SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my daughter's '97 SE, Automatic, (128K miles) the check gearbox and engine lights are glowing...
Today I finally took her out on a long road test, surely enough this beast starts out in 2nd or 3rd(don't know which for sure) and is also harsh entering reverse, WHEN COLD...
However, at mile 4 or 5 she was no longer harsh, and starts out in 1st, and shifting became normal.
Also the "winter" and "sport" lights started to work, after the transmission warmed up...

The warning lights are still on. Maybe $90 to the dealer and OBD II will "fix" this annoyance...

Seems as if a ATF change is in order !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sir, there is only 1 cause for this and it is the dreaded Neutral Safety Switch. It will need replaced. Dealer will ask about $700 to fix this. I bought the part online and did it myself, but I have the fortune of an extensive tool collection at my work, which was needed to get everything done and even then I would say it is only for the medium-handy person. It's not rocket science, but it does take some time, effort, and faith. I think I posted my description of the process on this site, so maybe seach for posts by my user-name and you can read it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts