SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning fellas :)

Not posted in a while, but I noticed something odd over the last couple of days so I thought I'd share it...

Recently, we've seen the weather get a fair bit colder. Yesterday got down to about 11c, this morning it was 8c.

Usually when I drive the car, it warms up reasonably quickly and sits at about halfway along the temperature gauge. Yesterday, I was driving along the dual carriageway - cruising at around the speed limit, when I noticed that the temp gauge was reading lower than usual - about a third of the way up the gauge.

I pushed on, and a couple of roundabouts later, I looked down at the gauge again - it had dropped off the bottom of the scale.

I pulled over and did a quick visual - nothing out of the ordinary, no leaks, plenty of coolant, and the usual "ticking" noises from the radiator that indicate the presence of hot metal.

So I restarted the car and let her idle for a few minutes, and the temp went right back to normal again.

This morning, I took my usual route to work, but the temperature gauge didn't rise above about a third of the way up the scale. The car runs fine, no alarms on the SID, no noticeable differences, and plenty of warm air still comes from the vents.

Am I being paranoid here, or is this just the onset of cooler weather?

I vaguely remember seeing the gauge under-read last year, but after five years of Renaults, you can understand why this sort of thing makes me nervous. :D

Oil is a fresh sump of Mobil1 0W40, and she was serviced about 2000 miles / four months ago.

Any thoughts?

B

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Your thermostat sounds like it's sticking open to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks :)

As luck would have it, it has been running fine ever since (albeit a little lower than usual, but I seem to recall it doing this last autumn too.)

:)

B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts