SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new car for 3 days now. I have a few questions about little things that hopefully some of you will know.

1. When the "air distribution" system is in auto mode, it sometimes switches to recirculation by itself. The owners manual says that the "auto" mode controls recirculation, but will it change it back to fresh air? What makes it change? Air quality? Temperature? - I haven't noticed dirt or pollen in the air when it changes it.

2. Comfort open - Mine only opens the front two windows and the sunroof. I actually prefer it this way (makes it easier to close when I get in) but should it open all four? I have searched, but most info is for past year models. On that note - I tried to make the pinch protection activate and almost had my finger chopped off - Is this a service problem? I read that you can callobrate it, but mine won't beep telling me it is.

3. The whine that you hear when you plug ipod or satellite into the aux is really annoying. Is this only when you are using the cars battery rather than the ipods battery? I can use my ipods battery and the FM station for the satellite if this is the case.

4. Finally, how the heck do you dry a Metallic Black car to avoid streaks? It looked so nice from the dealership, but now I notice everything after I gave it a wash.

Thanks in advance - This car RAWKS!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remote only to open

I tried to close them with the remote and no dice.
I think the older models could do that--

I figured out the answer to #3. The whine only happens when you are using both the aux and the cars power.

Only 3 answers left:)

·
Registered
390 Posts
1) Recirc mode also helps to maintain ambient interior temperature as well (I think).

2) That's how it's supposed to work. Comfort close option was deleted (thanks to lawyers :evil: ). Never thought to test the pinch protection feature, so no answer there. :roll:

3) No answer to that. Bothers me too. :cry:

4) Microfiber towels work wonders. It's all I use to wash /dry my cars with. :D

Congrats on the new Aero! I wanted Jet Black as my #1 color for my Aero SC, but there were none available (and I wasn't gonna sit around and wait and order one). In the end, plain ol' Black was fine enough for me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
1. When the "air distribution" system is in auto mode, it sometimes switches to recirculation by itself. The owners manual says that the "auto" mode controls recirculation, but will it change it back to fresh air? What makes it change? Air quality? Temperature? - I haven't noticed dirt or pollen in the air when it changes it.

Go into your customize menu, climate system functions and you can default your recirc to manual vs. automatic. Does speed determine recirc? Should come on when you slow down.

2. Comfort open - Mine only opens the front two windows and the sunroof. I actually prefer it this way (makes it easier to close when I get in) but should it open all four? I have searched, but most info is for past year models. On that note - I tried to make the pinch protection activate and almost had my finger chopped off - Is this a service problem? I read that you can callobrate it, but mine won't beep telling me it is.

Saab deleted the rear windows for remote open. What did you do to test the pinch sensor?

3. The whine that you hear when you plug ipod or satellite into the aux is really annoying. Is this only when you are using the cars battery rather than the ipods battery? I can use my ipods battery and the FM station for the satellite if this is the case.

Yes, happens with the cig lighter when charging. Remove charger and feedback goes away.

4. Finally, how the heck do you dry a Metallic Black car to avoid streaks? It looked so nice from the dealership, but now I notice everything after I gave it a wash.

Get a bottle of liquid wax (spray and wipe) and a very soft towel. When your done with the wash, and dry, make this your final step.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's how it's supposed to work. Comfort close option was deleted (thanks to lawyers :evil: ). Never thought to test the pinch protection feature, so no answer there. :roll:
Why would lawyers have that option deleted?
Mine does remote opening and closing of front windows and even folds the mirrors..:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was curious about #1 and the posted answers seem to make good sense. I've had no whining sound at all with the Ipod while charging. Maybe I got lucky or am using a different type of charger that is better isolated (Belkin, I think). As for the streaks, I use a clean chamois all the time and my car is that metallic black as well. No streaks but then again, I rarely expect perfection from the simple fact that it's black.

juanadanac said:
I have had my new car for 3 days now. I have a few questions about little things that hopefully some of you will know.

Thanks in advance - This car RAWKS!!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
3. For the whine when using 12V power with an audio unit through AUX, you need Item #127SNI135 from Crutchfield - a ground loop isolator. This is well documented.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Toemke said:
Why would lawyers have that option deleted?
Mine does remote opening and closing of front windows and even folds the mirrors..:cool:
The logic was that if you are unlocking the car in order to drive it, you will be there and open all of the windows using the comfort open. But, if locking the car after driving, the tendency would be to just walk away and not look back at the car - hence little kiddies could get there hands caught and you wouldn't be there to help them!! This is why the lawers have had the comfort closing removed - they did the same thing with BMW's.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
dave_p said:
The logic was that if you are unlocking the car in order to drive it, you will be there and open all of the windows using the comfort open. But, if locking the car after driving, the tendency would be to just walk away and not look back at the car - hence little kiddies could get there hands caught and you wouldn't be there to help them!! This is why the lawers have had the comfort closing removed - they did the same thing with BMW's.

Regards,

Dave
Can the laywers say: pinch protection ? In Europe they can. That 's why it's an option for Saabs (and standard for less expensive cars!)

Pinch protection was invented for just that. And I have yet to hear a counter argument.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Toemke said:
Strange though that this feature still exists in Belgium then.
Anyways, I like it.
U.S. product liability law is much more plaintiff-friendly than most European law. Pinch protection helps, but if there were some fault in the pinch protection and someone were injured or killed SAAB could be looking at many millions of dollars in damages. Jury awards tend to be more generous and there is no fee-shifting such as you get in many European countries. These factors make manufacturers much more leery of potential sources of liability in the U.S. market.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
Pinch protection helps, but if there were some fault in the pinch protection and someone were injured or killed SAAB could be looking at many millions of dollars in damages.
This seems like the only counter argument but its not serious, because if one were to take it seriously then we could go about asking "what if there is a fault" about everything around us.

eg: What if there is a fault in.. ESP? Or electronic locks? Or rain sensors? Or cruise control? Or xenon leveling? The list can go on. It can even get out of control.. ABS? Brake system overall? Lets have no brakes because something could go wrong. Oops, that means no cars! Ok, no cars then.. And no spaceships either please!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
EPa said:
This seems like the only counter argument but its not serious, because if one were to take it seriously then we could go about asking "what if there is a fault" about everything around us.

eg: What if there is a fault in.. ESP? Or electronic locks? Or rain sensors? Or cruise control? Or xenon leveling? The list can go on. It can even get out of control.. ABS? Brake system overall? Lets have no brakes because something could go wrong. Oops, that means no cars! Ok, no cars then.. And no spaceships either please!
There have been hundreds of of lawsuits against car makers from people (children primarily) who have lost fingers or who have been killed when their necks were crushed by power windows. I actually knew a child that was killed when a power tailgate window crushed his neck. These suits have resulted in 100's of millions of dollars in damage awards. Being able to close windows and sunroofs when you are not in the vehicle and possibly not within eyesight apparently is a risk that SAAB and/or GM is unwilling to take for US-spec cars. I don't know the specific thought process or risk assessment process, but apparently the cost/benefit analysis of this feature was considered not sufficient enough to include it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
There have been hundreds of of lawsuits against car makers from people (children primarily) who have lost fingers or who have been killed when their necks were crushed by power windows. I actually knew a child that was killed when a power tailgate window crushed his neck. These suits have resulted in 100's of millions of dollars in damage awards. Being able to close windows and sunroofs when you are not in the vehicle and possibly not within eyesight apparently is a risk that SAAB and/or GM is unwilling to take for US-spec cars. I don't know the specific thought process or risk assessment process, but apparently the cost/benefit analysis of this feature was considered not sufficient enough to include it.
Hundreds of lawsuits about sore fingers, I can buy. Hundreds about crushed necks I doubt. And if so, surely before the pinch protection came into play.

I am not disagreeing with you or anyone that reports why things are the way they are in the US. It is obvious that lawsuits and money is the reason.

I'm just saying that, in my opinion, technology is mature enough for this whole thing not to be an issue. And that the europeans (whose laws allow power windows) are not dumm or less safe than americans on the matter.

Don't know what else to think other than its just one of those silly laws/situations that can happen anywhere in the world.
Either that, or european kids are more careful where they put theit fingers and necks :D.

..peace

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Get the Mr. Clean autodry deal - the kit is 20 bucks or so (kmart or Target) and the refills are 6-8$ - be sure to use the green soap as well - I tried another brand and it does not dry streak/spot free unless you use their soap- I have a black aero and you don't need to wipe the car dry whatsoever - just wash with the proper mitt and soap and then rinse using their system and it will dry streak/spot free - it does work - then a coat of wax - immaculate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my 06 Convertible in the recent hot weather we've had here, when I've got into the car at the end of the day (interior very hot) the recirc has activated (prob to cool the car quicker with outside temp high) and then deactivated when the interior temp dropped. Seems to me to be temp dependent ie kicks in when there is a large diferential between interior and exterior temps to help the internal temp reach desired setting more quickly and then kicks out when job done.

Regards

Mat

·
Registered
198 Posts
matkutub said:
On my 06 Convertible in the recent hot weather we've had here, when I've got into the car at the end of the day (interior very hot) the recirc has activated (prob to cool the car quicker with outside temp high) and then deactivated when the interior temp dropped. Seems to me to be temp dependent ie kicks in when there is a large diferential between interior and exterior temps to help the internal temp reach desired setting more quickly and then kicks out when job done.

Regards

Mat
Correct. The recirc only kicks on when the outside temp is much hotter than the inside temp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts