SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
After being burned on a GM MDI which was promised to totally and definitely work with my SAAB, only to find out that Tech2Win couldn't successfully communicate with anything, I decided to sit down, figure out why, and fix it.

And now, I've done it! No longer will you be plagued by "I-Bus Missing" error messages stopping basically all communication with your 2003+ 9-3. To make a long story short, some bug in Tech2Win or the SAAB Tech 2 software itself causes all communication to be done in a certain mode without actually switching to that mode. All the CAN messages then go out to the car with the wrong header, so the car immediately ignores everything, and the Tech 2 concludes that the car must not be there. I have prepared a version with the issue fixed. Download it and read the README.txt inside the archive to get it started.

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES (cliff's notes version; full version is in the README)
  • I have tested this version of Tech2Win on 32-bit Windows XP and Windows 7 and it works great on both. It also works great even in a virtual machine.
  • I have only tested with my clone GM MDI 1. You should be able to use any other VCI that is compatible with Tech2Win, i.e. those that support D-PDU API/ISO 22900. If you need to purchase or set up a VCI, there is some advice in the README.
  • There's some chance my fix will break communication with other SAABs and/or other vehicles that Tech2Win supports. If you run into issues there, try using the non-fixed version (which I have also included in the archive), and let me know. I only have 2003+ 9-3s so I can't test this case.
  • I've tested and verified correct operation of every function I can think of on my 2003 and 2007 9-3s, including reading and clearing DTCs, reading data, performing activations, bus testing, getting security access, changing personalization settings, adding and removing modules, and adding keys. There may be other functions that do not work.
  • There may also be functions that unexpectedly destroy your car, computer, VCI, life, limb, etc. I can't be held responsible in this case!
  • Please check this thread for any updates as I have difficulty editing the post.
Please share this archive with all your friends, rehost it in as many places as possible (without removing credit), try it with as many cars and VCIs as you can get your hands on, and let me know how it goes.

Happy Tech2Win-ning!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I swear to god i was just thinking today if one of these gurus can just make this happen.. love it when i see smart ppl like urself doing an amazing thing like this

·
Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
Stickied. Nice job.

·
Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
New link is up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you very much for the work done! This is really a big advance. Because mdi is not a mangoose, which costs twice as much. How about VXDIAG on this t2win build. Has anyone already tested?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks! I tested it tonight with my MY2006 9-3 (US spec) and it did NOT work with my Chinese clone MongoosePro GM II cable.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Why not? The cable works perfectly fine with the DrewTech J2534 toolbox, and the topic starter wrote that it works with his clone GM MDI 1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately I haven't DT clone. And all I know is from this and other forums. But I buy GM MDI clone and when it come, I immediately test it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Then why did my MongoosePro GM II clone immediately update the firmware to the latest Drewtech firmware and checks out and works fine when using it with the DrewTech J2534 Toolbox?

clone:

Original:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The DT clone looks like and it detected as original but has issues with low speed CAN on pin 1 in saab 9-3 2003+.
Looks like similar issue as MDI clone.
As far as I can see for DT clone problems arise after switching to CAN bus.
@tpw_rules
Can you give more details what you have changed in software?
Regards,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts