SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions on the piping sizes of the exhaust system. What is the diameter of the stock piping? Like from the cat to the muffler. Does anyone see any problems i may run into?

I am thinking about fabricating my own cat back system and was wondering if anyone has any experience in this.

I just dont feel like paying 500$ for some pipes and a muffler.

Thanks,
doid

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
there is a member on here who bought two dynomax super turbo mufflers and custom fab'd is own y-pipe to the cat and mounted the mufflers to the y-pipe. His username is glowing something. it has numbers, but I can't remember them

It sound great and wouldn't be expensive as nearly as expensive as buying all the piping especially if you can do it yourself.

I'm looking into it also

The only drawback is that the downpipe and cat is the bottleneck of the system. It would run so much better with sport cat/dp combo out through a dual exhaust

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning on a Nordic stage 2, but didn't want to but the rip off JT catback for 500$ and was going to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I was planning on a Nordic stage 2, but didn't want to but the rip off JT catback for 500$ and was going to do it myself.
Rip off? Not sure thats the correct term to use. A shop will charge you $300 for new cat back piping. Also need a new muffler and new resonator if you're changing the stock one. At that point with parts, shipping, and labor you'll be close to $500 anyway. Unless you're doing the piping yourself. I don't think the JT is a rip off. If you want something more custom then go your own route. I went with a bigger resonator and two magnaflow's. It's a great growl and sounds mean. It's a little loud for me with WOT but I enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Just a picture from my phone at the moment. It's dirty and a crappy picture but you get the idea. The right muffler has sagged a dew 1/8's the past few weeks. I have to have the shop pull it up a little.

·
Registered
133 Posts
end of story

sorry guys but hey man.... just listen to me. bc I have the SAME car.. and have done the SAME thing. yes $500 is a ripoff and hell no it wasnt $300 just for the pipe. the diameter of the pipe im pretty sure is 2.25 however my magnaflow had a diameter of 2.5 i think. anyway it cost me $150 for muffler and $150 to have it installed with piping. many people have done this and its a street series i dont remember the cerial number.. sorry it was A year ago. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3812431 heres my ride. pm me if you have ANY questions

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Which bumper lower is that?

·
Registered
691 Posts
there is a member on here who bought two dynomax super turbo mufflers and custom fab'd is own y-pipe to the cat and mounted the mufflers to the y-pipe. His username is glowing something. it has numbers, but I can't remember them

It sound great and wouldn't be expensive as nearly as expensive as buying all the piping especially if you can do it yourself.

I'm looking into it also

The only drawback is that the downpipe and cat is the bottleneck of the system. It would run so much better with sport cat/dp combo out through a dual exhaust

yes me..hehe

3'' from the turbo to the Y then its 2.5'' fromt the Y to the 2 muffler (dynomax super turbo)

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d64NAa7j3zQ

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I quite like that, i take it that it is not aero style as it doesnt seem to have flared out ends?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
ah right, i guess it must be the angle, its quite hard to tell!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does a cat-back exhaust include the cat? or is it just the resonator and the 2 mufflers?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Just get a shop to make you an exhaust. I went that route and I'm very happy with how things turned out and I saved myself some money in the process. Unless you are going to install one of the aftermarket exhausts yourself you will probably come out cheaper getting a shop to make you one. Don't forget you have to pay for shipping on that exhaust and then if you are not installing it a shop will charge at least two hours labor to install and that's if they like you. Most will try to get 3 or 4 hours out of you. Make sure it's all mandrel bends and you should be fine. I bit the bullet and just had the entire thing done all at once (full turbo back exhaust) and pricing out the lowest cost components (cat back+downpipe w/cat) I still came out ahead and in the process found a shop that's was willing and able to build other custom pieces I needed for my car as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts