SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving down the road. Hit a bump. Could no longer accelerate,,and engine slowing down steadily. Engine dies. Try to crank. Turns at normal speed, does not crank. 85 900 T. And what is that pump looking thing under the hatch with the spare that has four lines coming out of it? Vaccume? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The fuel pump is sunk inside the fuel tank and should be hard to damage by an external knock (you'd have to puncture the tank or seriously dislodge it first).

If you lift the boot floor (and I don't just mean the hatch to the spare wheel well, I mean the whole boot floor) you should see a circular aluminium cover about 7" across sealed by a rubber ring in the metal of the boot floor. If you lift this up underneath will be the fuel pump. It should have a single fuel line going into the top and and black and red wire connected to it either side by spade terminals.

Like I say it is unlikely that a bump will damage the fuel pump, but it can't hurt to check that the wires are still firmly attached. With the cover off you should be able to at least listen for it working. Switch on the ignition and with the boot floor out of the way and the seats folded down, you should be able to hear the fuel pump "prime" breifly. (will buzz for about 2 seconds)

Quick question, is it leaking fuel now? The only think I can think of that is vulnerable under the car which might stop the car from starting is the fuel accumulator. This is a little canister located by the back axle under the car which has a fuel line running into it and one running out of it. Check that it isn't hit.

can't think of anything else off the top of my head, hope that helps anyway

edit: oh drat, just seen that you've got one of the early 16v engines (I assumed that as it was '85 it would be 8 valve) Not sure how much of what I've said still applies to 16v models

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
It's Not The Fuel Pump

Well, you asked me to tell you that.

Nobody could offer any kind of diagnosis with the information you offered.
We'd need more than "It stopped and won't start" to offer any help at all.

That "thing" is your sunroof motor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts