SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SAAB 99 Restoration Project in Thailand

Hi SAAB Friends,

I'm a proud owner of SAAB in Thailand. Currently, I have 2 SAABs. The first one is 9-5 2.3 with TD04HL-15T which is running fast and fun with an E85 tuning by Mackanized. The other car is SAAB 9000 2.3T which is also running fast and fun with E85 by a local tuner here!

During a last few days, I had come across this beauty in a car junk yard ... the 99!

My friend encourages me to bring her back to life ... which is coincide with my though. However, she is in a vulnerable status. The engine is dead for at least 10 years during her standing to get a direct sunlight and rain ... rust is everywhere.

I am not have much concern on a body restoration as Thai garage can handle that quite well but a trim is my big problem. Where can I source those head lights/back lights/corner lights etc.

:confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow, that would be a huge project. The body looks straight, but there are noticeable bubbles under the paint which could be serious rust issues. Did you check the underside? The windscreen would be tough for you to find and you want to be sure to be careful to save the rubber gasket when you pull the glass out. The Triumph engine is also a concern, but you may be able to get parts for it.

Honest opinion? Find another one! But you may not be able to in your location. If you do take it on, I think a lot of people would be impressed here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, I would like to apologize for 'double' post about this 99 project. I am a newbie in this board and has just realized that there will be a lead time before the post will be shown in the forum. I had asked the moderator to delete the first thread and will update all photos here.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Sjones and SAAB Community,

I agree that this will be a very huge project. Currently, I am not the owner of the car. The junk yard owner forgets where he keeps a registration transfer certificate. Moreover, the quoted price is high comparing with the car condition.

However, a vintage SAAB is quite rare here in Thailand. Normally, we can see 900 Classic / 900 NG / 9-3 / 9-5 / 9-3 SS here ...

Recently, my friend has rescued a 96v4 ... although the engine is not genuine but the overall condition of the car is excellent!

As there are a lot of *works* to be done, I am now considering an overall budget to revive the car and would like to ask for support from SAAB community for parts and advices.

1. For serious rust issue, the garage here has demonstrated a very good job in reviving a similar kind of vintage car. Some body parts may need a replacement with a custom-made steel to replicate the rusty one. I am still waiting on his opinion and estimated cost.

2. For a windshield glass, the existing owner mentioned that he may have a spare one in his backyard. The rubber gasket is my concern too and wondering whether it can have a replacement either a genuine or comparable parts.

3. For a rest of front / rear / corner lights, are those still available to buy? Your suggestion is very welcome.

4. I plan to put a 900 T5.5 in this great great grandpa. The SAAB garage here believes that it will be possible. I had googled a lot of sites to find a similar project but cannot find an exact one. I might not have had an enough search ability. I would be appreciate if you can guide me to the direct link.

Mostly, I find that the 900 Classic (B202/B212) engine is mounted to the 99. But I would like to know that a B204 series from 900 NG can be mounted too? Or do I need a hybrid type by using a lower engine block from B202/B212 in order to follow the engine pattern of 99 and using a T5.5 in an upper body. Your suggestion is very welcome.

Thank you.

P.S. I'm looking for the other 99 too. There will be a lot of work and effort to put in this car. However, I intend to bring one of the rusty 99s back to the road again. This could be my very huge project for me anyway : )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I notice some differences of this 99 with the rest of photos I can find in a google. I am wondering whether this one is a genuine 99 or not. May I ask for your support in clarifying my doubts please?

1. This 99 does not have an 'air scoop' on top of the engine firewall.

2. VIN number of 99069080 indicates that the car was produced in 1971 but the external appearance was similar to those of newer model years.

Front grill and corner light are similar to a 1974 model ...

However, there is a chrome bumper instead of a newer 5 mph bumper

3. The interior is also different ...

A steering wheel and dashboard ... I have not seen this pair in other cars.

Seats look stunning to me ... more or less like those pairs in 9000.

I am wondering whether this 99 has a standard trim of 1971? The car seems to be Mixed & Matched before.

However, the overall style makes me SMILE :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry, I should have followed up with your other questions. I've been interested in the earlier parts myself for my car and I know that in some and most cases you can use earlier or later pieces. I was particularly interested in the earlier pieces because by 1977 and even more so in 1978 things got a bit 'cheap'.

In the US, the rubber bumpers with the steel band showed up as early as 1972, so looking at yours it looks like a 1973 or 1974. If it were earlier it would likely have a thinner, (bakelite?) steering wheel and a different dash. Can you take a picture of the center part of your dash? I'm curious about how that looks. The door sills/plates also look much earlier.

Your early bumpers look in great shape and you could likely polish those up nicely.

The grille set up and side indicators is definitely mid 1970s.

The wheels are from a 900.

1973? But that grille is definitely 1975.

I don't want to discourage you. If you are interested in this car, I'd love to see it restored if you can do it. Take your time and enjoy it. And label everything you remove. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
It definitely is an early 1970s cars. The center vent system is out of a newer car, I don't see vent controls though. Typically the vent control box breaks because its all plastic and the gear tend to bind up along with a plastic post which the metal link wire is mounted to. I'm working on fixing this in mine. I think the key is lubricated the travels and cable so that you don't get binding. However, they still won't last forever.

Also looks like you may have a mirror motor control but not a saab control?

Curious car.. so its yours now?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car is not yet belong to me. There are 3 99s available to start a restoration project. However, this one is my favourite (but the most severe condition, though).

I will discuss with the SAAB technician here for the possibility to change the engine to a newer model (T5.5 from 900 SE) before making a further decision. For the car condition, I do not believe that I can fully restore her by using all genuine parts ... either because of a non-availability of parts or a costly expense.

The car belonged to an owner of previous SAAB Dealer here, no wonder that he might put a lot of efforts to distinguish his car.

: )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.