SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly four years of ignorant bliss, I am finally heading to the dyno. Hopefully it won't break my heart in the same fashion my first trip to the dragstrip did but whether it does or not, I'm committed.

Thought it might be fun to do as others have and see what everyone expects from my set-up. Here's the build sheet and some acceleration times:

1996 SAAB 900 Turbo Convertible

Engine:
-Factory Turbocharged 2.0 L 16V

Transmission:
-Manual, 5sp

Clutch:
-Spec Stage 3 Disk Viggen PP

Engine Upgrades:
-Garrett T-28 Turbo ("Big" T28 as supplied by Forced Performance and Gpopshop)
-Forge UNOS Manual Boost Controller
-Forge Wastegate Actuator (Base Boost 18 PSI)
-Forge Dual Piston Atmospheric BOV (Blue Spring)
-ETS Bar & Plate Intercooler (Core Dimension 24”x8”x3.5”)
-Boost Gauge
-Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
-Vortech Engineering FMU 3:1 w/Adjustable Bleeder
-DEI Exhaust Wrapped Exhaust Manifold / Downpipe
-Port Matched Exhaust Manifold
-ARP Exhaust Studs
-2.5", Turbo Back, Exhaust w / Magnaflow 18" x 4” Round Resonator (No Catalyst, No Mufflers)
-Cold Air Intake
-Throttle Body Transition Casting Port Work
-Simple Catch Can
Wheels, Tires, and Suspension:
-ASA JH8 17x7.5 w / 235/40/17 Sumitomo HTRZ II
- Vogtland Springs

The car peaks at 27PSI, and holds 23PSI to 6500 RPMs and is tuned for race fuel or W/M injection. The dyno run will be with 104 UL CAM2 as it is driven daily on that fuel. A/F runs in the high 11s at peak boost and low 13s at redline.

60-90 3.7s 3rd Gear
60-100 5.6s 3rd Gear
60-120 10.8s 3rd / 4th Gear
Curb Weight = 3156# / Tall newgen box 1.12:1 x 3.82:1 3rd gear / 70F

All above acceleration times are a fully warmed / heatsoaked engine. Three 3rd gear pulls were made before recording the times. Times are a little quicker if I record the first run but since that doesn't represent real world numbers, I don't quote those times.

So, there it is gentlemen! What do you think we'll see on Monday?!?

D-

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's hard so say with your set up, you only have it tuned to run with racing fuel? Why not get a stage 1-3, that will bump your current state up a bit. My guess is close to 300 crank easily with the turbo you have. I'm rather interested in seeing your numbers first, with the tune you can bypass the 300 mark without a blink. Lets see what you got, nice setup too ;ol;.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard so say with your set up, you only have it tuned to run with racing fuel? Why not get a stage 1-3, that will bump your current state up a bit. My guess is close to 300 crank easily with the turbo you have. I'm rather interested in seeing your numbers first, with the tune you can bypass the 300 mark without a blink. Lets see what you got, nice setup too ;ol;.
The details of how the car is set up make for a long story. The details of WHY it's set up that way make for an even longer story.

I don't believe a staged tune would net me any power gains at all. As a matter of fact, I have my theories about what any kind of ECU adjustments might do to my numbers. However, over the next few weeks, we may experiment with some of that too!

Most tunes add boost, and fuel. My car has additional boost and fuel by manual means. The maps are untouched. The boost and the fuel were simply increased mechanically in lock step with each other.

The race fuel simply allows me to run a leaner A/F and (hopefully) that A/F will help me make more power up top. Honestly, it's not any more aggressive than what you could do with E85. Sadly, we don't have any stations offering E85 in my area.

It should be interesting! (at least it will be for me!)

Thanks for the props!

D-

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm excited about the numbers...

I'm also interested as well so I'm going to keep an eye out for this thread. The guy that does the tunes from my state can also make custom mapping and I'm sure if you explained what you just did, he will accamodate you and will be able to get a little more power. I remember him talking one day about the famous tunners who only work on boosting up the turbo boost and fuel. I believe he has a different approach, but I don't want to give you the wrong idea if you already know what you are doing. I would give John a call just to see what he can do for you, plus the advise he gives is priceless.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm also interested as well so I'm going to keep an eye out for this thread. The guy that does the tunes from my state can also make custom mapping and I'm sure if you explained what you just did, he will accamodate you and will be able to get a little more power. I remember him talking one day about the famous tunners who only work on boosting up the turbo boost and fuel. I believe he has a different approach, but I don't want to give you the wrong idea if you already know what you are doing. I would give John a call just to see what he can do for you, plus the advise he gives is priceless.
I've been around the community for a few years now so I'm plenty familiar with John.

He is a great guy with some excellent skills. He already knows that if I ever go towards tuning, I will be using his services!:cool:

D-

·
Super Moderator
11,177 Posts
Are the injectors stock? I thought you needed 50# injectors and a 3" turbo-back exhaust to get to approx. 340 bhp safely? (Although no cat and no mufflers should more than make up for the cross-sectional area difference between 3" and 2.5"). Do you know what your EGT's are? I am thinking 275 to 285 whp (and the dyno type will greatly affect the final results).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are the injectors stock? I thought you needed 50# injectors and a 3" turbo-back exhaust to get to approx. 340 bhp safely? (Although no cat and no mufflers should more than make up for the cross-sectional area difference between 3" and 2.5"). Do you know what your EGT's are? I am thinking 275 to 285 whp (and the dyno type will greatly affect the final results).
Injectors are stock. I used a Vortech FMU (Basically a rising rate FPR) to increase rail pressure and a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump to add additional (as well as adjustable) fuel pump flow capabilities. I ran the formulas for fuel usage on the new turbo based on info from BOSCH and the Turbo Builder I established how much fuel pressure / flow I needed to get the required fuel for the upgrade then installed a 3:1 FMU and put the "adjustability factor" into the final set-up by using the Kenne Bell BAP.

I agree with your conclusions on exhaust. That's why it's set up that way. ;ol;

I don't think I could get the acceleration numbers I'm getting on a heavy vert with 275-285 but I could very easily be wrong; wouldn't be the first time...sadly.

D-

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
your gearing vs my weight might even it out.
be interesting to see the results.

stock injectors max at 300bhp, crank. im suprised you havnt chaged them. surley thats easier than your current set up.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
your gearing vs my weight might even it out.
be interesting to see the results.

stock injectors max at 300bhp, crank. Im suprised you havnt changed them.
Actually, my gearing AND my weight are both handicaps. In order for my car to accelerate at the same rate as a 9-3 in 3rd, I'd have to make about 11% more power. Then, on top of that, I have some extra pudge to carry!

The 9-3 trans has a 1.18 3rd gear combined with a 4.05 final drive for a total of 4.78:1. My car has a 1.12 3rd gear and a 3.82 final drive for a significantly taller 4.28:1.

The injectors have some help from a Vortech FMU. :0)

D-

1 - 20 of 102 Posts