SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my new 9-5 and I have noticed that the steering wheel controls don't illuminate with the rest of the panel when the head lights are on. Is there something I need to activate or should is this a fault?

:confused:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
timh said:
I took delivery of my new 9-5 and I have noticed that the steering wheel controls don't illuminate with the rest of the panel when the head lights are on. Is there something I need to activate or should is this a fault?

:confused:
As far as I have ever seen there are no lamps in the steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
759 Posts
my 56 plate new estate vector sport does not do this either. I have not really noticed the difference between my two cars

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
gghh said:
yes its a premium saab - no volkswagen or opel - so there are no lights :cry:
The idea behind having the controls on the wheel is so that you can keep your eyes on the road. :eek:

Therefore ... no lights are needed. :cheesy:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
They are also contoured so you can feel what button is what in the dark. They become second nature and you won't even look at them after a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
SaabScott said:
The idea behind having the controls on the wheel is so that you can keep your eyes on the road. :eek:

Therefore ... no lights are needed. :cheesy:
This is true, however I think this was SAAB's excuse for not spending the extra money to make them illuminate personally. :confused:

Kermit said:
They are also contoured so you can feel what button is what in the dark. They become second nature and you won't even look at them after a couple of months.
This is also true; while I don't need them to be illuminated for operation I wish they were. I don't need a cooled glovebox but it's nice to have. I even contemplated taking the buttons apart, hollowing them out a a bit and installing some small LED's in there. Probably more trouble than it's worth...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
...I don't think they've ever had lights in 'em, so I don't think it was a cost cutting thing... Honestly, how expensive would lights be to do. Add maybe $10 to the car tops?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kermit said:
Just more little bulbs to blow!
Enough of that smutty talk :nono;

·
Registered
759 Posts
Personally i think;

it is so it does not distract you

and for cheapness

and i only get confused as i drive two differnt models!!!

I do know my new speakers are cheaper but that is GM!

I think that my car will be last true saab engine!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Remember, even the models that GM had no say in the design had steering wheel buttons that didn't light up. I really can't see how it would be a saving money issue.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Remember, even the models that GM had no say in the design had steering wheel buttons that didn't light up. I really can't see how it would be a saving money issue.
..fair enough...it just chaps me that cars almost 1/2 the price of mine when new have illuminated steering wheel controls for the radio, cruise, and sometimes even the phone. Doesn't the 9-3SS have steering wheels buttons that light up? I can't remember..

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
j006 said:
..fair enough...it just chaps me that cars almost 1/2 the price of mine when new have illuminated steering wheel controls for the radio, cruise, and sometimes even the phone. Doesn't the 9-3SS have steering wheels buttons that light up? I can't remember..
I agree, it's a distraction issue IMO. Saab is the company that put Night Panel in their car, I think they figure the reason the buttons are on the steering wheel is so you don't have to look down.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
i dont think it is a safety thing - i think its saving money. i had some hire cars in the last month and all had lights in the steering wheel and all other switches. (like steering wheel controls, mirror, roof, interior light etc)
If this is not illuminated for safety the the illumination could be easily switched off by the nightpanel feature...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
gghh said:
i dont think it is a safety thing - i think its saving money. i had some hire cars in the last month and all had lights in the steering wheel and all other switches. (like steering wheel controls, mirror, roof, interior light etc)
If this is not illuminated for safety the the illumination could be easily switched off by the nightpanel feature...
Why would putting at tops 4 lights behind switches be cost saving... Honestly...

$10 dollars per car, tops. That's it. And you know they would just charge us $10 more. Woo... Quite a savings...

Not that it really matters, just seems a little weak to be cost saving considering now that GM owns Saab, the steering wheel has lights. (On 9-3SS, I think someone said...) I just think they thought it was unnecessary and defied the point of steering controls.

If they really wanted to cost save they wouldn't put real wood in the dash (You'll notice they stopped once GM started production). Just seems like a weak argument to me.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
But GM starts to remove lights from the car - like the ones in the rear passenger doors and the lights in trunkdoor in cars MY04 and up - doesnt save that much money but they are doing it.

Othert cars are even able to close the windows by remote and so on... Even in low price GM cars.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
gghh said:
But GM starts to remove lights from the car - like the ones in the rear passenger doors and the lights in trunkdoor in cars MY04 and up - doesnt save that much money but they are doing it.

Othert cars are even able to close the windows by remote and so on... Even in low price GM cars.
My car doesn't have lights in the trunkdoor or the rear passenger doors... and it's a 2000... Am I misunderstanding?

Yeah the reason those cars do the window remote thinger is because they have the Bosch ECU, Audi uses Bosch also.

Do they still have the fridge glove box?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I mean the small lights in the trunk door of the estate version - this small lights which light the floor when the door is open - new cars dont have them anymore.
In the bottom of your rear passenger doors must be small lights in a 2000 car - my 2002 Aero has them and i think they are there from 98-2003.

For the window close feature - its not an ecu thing. Its the missing sensors for protection when closing the windows by remote, so i think its cost cutting. Saab could do this with the dice ecu but for some (cost) reason they didnt. Saves some wiring, the sensors and some development work for dice ecu.

The glovebox cooling is still there.... maybe its cutted in the final edition...:eek:

Same is true for seatheaters - Saab had them for decades as standard now they are an option :evil:

·
Registered
182 Posts
While were on the subject of interior lights the buttons on the drivers door (boot and petrol cap) do they light up cos i swear they did when i first got the car:confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts