SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find these two articles interesting (last paragraph in each):

http://cars.about.com/od/saab/fr/ch_0592x.htm?terms=Saab

"Although the 9-2x is about as Swedish as sashimi, the corporate-wide experiment that produced it has to be labelled a great success. Saab gets a (kind of) entry-level automobile with proven high quality to draw the customers into its North American showrooms. Once they walk in the door, the Saab dealers can offer them a full range of higher-margin automobiles. The Saab name comes with a substantial helping of cachet in Europe and in certain areas of the US and Canada. While Saab became the "yuppie car" of the 80s and 90s, it never really caught on as a viable alternative to BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Lexus, which dominate the sports luxury segment. The 9-2x seems to be an attempt to reach out to its original buyer group. Some readers may recall Saabs (and, for that matter, Subarus) had an almost cultish following in places like Colorado and Vermont in the 60s and 70s. These areas attracted large numbers of alternative-culture types protesting the war in Vietnam and alleged American cultural excesses. With the children of those same people taking to the streets to protest today's issues (climate change, globalization, and the mess in the mid-east), it seems the time is again right for another entry-level Sube...er, Saab"

http://cars.about.com/od/2001/fr/CH_05_Saab93.htm?terms=Saab

"The 9-3 is perhaps the most enjoyable four-door I've driven this year. It's quick and manoeuvrable with seats that are both exceptionally comfortable and very supportive. You can spend a whole lot of time in any of these seats without stiffening up. The 9-3 is not inexpensive, but for your money you get a car whose unique appearance sets it apart from not only the BMW 3-Series itself but also from BMW wannabes. In addition, you're getting a vehicle that's extraordinarily well equipped with safety features, including headlight washers and General Motors' OnStar system. The styling of this latest 9-3 is evolutionary rather than a complete break with the Saab's storied past. Although you'll know it's a Saab as soon as you see it, compared with the styling of earlier Saabs it has managed to avoid looking, well...weird. Summing up: the 9-3 is a reasonably priced, exceptionally comfortable Euro-style sports sedan for youngish premium car buyers who love to drive but who emphatically do not want to see mirror-images of themselves at every stoplight."

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thats right, and the cult thing is true too :)

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the Saab holy trinity is ..... St. Per Eklund, St. Stig Blomqvist and St. Eric Carlsson :lol:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
SaabKen said:
And the Saab holy trinity is ..... St. Per Eklund, St. Stig Blomqvist and St. Eric Carlsson :lol:
Especially with Eklund's new 9-3SS - 0-60mph in 2.2 seconds!!! Would put a smile on my face! :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
20Ted said:
Especially with Eklund's new 9-3SS - 0-60mph in 2.2 seconds!!! Would put a smile on my face! :cheesy:
I don't think that'll put a smile on your face so much as tear it off. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts