SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
itsaid on the consumer reports for the 9-3 overall it is worse than average and the 9-5 is average I thought the years of the 9-3 was better can anybody shed some light on this lolIt went from 2001-2007

·
Registered
7 Posts
Consumer Reports is a little confusing when it comes to rating the reliability of the 9-3. In their 2008 Buying Guide they rate the reliability as "much worse than average." HOWEVER, in the December 2007 volume of Consumer Reports (page 6) they indicate the 9-3 is "newly recommended" due to improved reliability. In other words, the reliability has improved to at least "average", and the 9-3 has performed well in their safety tests.

I believe the 2008 Buying Guide was actually put together before the December 2007 Consumer Reports was published. Therefore, I'm betting the Saab 9-3's reliablity is OK. At least that's what I'm telling myself since I just bought one.

In addition, True Delta has conducted their own independent research (see http://truedelta.com/results0907.php?session_code) which shows the 2006 9-3's reliability is average.

Jim

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
The other posters are correct. CR recently said the 9-3 is newly recommended and Forbes magazine claims the 9-3 ranks second to the Acure in lowest cost of ownership for a luxury car (despite high depreciation).

·
Registered
910 Posts
You don't buy a Saab for reliability, I'm on my third one and still haven't learned my lesson!

·
Registered
759 Posts
jimbenton said:
Consumer Reports is a little confusing when it comes to rating the reliability of the 9-3. In their 2008 Buying Guide they rate the reliability as "much worse than average." HOWEVER, in the December 2007 volume of Consumer Reports (page 6) they indicate the 9-3 is "newly recommended" due to improved reliability. In other words, the reliability has improved to at least "average", and the 9-3 has performed well in their safety tests.

I believe the 2008 Buying Guide was actually put together before the December 2007 Consumer Reports was published. Therefore, I'm betting the Saab 9-3's reliablity is OK. At least that's what I'm telling myself since I just bought one.

Jim

Yes I noticed this too. The "2008 buyers guide" is NOT UP TO DATE with CR's actual current recommendations.....it still lists the Toyota Camry and a recommended car, which we all know about the CR bombshell of last month when they now say the Camry is not reliable and no longer recommended....along with upgrading the 2007- 9-3 as a recommended buy.

They also say they are now (amazing!) going to base their car ratings on actual data (not imaginary "impressions" of a car's reputation ie Honda/Toyota won't get automatic recommended ratings). :nono;

1 - 6 of 6 Posts