SaabCentral Forums banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Engine is in, went to fill with fluids and the brand new water pump and seal (halves) did not take, it is a waterfall. Couldn't believe it. Car is going to have to sit for a while.

This started happening.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Engine is in, went to fill with fluids and the brand new water pump and seal (halves) did not take, it is a waterfall. Couldn't believe it. Car is going to have to sit for a while.
Possibly the block pipe o-rings? They're notorious for pinching. I now test fill the system to check for leaks before I button up the PS, cobra etc. Had a pinched o-ring set me back half a day.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Possibly the block pipe o-rings? They're notorious for pinching. I now test fill the system to check for leaks before I button up the PS, cobra etc. Had a pinched o-ring set me back half a day.
It was coming out right where the halves join.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I've been gone for a minute but I'm back now.

So the 1999 wagon had to go, rust was too much, clutch was toast, just not worth fixing it, as much as I wanted to. I was sad to do this.

So I found a 2000 9-5 Aero Manual wagon with 67k miles, no engine/no trans, hadn't seen the road in 6-7 years, it was in North Carolina. So I drove 1700 miles in 2 days to tow it home.

This is exactly the color combo, year, style I wanted, believe it or not, this was weirdly a dream car for me. I wanted a no rust rolling shell so I could build it EXACTLY how I wanted.

First things first. Tear down the new engine

Randomness inbetween like cleaning/prepping
Clean out the back, test wheels

Remove everything and clean

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Assemble the engine

Mess with the suspension

Bolt the interior together with fun

Put the engine in

Tune it

Restore things

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Polish it

Drive it

Take the daughter for ice cream

This started in March, I just officially registered the vehicle for the Road Saturday and have a few hundred miles on it already.

2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon Manual
67,700 miles
Black and tan
02+ Aero vented seats
06 engine with pcv intact
king cobra with T5 cams
New head gasket and timing chain
B08 manual transmission
All sorts of updates I can't remember but I got rid of alot failure points
New bushings everywhere (subframes, rose/lateral, trailing arm, LCAs...all rubber because I'm old)
Auto level suspension in the rear
Roll out floor.
02+ exterior mirrors with auto dimming
Custom stereo setup
Projector retrofit
LEDed interior EVERYWHERE
04+ 300mm vented rear brakes

So much more that I have done and lost track of.

This car is exactly how I want it, I eliminated the weak points or as many as I could. A/c works, it cruises great, ride is nice, it goes when I want it to. Its the perfect daily.

Things left to install is the Wagon spoiler, my grille I made, and some window tint.

As for my 04+ Sedan, I got it running and did the first oil change after startup but the brand new thermostat wouldn't open, a hose burst and I was sick of it for a while, so I parked it and let the project sit. I am going to get back to it here in the next few weeks now that my daily driver is sorted.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I concurr, very nice!

The valve cover looks great! Now paint the rest of the car that color!

I'll take myself to icecream when I finish mine 😂

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Got some groceries

It got wet:

Then it got dry:

Returning soon....the Sedan

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Thanks guys!

I just picked up some new wheels for Summer sessions (the current wheels will become Winter wheels) and dropped them off for powder coating; Color: BMW Silver :D

HINT on the wheels: OEM and period correct to the car.

Will begin dusting off the Sedan here soon. Hope to have that on the road by July 8th/9th to start the break-in procedures.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
So the Wagon needed some fixes off the bat
LCA Bushings that were brand new took a ****

Wheel bearing went, press it

and subframe bushings were bad

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Underside so clean

69 giggity

Cockpit

Parking situation

Going on adventures

Daughter says she loves this car

And then this happened...that's right both my builds are running and driving

Still working out some kinks, but its on the road.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
That’s Great! Do you have a lift in your garage? Also, what tools are you using to press bearings? Do you find it useful in removing and installing? I have a screw type installer but so far have only used it to instal. I don’t know it will remove very well.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
That’s Great! Do you have a lift in your garage? Also, what tools are you using to press bearings? Do you find it useful in removing and installing? I have a screw type installer but so far have only used it to instal. I don’t know it will remove very well.
I wish I had a lift, my friend does. It was so nice to not be on my back for once for a job.

It made the backyard subframe bushing press in so much easier...maybe 60 minutes total.

He also had a 12 ton press, that did the bearings, but I have the wheel bearing press kit with screw type. You have to hammer the crap out of the hub and bearing to get them out really. Just buy a bearing and hub, not worth trying to save them.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
From today

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
So drove the Sedan a few times now, did it first oil change at about 85 miles on the engine.* Next one at 500 miles

-Small oil leak on feed line for turbo (should be resolved)

-Small oil leak on oil return off turbo (think its still leaking, only one drop of oil after I turned it off though)

-Small oil leak on oil pump housing or crank seal (bugger, easy repair but not good it didn't take)

-Suspension has a few clunks from sway bar end links

I plan to get 1500-2000 miles on it before winter, drop the oil pan (this car is supposed to run on synthetic) so need to check the pan, do oil leak fixes, make some adjustments and hopefully vinyl wrap this car.

So Wagon got some new wheels, these are the wheels it would have came with in 2000.* Love the look.* Wagon just needs a brake booster for repairs.* I want to add a trailer hitch to it for extra "this car does everything factor"

Clean ecopower

Dirty ecopower

It rained today while I was putting in my new garage door opener on my side of the garage; I did my wife's side 2 years ago and it was super quiet, bought another one, said the only way I would install it is if I got that car running and it moved under its own power.

And then...we traded in her 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for a 2019 Subaru Forester.* Mitsubishi is looking like its going the way of Suzuki with Nissan mismanaging money as it is, don't think they will make it much longer than another 2-3 years.* Took the equity we had and ran.

The Forester is fantastic we got the Limited with the Power liftgate, harmon kardon, panoramic roof, and stuff.

Parking lot

And I modded it

121 - 140 of 144 Posts