, I am not talking about any of the lights which are on the actual hatchback door itself - e.g. the row of LED brake lights by the roof of the car, the reverse lights, or completely useless one-sided fog light. (What is that thinking behind that, anyway? Sweden, and parts of America can be very foggy at times, this rear fog lite prevents, or tries to prevent, rear end accidents...an excellent idea...I remember cars with just one rear lite, no back ups, no directionals, probably no brake lites. Drivers had to learn hand signals.. A "please pull me over, Mr. Police Officer" light?)

I've read threads where people said they cleaned contacts on the wiring harness. But that can't be it because all of the sockets actually WORK AS BRAKE LIGHTS, just not as running lights. I've also heard of there being grounding problems and rusted grounding bolts into the chassis of the car. But again, the blinker and brake lights work.

And one more odd clue: When I swap the light assemblies from right to left (plug them into the wrong side of the car) the perfectly functioning left assembly does not work on the right side (another indication it is electronic). However, the right assembly HALF works - one of the running light bulbs comes on.

Any ideas? I'm all ears - I've got an asymmetrical light setup that will get me a fix-it ticket if I don't get it figured out
As long as you have two tail(running) lights and two stops, and 4 directionals, no sane policeman should bother you.
The way in which these lights work is complex it can be confusing and confounding beyond belief !!!, study your manual.
Lets bring back the car without any lights, and without any instruments...those were the days...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I'm reading left side/right side...but, is it a front or rear tail/running light that is not working?
Have you owned this car since new?
Maybe a pic is in order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts