SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I have a story kind of... anywho today I was leaving the school parking lot where we have a ton of ice and such and there was some traffic. so while I was on my way out I came to a stop sign, and stopped, well the girl behind me didn't :roll:... and boom... my new ( bought it used) 9-5 aero was rear ended by some honda...

now I was admittedly upset so i stopped turned my car off and got out (the girl stayed in her car.. apparently she wasn't worried about any damage) and looked at my back bumper... now it was a little dirty seeing as I havn't washed it for awahile.... but no scratch, dent, bump.... or anything :D... I was veeery impressed so she looked at me and I at her, I shrugged, she laughed, and we went on our seperate ways...

when I got home I looked more closely, washed off my rear bumper, and fiddled with it... it moved a little... like a very small amount less than maybe 1 or 2 cm and took some force to move... so my question to you is... is there some hidden damage I should be weary of? if so how can I detect it...

p.s. don't wanna sound cheesy but man... my old toyota would've been creamed (sorta, would've at least had a dent)... saabs are amazing safety wise... and thats said from a fender bender hah...;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
jaminnbenji said:
ok so I have a story kind of... anywho today I was leaving the school parking lot where we have a ton of ice and such and there was some traffic. so while I was on my way out I came to a stop sign, and stopped, well the girl behind me didn't :roll:... and boom... my new ( bought it used) 9-5 aero was rear ended by some honda...

now I was admittedly upset so i stopped turned my car off and got out (the girl stayed in her car.. apparently she wasn't worried about any damage) and looked at my back bumper... now it was a little dirty seeing as I havn't washed it for awahile.... but no scratch, dent, bump.... or anything :D... I was veeery impressed so she looked at me and I at her, I shrugged, she laughed, and we went on our seperate ways...

when I got home I looked more closely, washed off my rear bumper, and fiddled with it... it moved a little... like a very small amount less than maybe 1 or 2 cm and took some force to move... so my question to you is... is there some hidden damage I should be weary of? if so how can I detect it...

p.s. don't wanna sound cheesy but man... my old toyota would've been creamed (sorta, would've at least had a dent)... saabs are amazing safety wise... and thats said from a fender bender hah...;)
The issue is:

Saabs are really safe because they crumple. I doubt you have serious damage, but it can be easily hidden.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woywitka said:
The issue is:

Saabs are really safe because they crumple. I doubt you have serious damage, but it can be easily hidden.
thats what I was worried about... but I cant see anything... I guess im just paranoid... oh well it drives fine and nothing appears broken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
jaminnbenji said:
thats what I was worried about... but I cant see anything... I guess im just paranoid... oh well it drives fine and nothing appears broken
I'm sure it is fine. If It was not a really hard bump then yeah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
woywitka said:
I'm sure it is fine. If It was not a really hard bump then yeah
yea it wasn't terrible, the car shook but i didnt slide, just a jolt, she wasn't going more than 10 mph... but it was still fairly noticeable... ahh i'll live with it... got more important things to worry about like installing a high flow intake :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
You may want a body shop to look at it to be sure but pulling up the carpet in the trunk should reveal if anything is really bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
IIRC a feature of the bumpers on the 9-5 is that they are impact resistant to at least 5mph. Doesn't seem a lot, but I bet it does when you are in the car and rear-ended. ;oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
bernardc said:
IIRC a feature of the bumpers on the 9-5 is that they are impact resistant to at least 5mph. Doesn't seem a lot, but I bet it does when you are in the car and rear-ended. ;oops:
All cars by government law must have bumpers that will hold up to a 5 mph collision. I frankly wouldn't be surprised if the Saab bumper took more, and by the sounds of things, it took a 10 mph hit! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,597 Posts
Canadian regulations I believe specify 8mph minimum requirement, and the cars are no different between here and the US. I too wouldn't be surprised if it could take 10mph, especially pre-facelift.

That 3mph difference in the bumper law is why we can't get cars like the Lancer Evo up here. They sandwiched their oilcooler and FMIC right by the bumper, so it can't withstand an 8mph bump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
stipud said:
Canadian regulations I believe specify 8mph minimum requirement, and the cars are no different between here and the US. I too wouldn't be surprised if it could take 10mph, especially pre-facelift.
The 5mph requirement in the US was quietly backed off to 3mph a number of years ago. The Canadian requirement is 8kph (5mph).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
born again said:
The 5mph requirement in the US was quietly backed off to 3mph a number of years ago. The Canadian requirement is 8kph (5mph).
Really? It was my understanding that it is still 5mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SectorNine50 said:
All cars by government law must have bumpers that will hold up to a 5 mph collision. I frankly wouldn't be surprised if the Saab bumper took more, and by the sounds of things, it took a 10 mph hit! :cool:
cool... saab... cool... yea it was a jolt idk if it was a 10mph jolt tho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
SAAB 9-5 is 45% more safe than any car (on the swedish market), according to the swedish insurance company Folksam. These figures are from real accidents, not dummytests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
I love the way you refered to the car theat hit you
9-5 aero was rear ended by some honda...
unless that some honda was one of their larger suvs and her car was fine, your saab shouldn't be that bad off imo, you can look under the trunk floor for damage as well as under the car for major signs.

Side note, years back my mom was rear ended in her 95 volvo 940 by a full size chevy van at 45mhp, van totaled, van passengers took the ambulance to hospital, volvo minor whiplash to mom and sis and refinish bumper and replace bumper shocks for the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Nor_Cal_Driver said:
Side note, years back my mom was rear ended in her 95 volvo 940 by a full size chevy van at 45mhp, van totaled, van passengers took the ambulance to hospital, volvo minor whiplash to mom and sis and refinish bumper and replace bumper shocks for the car.
Holy hell... That's impressive! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nor_Cal_Driver said:
I love the way you refered to the car theat hit you unless that some honda was one of their larger suvs and her car was fine, your saab shouldn't be that bad off imo, you can look under the trunk floor for damage as well as under the car for major signs.

Side note, years back my mom was rear ended in her 95 volvo 940 by a full size chevy van at 45mhp, van totaled, van passengers took the ambulance to hospital, volvo minor whiplash to mom and sis and refinish bumper and replace bumper shocks for the car.
what can i say swedes know how to keep it safe... and real :cool:, on a side note my mom actually drives a volvo.. they're very mom-like cars
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top