SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys; i was wondering where i could purchase a tech2; i live in Nova Scotia, Canada? Is a tech2 a hand held code reader like an OBDII or is it a program for your laptop and if it's for your laptop what adapter do you need?

Thanks you guy are awesome and you have a wealth of knowledge on these saabs. I'm still learning as i just bought my 9-3 6 months ago and i love it and my boys love it; they love the sporty look of it because no one else around here has one.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
A Tech II is a hand-held scanner that reads all codes in all the modules of your Saab--and there are a lot of modules. So in that respect it's like an ODB II reader on massive steroids. It can diagnose ABS, SRS, audio, parking help, locking, etc. It can also adjust/program your car's settings. For example, if you install a different radio, you need the Tech II to install it.

For your 9-3, you also need the CANDi module to interface, it plugs into the Tech II. And to do many things, you need security access. There are instructions in the Tech II workshop under general Saab topics. It's fiddly to get the software running properly--it took us quite some time to figure it out.

I'm not aware of any widely-used equivalent to the Tech II that you can run on your laptop and use some kind of cable or module to interface with your car. It's a logical idea, but maybe it's not worth anyone's time to figure out Tech II functions and replicate them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts