SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there I've had a Tech2 for 5 or more years and it's been pretty useful, although I hate how flaky it can be. A couple of weeks ago I used it for a whole weekend with no issues, now today I'm trying to program a new DDM (switchpack) and the Tech2 is not talking with my PC anymore. I'm pretty sure the problem lies on the PC side (HP laptop running Windows XP) because i ran the RS-232 self-test on the Tech2 and it passed.

I have tried to do many things that require communication between the Tech2 and the PC (such as the Tech2 screen mirroring feature) and I keep getting the E625 error that no communication can be established to the Tech2. The only thing I can think of is that recently I ran CAN2Flasher for the first time and I'm wondering if maybe that re-configured my COM port or something. Has anyone had a similar issue and solved it??

I just ordered an RJ45-to-USB cable from Amazon that is supposed to be a more reliable connection, I'm praying that solves the problem.

Any other suggestions??

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I use similar USB/RJ45 cable and it works 100%.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use similar USB/RJ45 cable and it works 100%.
Thanks, The cable just came and it installed the FTDI driver okay and it showed up on COM4 so I re-installed TIS2000 and COM4 showed up this tiem so I selected that but still no dice.

This is so weird ... I've used this thing so many times and never had any issue like this. I'd think that the Tech2 broke or something except all of the self-tests PASS and even the RS-232 test passes (for which I had to make a special connector!).

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Did you tried with another PC?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you tried with another PC?
I thought about that, but I bought this ancient XP laptop a while ago on Craigslist (I thought XP was needed for install) and right now I don't feel like going through that process again, esp. after this one worked okay for 4-5 years.

Honestly, this doesn't make any sense, it was working just fine not 10 days ago - I don't even us this laptop for anything else! - and now the two won't talk. I spent a weekend root causing my battery drain problem, found it was the switchpack, replaced the switchpack, and now spent 4 hours trying to get that stupid tool to work so I can program the thing, which should only take 3 minutes .... can you tell I'm frustrated?!? ;)

Anyway, I appreciate the suggestion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts