SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all while driving today I hit a small pothole at fairly low speed and my Temp Gauge just dropped to nothing and the CEL came on I stopped the car and restarted it and the gauge came back on as normal. It now seems to fluctuate every now and then between 40% and the normal 50% mark. After a few restarts the CEL also went out. It did this again this evening with the gauge just dying and the CEL coming on. The the gauge will work again after a restart.

Possibly a lose connection somewhere?

Where do I look? where is the temp gauge sensor located?

Thanks a lot

Jules

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The temp gauge sensor is located on the driver side of the engine block, just below the intake pipe that runs on that side of the engine.

The sensor has a brass body, 19mm open wrench or crowfoot wrench, need at least a 1.5" extension if using a ratchet to remove it. On the ng900 the cable is short, about 1 foot from the sensor to a bracket with two other connectors attached to the rear of the engine. Not sure if the wire is attached to the sensor on your model because no year is posted.

Fluctuating gauge reading would suggest bad thermostat, not sensor. Intermittent gauge reading, or needle just dropping to zero is likely to be a bad sensor, or a bad connection to the gauge.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A slow fluctuation and/or running too hot or too cold is caused by a malfunctioning thermostat. Quick fluctuations are cause by a loose connection, maybe a bad transmitter...

But this cannot be triggered by a regular pothole - maybe a Michigan hole can do it... New York City potholes are known to swallow entire automobiles..

Hope I am wrong, but I think we may have some serious cooling system problems.
This is the first thing to check...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
PMI said:
The temp gauge sensor is located on the driver side of the engine block, just below the intake pipe that runs on that side of the engine.
What is the temp sensor that is located on the rear of the engine, towards the passenger side (US), snuggled inbetween two of the intake ports? Is their a temp sensor for the gauge readout on the instruent panel and one for the ECU?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solved

Just to follow up.

I took the car to my Dealer and the problem was simple. The wire that goes to the temp sensor was tied up to a few other wires with a cable tie. The tie was so tight that there was no play on the wire, snip of the cable tie and no more temp gauge problems :cheesy:

Jules

1 - 6 of 6 Posts