SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I took apart the console yesterday and cleaned out the window/door/roof/light switches, put some lubricant on the plungers, and now they feel great and don't stick up or down like they did (from years of spilled soda) :evil: Now I just have to get rid of some rust on the lip of the hatch, the wheel well, and a few other small spots, replace the fog light cover, the clutch, and the linkage and she'll be good as new. :D

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Excellent - did you take the whole console out, or just the switchpack? I'd like to take mine all the way out someday to clean the crud out of the grooves and the brush around the e-brake

Now I just have to get rid of some rust on the lip of the hatch, the wheel well, and a few other small spots,
These links might be useful:

www.por-15.com

www.paintscratch.com

If you have rust in the places you describe, you might want to pull the carpet up in the hatch to see whether you have any on the strut towers like I did - you can see mine here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58057&highlight=rust

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, J. We took the whole console out so we could soak it and vacuum/clean under it.

Oh, and if anyone decides to do this, take care not lose any of the contacts. Under the switches are tiny springs and plungers that can be plucked out, so the contacts, plungers, and other non-soakables can be completely removed and you can just drop the plastic portion of the switchpack into some hot, sudsy water. Then take some contact cleaner to the contact to get rid of arcing corrosion. And be ESPECIALLY careful connecting the switchpack, because it's on the fragile side and ours came very close to being scrap last night when one of the contacts must have gotten bent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts