SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had another rolling road session yesterday. The only difference between the last session and this one was the addition of full 3" system with race cat ( the only other variable was the fact the the first one was in Feb and yesterday the temperature was in the 80's ). This was done to find out the starting point before adding a Maptun ECU upgrade. The car enginewise is standard apart from Hi Flo air filter and now 3" exhaust.

Power now peaked at 245.3 bhp ( Previous 237.4 bhp )
Torque increase was only evident at 4000 rpm peaking at 281 ft/lb ( Previous at that point 262 ft/lb )

The biggest difference was at higher revs. At lower revs, smetimes the power output was slightly down ( highest being 6 bhp )

4000 previous 199.6 now 214
4500 previous 226.1 now 223.5
5000 previous 227.1 now 234.9
5500 previous 237.4 now 245.3
6000 previous 219.4 now 245.2

Now we just have to see what a modified ECU will produce.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thats a really interesting comparison - and not one I've seen done. I'm currently running 3" JT with Race cat on the Aero, ITG filter and modified airbox and 50mm Allard IC. I'm currently running standard ECU after selling my stage3 and heading towards Maptun Stage 4.
Im surpised that your torque increase is 'more' than the bhp. _ I expected similar torque and a bigger increase in top end power (cause that's what it feels like driving it)

My car (with std ECU) currently feels very smooth and fast a loves to rev (i.e. not like standard) and always gives full standard boost but the uprated ECU will give give you buckets more torque, much quicker response and better mpg. i.e No matter what happens you wont get more than the standard 1.08bar boost (or whatever it is). You'll get about 1.4bar tops on the stage 3.... totally different ball game.

Keep us updated if you dyno again - I'd like to see the differences. I reckon I'll only get to dyno mine when I do stage 4

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The torque at 4000 revs was a bit of a bounce back. It looks as though the boost was cut back at just over 2000 revs and then bounced back to the figure of 281 ft/lbs. Most of the time it was inline with BHP figures. The only other difference was at 6000 revs where the torque only tailed off to 214.6 ft/lbs where the previous figure was 192 ft/lbs.

I'm hoping to end up at about your target area - Maptun stg 3 -4. You're right, it does seem to rev more freely though. It should take about 3 weeks to get the ECU sorted but I'll probably wait for a group day before going back on the dyno to save money.

·
Registered
731 Posts
skint said:
I'm currently running 3" JT with Race cat on the Aero, ITG filter and modified airbox and 50mm Allard IC. I'm currently running standard ECU after selling my stage3 and heading towards Maptun Stage 4.
No wonder you're skint mate :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a 2.5" cat-back hirsch exhaust and I removed the cat recently, also an electronic boost controller set up at 1.2 BAR and free flow air filter set up in the wing. Goes a lot better than standard aero now already.

Should I go for the 3" downpipe and stage 3 ECU? I mean is it worth it? Price / Performance wise? 600+ Euros for the ECU is still kinda costly as most of our German car friends get their chips for $5 and then install the software in them :roll:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a 3" downpipe and 3" cat back system from a UK firm, called something like Moosebits. Downpipe £160, Cat back system £207. I bought a s/steel race cat from Dynatech in USA at £90 ( exchange rate not so good now though ) and a piece of 304 s/steel pipe from Milner Off-road for £19 a metre delivered, to join them all together. All fitted beautifully with the supplied clamps. Happy with the result and a bit of a saving on the full system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts