SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm so about two weeks ago, I took my car into the mechanic my family uses, because supposedly they're gonna pay for the repair and they want someone they can "trust". So I say, whatever, if they're paying for it I don't care who fixes it...

So I take the car in on a Wed., go to pick it up Thursday and the problem HASN'T been fixed. The car won't shift into gear unless it's turned off, classic clutch cable problem. So I go back inside and tell them it doesn't work, but might just need an adjustment. They have the gall to tell me "you can't adjust the cable on a Saab, it's an auto adjusting cable". Now you may think, no big deal he's a mechanic he knows what he's talking about. WRONG, after buying a Saab I learned as much as I can about the car, and currently the only reason I havent done to many of my own repairs is a lack of space and tools (which should change once I move out and into a house with a guy with his own lift, etc.). So I even go outside, and SHOW THEM how to adjust the cable (10mm nut on fender comes off, move clips on fuse box, push aside box and voila theres the cable). Nope they tell me, that won't work. They're gonna put in a different cable, but at no fee to me.

Cut back to Friday, I call after school to see if I can pick up my car. Nope, car still won't shift right, they're gonna drop the frame Monday and replace the CLUTCH (not clutch cable, the entire CLUTCH). At this point I start swearing at the dick on the phone, telling him I want my car towed home etc. etc. I'll ****ing work on it myself...my father hearing me kicks me off the phone, and tells the mechanic to do whatever.

Monday comes and nothing, as do Tuesday and Wednesday. Finally, Yesterday (Thursday) comes and I call, the car's fixed and I can come pick it up. I go down, total bill comes to not the $500 he said it'd be for a clutch repair, oh no. In his infinite wisdom it comes to $940. Not only did he replace my clutch, he replaced the throw-out arm, polished the fly wheel, and a whole bunch of other trivial bull****. My father pretty much makes me go outside and take the car home, because I'm about to grab a tire iron outta the shop and go GTA on that guys ***. So I go over to my car (which they parked on the street....seriously), get in, take off the E-break, turn it on, shift into first, and TRY to leave. Oh no, not that easy, whatever dickwad who parked my car decided "hey, lets pull up on his e-break with all his force, thus locking his break into place".

So I go back inside, tell them what happened, and eventually they get the break unlocked and working. So I drive home, and my dad arrives shortly after. I get inside, and he tells me that I might have to pay for the repair, because it's MORE than they thought it'd be. Keep in mind, they offered to fix my car, as long as I went to their piss poor mechanic. So after awhile I just leave the argument figuring what's done is done, at least I have a functional car, albeit a dirty car. Because apparently while it sat a week there they thought it'd be good to poor sawdust and dirt all over it and make my red car essentially brown.

Cut to today, after school. I get out my car stuff and wash my car, and as I'm sitting back looking at the car I notice a new knick on my door. So I go over, try to rub it out, nada, but I figure it's some stone chip I've never noticed before. Ha, then I look at the front of the hood, which now has several new scratches on it, that I know weren't there before. So not only am I out $1300 ($940 for second repair, $287 for first one which SHOULD have fixed the ****er), they decided that hey, lets mar the cars beauty while we're at it.

So in the end I get a scratched, but working car for $1300 and Dave Whitcombs is getting a monkey wrench to the back of his skull. So I don't know what to do here. I'm going to go back down Monday, and have a chat with this guy and demand some money back because this is ridiculous. However I have the feeling nothing will come out of it, this guys a total Douche Bag. So I'm wondering do I have a case for small claims court? Or would the Better Business Bureau be able to do anything? I mean I was out a car for a week, not only misquoted, but completely lied to. And on top of all that they don't even take care of the car. If something along the above lines doesn't happen, his shop is going to burn, and I'll gladly go to jail smiling.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Aaargh, these stories are way too common. If you happen to have "before" pictures of the scratches, then you can make a good case for small claims court. Also, you really shouldn't have to pay for the initial "repair", since it wasn't. The point isn't really to take them to court and win, it's to convince them that you're likely too so that they knock several hundred off of your bill. They pretty much have to unless you specifically authorized the nearly double charges.

Anyhow, talking calmly to the manager or owner (not the guy behind the register) might help. Call and make an appointment with one of these folks, don't just stumble in since they won't be able to find him if you just show up.

Did you pay cash or credit card for these various repairs?

Unfortunately, the better business bureau just records complaints, they don't enforce anything. Since most shops have a ton of complaints, one more won't worry them about their reputation.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JMarkert said:
Aaargh, these stories are way too common. If you happen to have "before" pictures of the scratches, then you can make a good case for small claims court. Also, you really shouldn't have to pay for the initial "repair", since it wasn't. The point isn't really to take them to court and win, it's to convince them that you're likely too so that they knock several hundred off of your bill. They pretty much have to unless you specifically authorized the nearly double charges.

Anyhow, talking calmly to the manager or owner (not the guy behind the register) might help. Call and make an appointment with one of these folks, don't just stumble in since they won't be able to find him if you just show up.

Did you pay cash or credit card for these various repairs?

Unfortunately, the better business bureau just records complaints, they don't enforce anything. Since most shops have a ton of complaints, one more won't worry them about their reputation.
Combination cash and credit cards. The guy I talked to wasn't the manager, nor just some guy behind the counter, he's the owner. Talking calmly didn't work, and I shortened and exaggerated a little with my actions. But I tried being polite at first, that got nothing from him aside from the typical "Go away and leave the Adults alone" response.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Man, bad situation! Sorry. It's a complete drag about the body damage, and that's the part that would still bug the s*** out of me long after I paid off the bill, but I kind of think you're fighting a losing battle on them taking responsibility unless you can really prove anything, and it doesn't sound like you really can.

My 2c: personally, I'd have a more serious issue with my dad on this one, let alone the shop. I gotta say, unless there are family dynamics you haven't gone into, your old man owes you every dime all this stupidity ended up costing you, no matter how long it takes him to cover it. He made the decision to spend the money, so it's his debt. Or if he's determined to stick you with the bill, the very least he can do is stand up to his so-called friends at the shop and try to get the bill lowered a bit. Is he willing to do that? Plus, you (or your dad if it was his credit card) can definitely dispute whatever charges went on the card, on the grounds that you didn't agree to the extra stuff.

Good luck!
T

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
This probably has nothing to do with it, but who bought the car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts