SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a random question. Since my tech 2 was lifted from my car last night, I am looki g to replace it. I work on other cars ither then saab and would like the ability to function with both. The tech 2 is the factory tool for saab/gm, the MDI II is gm's replacement for the tech 2. The MDI 2 is backwards compatible to 97. So will this function the same as a tech 2 or is a tech 2 still needed. The mdi 2 was also built after saab was already sold to nevs. The software that I am seeing for it dont say anything about saab, but supports opel. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
No, with MDI you can only read/erase codes and make some mods.
You will need TECH2.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Buy an aftermarket tool with J2534 capability, it will allow you to work on almost any car.
have a look at the AUTEL lineup e.g.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, with MDI you can only read/erase codes and make some mods.
You will need TECH2.
Not that I am arguing, I am just trying to obtain that facts, but From what I have seen on some of the adds, they say tech 2. And I know for a fact gm has a tech 2 emulator that works through a laptop. Obviously this wont top the physical tool its self. But all signs point to yes, although I have bout things before only to be disappointed.
Buy an aftermarket tool with J2534 capability, it will allow you to work on almost any car.
have a look at the AUTEL lineup e.g.
I have a snapon versus edge but its not that compatible with saab. This is another reason for debate. Do I really need factory functionality at this point when the snapon tool does most of it already?

So far it sounds like I should just rebuy the tech 2. Anyone else have any input?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
The verus as far as i remember has the J2534 capability that distinguishes Tech2 .. what did u need to do and u couldn't with the Verus !

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The verus as far as i remember has the J2534 capability that distinguishes Tech2 .. what did u need to do and u couldn't with the Verus !
Everything! Lol. Saab is not even listed as a manufacturer in the tool itself. In order to do anything with saab whatsoever I have to go into OBD-II Direct. In layman's terms... turning a $9000 scan tool into a $50 code reader. With only a handfull of pids that even my Creader VI+ (The $50 tool mentioned above) can see. The autel works with saab alot better then snapon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts