SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmmmmm
I wish I can understand what language you are talking. I don't know about 3 inch this blah, and output/response and forge dump valve and power curve and green injectors and stuff.

I thought this web site is for Saab owners not only mechanics. I am not a mechanic. My simple question is 800 dollars worth BSR PPC upgrade? What differences will I feel on my stock 1999 Saab 9-5 2.3lt auto vehicle?

Can you speak with non-mechanic terms please? You guys talked me into buying one, and I want to make sure I am not throwing that money away. My wife has no idea, she'll kick my *ss if she finds out i bought something she can't see for $800. Married ones would understand me:nono; .

I believe Chris told me that all I have to do before the upgrade was
  1. Syntetic oil change
  2. New NGK plugs
  3. New ATF
right?

Thank you guys

X

·
0 Posts
Vardar, virtualy non of us are mechanics we are Saab owners like yourself. However it is easy to fall into teckno speak once you have a basic understanding of your engine so dont be affraid to ask the question if you dont understand.

Chris is 100% correct with the advice he has given. The 9-5 has a few service requirements to keep it running correctly as you would do with any car. Because of the quirkyness of the 9-5 you are advised to change your oil and filter to fully synthetic every 6000 miles or sooner, this is also a good time to change your spark plugs for a nice new set of NGK's (A brand of spark plug). The ATF is the oil that is in your gear box, many people never change this and to be fair it will last a long time, but due to the added torque (Power) that is gained when you upgrade the ECU (The engine management control unit) then it is advisable to get this gear box (Transmission) Oil changed.

As for the BSR PPC (a plug in unit that will upgrade the engine management system to release more power), you will give the car more power, it will accelarate faster and harder.

As for the wife.....Well we all have a cross to bear :eek: :cheesy:

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I admire your kindness Finn! Thank you for detailed explanation. Actually I thank all of you for help. I am happy to be here and learn/exchange info about my car.

How can you guys do your daily work or drive your car when you are here answering all questions extremely quick 24/7?

Do you have a internet connection in your car? LOL :cheesy:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Vardar,

One Word, Yes....You will NOT be dissappointed ;) , well worth the 800 Dollars

Looking at the BSR site for your car you should get around about 30% better perfomance.
Try here http://www.bsr-sweden.com/products/n358/t28/

And changing the Oil and plugs every 6 months is very very sound advice, this comes from years and years of folks here and on other boards owning 9-5's. I just wish I had found this site a couple of years ago.

Don't worry you will enjoy.;)

Puli

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Finn said:
Because of the quirkyness of the 9-5 you are advised to change your oil and filter to fully synthetic every 6000 miles or sooner
Quirkyness? Interesting way do decsribe a flawed PCV system and oil pump. :p After reading about the oil pump problem I'm putting my car back on a 3000 miles oil change schedule.

X

·
0 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Quirkyness? Interesting way do decsribe a flawed PCV system and oil pump. :p After reading about the oil pump problem I'm putting my car back on a 3000 miles oil change schedule.
Its only flawed if you dont keep up with oil changes, every 3000 miles will certainly keep the oil good, a little excesive perhaps but will certainly give you peace of mind ;)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Advantage, car runs better, cleaner, you prolong the DI life. (old plugs make the DI work harder). Nothing major will happen if you follow the Saab service regime, but you may notice a slight drop off performance wise, perhaps a slight increase in fuel consumption. Bottom line..plugs are so cheap, why not change them every 6 months. Its a good habit to get into, plugs, oil, filter every six months.

X

·
0 Posts
Kermit said:
Advantage, car runs better, cleaner, you prolong the DI life. (old plugs make the DI work harder). Nothing major will happen if you follow the Saab service regime, but you may notice a slight drop off performance wise, perhaps a slight increase in fuel consumption. Bottom line..plugs are so cheap, why not change them every 6 months. Its a good habit to get into, plugs, oil, filter every six months.
or 6000 miles whichever comes sooner :)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
So anyway, i was blasting down the M1 on WOT, the DI was new so the MBC was having a good time. The FPR was fueling the engine well and the gearbox was smooth cos of the new ATF. The MBC was very noticable, but SWMBO wasn't so impressed. The DRL's looked way cool with their LED's, but not as cool as the newly fixed SID and ACC panels. I was running new pistons, so had to ensure no.1 was at TDC for proper timing. The uprated ARB's were keeping things composed underneath as were the TR1's and the ABS. The ECU and LPT were producing plenty of BHP, but the I/C kept things under control. The BPCV kept the BOV plenty busy and make a great sound. Glad thats all understood then. :roll: ;)

X

·
0 Posts
vardar said:
Do you need to install this without any engine mods? Or, is this turbo unit compatible with BSR stage 1?ttp://scanwestauto.com/store_PartDetails.aspx?PartID=839
thank you

Hey thats my turbo :cheesy: great unit but I would recommend the following to be able to use it to its potential.

Forge Dump
Bigger inlet pipe
Bigger delivery pipe
red injectors
new pcv valve
open air intake
grooved disks and FR pads (at the least)
lowered springs and shox
stronger anti roll bars
Race intercooler
Complete new exhaust with race cat

Think thats about it. :D

No I wouldnt put this turbo on a stage 1 BSR PPC.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
It is a direct swop..BUT the BSR PPC stage one is programmed to work with a standard GT17 not the hybrid Abbott supplied one. Is this the clear answer you were after?

·
Banned
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes that was a clear answer. Actually, these messages are coming to my home inbox. They do not look clear, lots of symbols and etc. I might have to disable that.

You guys are awesome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts