SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving on the highway yesterday... stone flies up off a truck and sounded like it bounced off the hood. Figured I had another hood chip. Got home, walked around the front of the car, and found my headlight seriously cracked. Never seen that happen before.

That's the bad news. The good news is that this is a whole lot easier to fix to "new" status. Off to the u-pull!

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
You can buy just new lenses, and swap them out.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That happened to me on a motorcycle once. I was actually glad (just like you)...the lens was cheaper than repairing damaged paint.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I HOPE it's the paint if that ever happens to my SPG... headlight glass for that car is unobtanium!
My motorcycle is the exact opposite. A fairly rare (1 of 200) special edition with 42 year old original paint. The headlight glass, however, is the same one used on tens of thousands of bikes.

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
I used to have Xpel headlight protection film on my car's headlights, since I have fairly valuable original Valeo E-code lenses. I took them off when I made an attempt to fix the headlight wipers, which I failed miserably at, so I just unplugged them. The wipers did a nice job of scratching up the Xpel film. Now that they're unplugged, I should get some more. I do still have the film on the fog lights.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
I have a crazy amount of 3m protective poly film that's generally used on aircraft canopies... I made some protectors for my XR4Ti and my E320 and SHOULD have made some for the SPG's ecodes but haven't gotten around to it yet, because I have messed up priorities. :)

If you need some, lmk.

·
Registered
18,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All repaired. Took a couple u-pull checks, but I found one with a good lens... even still had the gasket/wiper-rest properly attached (we know how reattaching those goes).

While I was in there, I revisited an old project that I know Jeremy was thinking of too... adding headlight adjusters. I was all set to install when I discovered that there actually is a difference in the headlight unit aside from adding the motor: The mounting hole for the manual adjuster is apparently smaller than the one for the motor option. I'll have to dremel it out along with the requisite three mounting tabs of a slightly different size.

That was more detail work than I was up for after a hot afternoon in the u-pull, so I'll schedule it for another day when I'm fresh and up for some time in the lab.

( How it was ever worth it for Saab to have two headlight units instead of just making the manual adjuster the same size/mount as the motor... well, it boggles the mind. Even more nutty than making a different harness for non-power seat cars and leaving out half (not all, half) the wires you need to set them up).

·
Registered
18,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does that film stuff work? What's the cost for enough to do two headlights? With part supplies getting shorter, I'm thinking it's a good investment.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
649 Posts
Bob - Good news it was only a headlight.
It could have been much worse - Broken Windscreen and the results from that.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
Well, it's enough to keep debris from shattering or abrading an airplane canopy so it can't be a total waste. Back in the day Stoneguard was the go-to on Saabs and it always seemed to work. I guess you don't know if it does until it doesn't.... :)

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
Well, looks like my memory failed... I HAD put protective film on the lights... once I removed it from the car and cleaned the glass it became apparent. Whatever took out the light was substantial! The "good news" I guess is that the film is now holding the glass together.... lol?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts