SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Wrong.

It shares it with the Vectra I as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
No not a Vectra.....well, not exactly.

The 9-5 was based on the Vauxhall/Opel Calibra platform which was a modified Cavilier one (predessor to the Vectra)....IIRC.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Shares lots of underbits with the mid sized Saturn L-Series (I'm using Saturn-L wheels for my winter wheels) which is based on the Vectra.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Now when we say shares, it literally means the tiniest parts are pulled out of the GM parts bin, and really shouldn't be compared to those cars at all. IIRC, the 9-5 chassis is completely it's own, hence GM putting it on a GM chassis when the new 9-5 comes out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The 900 NG and the later 9-3 was based on the vectra platform the 9-5 is not.
There is no car maker who shares the same as the 9-5, Alfa Romeo (FIAT)was one of them who would make use of it but backed off..........:cheesy: So we are allone
what a pitty;)

EJ

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Trollspeed said:
The 900 NG and the later 9-3 was based on the vectra platform the 9-5 is not.
There is no car maker who shares the same as the 9-5, Alfa Romeo (FIAT)was one of them who would make use of it but backed off..........:cheesy: So we are allone
what a pitty;)

EJ
I thought that the 900NG and 9-3 were Cavaler based?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/64569/saab_95.html

At £28,336, the 9-5 Aero saloon is good value compared to similarly swift executives from Audi and BMW, but it simply can't compete with Germany's finest. A more worthwhile comparison would be with the Vauxhall Vectra - a car which shares the 9-5's platform. Even in performance VXR spec, the Vectra is £4,341 cheaper than the 9-5 driven here. It seems the loyalty of Saab buyers is going to be tested to the limit...
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/used_car_reviews/article450069.ece

Now in its seventh year of production, the Saab 9-5 saloon shares its platform with the Vauxhall Vectra, but thanks to a longer wheelbase, wider track and more sophisticated multilink rear suspension, the car is endowed with true executive car levels of comfort and refinement.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
valbowski1980 said:
I thought that the 900NG and 9-3 were Cavaler based?
They are, but to avoid some confusion here it needs clarifying; in mainland Europe the Cavalier name was never used and the Vectra A chassis [ng900 and og9-3] that was the Vauxhall cavalier Mk3 for the UK was known as the Opel Vectra and was in production from around 1988 to 1996 and alongside this was the Opel Calibra, essentially though they're all GM J body cars just like the aforementioned Saabs. Now enter the Vectra B; new chassis for GM Europe, sold under Opel and Vauxhall as a Vectra and by Saab as a 9-5.

You may be interested to know in my time with Ford Powertrain a colleague from Jaguar told me about a 9-5 competitive tear down report; Saab 9-5 had 47% commonality with its GM Opel stablemate.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Well, what do journo's know........:roll:

Offically the 9-5 uses what is called the GM2900 platform, and is the last car still in production that uses it.

The 9-5 isn't therefore based on a Vectra, but shares similarity in suspension components etc., rather than say a Vectra-or whatever floorpan etc.
E.g. The Vectra wheelbase is some 4" shorter than a 9-5.......;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
aeropilot said:

E.g. The Vectra wheelbase is some 4" shorter than a 9-5.......;)
Yes the 2nd quote I posted says that :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Yes the 2nd quote I posted says that :cheesy:
;oops: missed that.....but, perhaps I had switched off by then with the term true executive levels of comfort and refinement.........err, yeah, right......a Jag it ain't.....:roll: :lol:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
:lol: lol :lol:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
aeropilot said:
Reminds me of Greenstreet Hulligans (sp?) :lol:

"Are you a f***in journo?!"

missed that.....but, perhaps I had switched off by then with the term true executive levels of comfort and refinement.........err, yeah, right......a Jag it ain't.....
Yeah I definately giggled a bit when I read that... :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts