SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally found a 900 aero and today i went to have a look/drive..

body is pretty rough, rust bubble just under the whale tail, also the passenger side door rubber and sunroof have some rust, various scratch marks around the body and a nice keyed door/rear panel.hood lining has come off,leather seats are in pretty good shape.

engine looked pretty tidy,new welsh plugs and a few new hoses,turbo intercooler looked new.Just under the dizzy there was some moisture, oil maybe?, no rust along the front/headlight area usual places.

so took it for a test drive and stalled it straight away lol, the car started straight off but it did have a rough idle/ would idle smooth then slowly dip and then back up... the gear changes seemed a bit tough but it has been so long since i have driven a saab, ive been driving a honda jazz which is so easy to change.reverse was easy to find but i could feel a click when pulling into reverse/car is not moving.Turbo seemed to be ok and could feel the kick, brakes were not the best and the pedal needed to be pressed quite hard.

ok so after the test run i got the owner to rev it a bit and there was some smoke coming out, color is hard to tell not a white smoke maybe a light shade of grey, the muffler does have a hole in it so im not sure if it was just build up flowing out from under the car.

decided to get a mechanic to give it a look, compression is good 14/13,there is some oil leaks,mechanic said it has the usual saab leaks, sump/gearbox housing is oily ,as for the smoke he said the turbo prob needs a rebuild as its done 270000k /167770 miles.

On the drive back i was following and it didnt seem to smoke much at all, on take off at the lights there was nothing i could really notice and under braking it didnt seem bad...

any thoughts on the smoke/oil leaks ?

the price is seems ok $2400 usd

cheers for any input..

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
The smoke doesn't seem that bad, maybe the turbo's leaking a touch of oil. The idle problems are usually ok to fix, and that's probably what's making it hard to start from a stop/poor shifting. It's hard to say how good that price is, different markets and all, but I think cars in general would be more expensive where you are. I'd say, if you like it, buy it - none of the problems seem that bad.

·
Registered
429 Posts
For $3000AUD you could find a better condition T16... I'd only drop that much on one that was in good nick and no more than 150,000km.

Rust
Bad Turbo
Scratches
High Milage
Leaks Oil

Keep looking mate

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Just to put it in terms I can understand that works out at around £1050. To be honest mate thats a lot for a car with that many problems, in the UK I wouldn't pay more than £500-600 for a car needing that much.

The most you should pay for a run of the mill T16 (as in stock with no expensive upgrades and not a carlsson or ruby) that is in top condition and needs no work would be £1200 (2700 AUD)

Having said that I don't no how rare 900s are in Aus, so you're options might be limited, but I would certainly at least try and shop around a bit first cos 2400 seems like too much to me...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
****** said:
For $3000AUD you could find a better condition T16... I'd only drop that much on one that was in good nick and no more than 150,000km.

Rust
Bad Turbo
Scratches
High Milage
Leaks Oil

Keep looking mate
It's not a T16, it's an Aero. That cool body kit makes it worth much more.:cool:

That said, $3000 sounds over the odds, but then again the seller is probably aware that Aeros are rarer than rocking horse ****. I paid $2700 for a pretty straight one with similar kms, but that was in WA where they are even more rarer than the aforementioned excreta.

PS Don't sweat the oil leaks -- it wouldn't be a SAAB without 'em. Sounds like it needs a new distributor o-ring for starters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have some mates who are mechanics and also a guy who has a performance workshop/turbo rebuilding.

with the bodywork i always planned to respray whatever car i bought..

so i will prob make a offer around 2000 Au

·
Registered
429 Posts
SpecialTool said:
It's not a T16, it's an Aero. That cool body kit makes it worth much more.

That said, $3000 sounds over the odds, but then again the seller is probably aware that Aeros are rarer than rocking horse ****. I paid $2700 for a pretty straight one with similar kms, but that was in WA where they are even more rarer than the aforementioned excreta.

PS Don't sweat the oil leaks -- it wouldn't be a SAAB without 'em. Sounds like it needs a new distributor o-ring for starters.
'

I know that is an aero, I said you could find a better condition T16... ie. A 16v turbo with leather, low kms, and NO RUST.

I'd walk away from any car with rust unless it was discounted severely

iskandar said:
i have some mates who are mechanics and also a guy who has a performance workshop/turbo rebuilding.

with the bodywork i always planned to respray whatever car i bought..

so i will prob make a offer around 2000 Au

Are you familiar with the costs involved with a respray? They are MIGTY expensive... it would cost at least $1000 to get it done at cost price if you do all the prepping yourself. I cant stress how bad an idea it is to buy a car with the intent to respray it while you can just go and buy another one with a good/goodenough paintjob.

I can tell you've been enticed with the fruits that come with the aero so I don’t think you'll turn down a good looking C900 for a good running albeit bland looking C900...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts