SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be changing oil in my 1999 9-3 auto t5 185 100k+ soon and i am tempted to put mobile 1 full synth 15-50 in anticipation for another hot summer here in florida.
Wis says for ambient temp higher then 59f 15-50 should be all right.

Anyone had experience using it? how is it vibration/performance-wise?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Will be changing oil in my 1999 9-3 auto t5 185 100k+ soon and i am tempted to put mobile 1 full synth 15-50 in anticipation for another hot summer here in florida.
Wis says for ambient temp higher then 59f 15-50 should be all right. With this, one cannot go wring.

Anyone had experience using it? how is it vibration/performance-wise?
No experience, but I think this oil is OK. And I think a 10-40 is a bit better as it will flow easier.
BITOG this and check our FAQ on oils.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0-40 and have had no problems with it, and I feel like it definitely makes my car run more smoothly. I have had to add something to thicken it when I could hear a piston sliding around too easily in the cylinder.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
0W-40 European Car Formula is the flagship for M1 oils. It's all my Aero ever has known, and I have a strong running Aero.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
0W-40 European Car Formula is the flagship for M1 oils. It's all my Aero ever has known, and I have a strong running Aero.
I was running Mobile 1 10-40 high millage for previous 2 oil changes..and it did feel good..then i went for a service visit and they put some Valvoline 0-30 and it feels like crap now...good thing is that i usually do oil change every 3-4k...so will try the heavy stuff since i do 60miles a day on a highway going 70-80 mph ...and that + summer sticky 90F screams for some heavy oil ..i think

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I run it in the summer (a NJ summer is much cooler) seems to be alright no oil pressure loss for long sweeping turns, I use 0-40 in the winter.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I would only use 50wt for autocrossing, racing, etc.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
50WT may work in Texas just fine in the summer. I ran it sometimes in my Turbo Porsches(Redline and Syntec) and it worked great in the summer here.

·
Registered
317 Posts
well saab recommended 30wt semi-synthetic at 6k oil changes and we all know what the results of that was! I will also be running a JZW stage 3+ in 90+deg Ga heat which is why Im thinking that 50wt will definately not HURT anything, I might lose a couple HP and a MPG or 2, but its worth it for the peace of mind knowing I have good oil pressure

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wouldn't consider a 50 weight unless you're looking at ambient temps above 100 degrees.

It's just too thick; it's not really necessary.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
How does one tell that an oil "works great" or "feels good?" Essentially any oil will "work great" until something fails because of the wrong oil.

Cars have cooling systems that keep the engine operating in a temperature band, and the cars have been tested in all temperature extremes to ensure proper operation. Multi-vis oils were developed as part of this package, and the manufacturer tells you which viscosities are best.

Most wear occurs at startup; hence you want the lowest cold vis possible. Once the engine is up to operating temperature, 30- or 40-weight is obviously what Saab wants.

I have always used synthetic oil in my turbo cars, especially earlier on to prevent any problems with uncooled the turbo bearing. So far, after hundreds of thousands of miles, I have yet to have a turbo issue, nor any problems with any other major mechanical engine components.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I wouldn't consider a 50 weight unless you're looking at ambient temps above 100 degrees.

It's just too thick; it's not really necessary.
thats our point, south Ga and Fl regulary are at 100 degree temps in the summer. plus the T7 cars have weaker oil pumps and are more likely to see reduced oil pressure after warmed up

1 - 20 of 31 Posts