SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the North Shore of Massachusetts with a Tech2 tool?

I was getting. an intermittent "Steering wheel lock malfunction" error message. The steering wheel was not locked. Reading indicated that the ISM was on the way out, but many had successfully cleaned the contacts in the switch. I disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled my ignition switch module. Now, my '06 9-3 is in security mode. Can't turn the key in the ignition. Still getting steering wheel lock malfunction and now, getting get "key not recognized" error. I've searched all the possible remedies, disconnecting battery etc..

Key FOB will lock & unlock doors until I try to turn the key in the ignition, then I'll get the error messages and the key will no longer work the door locks until I once again disconnect the battery.

I have read that a Tech2 can send a command to clear the steering wheel DTC and also send a "Force key release" command and get the key recognized again.

·
Super Moderator
9,116 Posts
you need another ism..

Key not recognized well documented after cleaning ism..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Just so happened to be another ISM advertised in my local Craigslist.. Due to all the testing of the old ISM, I took the battery out of the car & threw it on a charger. I'll install the new-to-me ISM tomorrow & see how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aerojon, Thanks so much for the help! I installed the new ISM this morning.. I heard the steering wheel unlock as I inserted the key, and I'm up and running again! Whoo!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts