SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I got my new ride and am having trouble finding a local owner of a tech II device. There's alot of things I want to change but can't do it without the Tech II. The dealership here cleared out it's inventory, parts, and technicians along with it. They no longer have a tech II and the local independant shops keep thinking im talking about a plain OBD II reader. Anyone in El Paso find a place that owns one? Or anyone know of the closest place to El Paso that is capable? The locals shops are full of uncertified mechanics that claim to work on these european vehicles. One shop I went to claimed that I could disable the DRL's through the onboard sid system. :roll: I showed him otherwise. Then he went on to tell me "You have an owners manual? Read it, you can do all that from the car" I just pulled fused 35 for now and i'll deal with alarm, lock, and light settings when i can find a tech II

After driving/calling around with no luck and having my intelligence insulted i'm getting rather tired of our friendly neighborhood mechanics. Anyways, if anyone knows anything that'd be great.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm in el paso. Far west texas. I was wondering, would an ECU tuner be able to change the Tech II functions. I mean it is swapping out the ecu, and doesn't the tech II program the ecu?

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I'm in el paso. Far west texas. I was wondering, would an ECU tuner be able to change the Tech II functions. I mean it is swapping out the ecu, and doesn't the tech II program the ecu?

WOw you are out there...

Some can but some of the functions are in the TWICE and other computer things...

Send an email and see what they say good louck

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
El Paso here. North Hills to be exact. The place I took my cars to is GPS. The owners name is Gerd Schmidt. It's located at 9421 Carnegie Ave. It's off of Montana and Rutherglen. The guy is an older German gentleman, and a bit set in his ways, but he does diagnostics and TechII settings for free. Just let him know what you need, and he'll do it.

The El Paso crowd is definitely growing. What part of town are you located?
Isn't it crappy about our Saab dealer?! :(

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Nathan 9⁵;1730500 said:
If I saw that, I'd be down there in a heartbeat with a tape measure to see if that would fit in the back of my wagon or if I needed to borrow a truck... nice garage deco item!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks nathan, what a life saver. I just drove the car down from dallas area where i bought it and another road trip just for a tech II would not have been pleasant. I'm an eastsider near I-10 off yarbrough. It is nice to see El Paso catching a glimpse of the SAAB scene. I don't know how many times i've been asked what kind of car it is.

As for the dealer, I can't believe they even got rid of all the parts as well. When SAAB went out, i read that dealers were still going to provide service and parts, so i was shocked getting back into town that they did away with everything. I'll be checking out GPS soon for sure.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I haven't had the "What kind of car is that?" yet.

There's a large Saab group of owners in my neighborhood. Every driver honks and waves when we pass each other. We've all made some conversation about our lack of a dealer, GPS, and neighborhood gossip. :cheesy:

There's 4 on my street. My two 9-5's, and a family up the street has a 9-7x Aero and an '08 9-5 Aero.
A block over, there's a man with an '00 9-5 Aero, and a 9-7 5.3i. A woman with a 900c, and another family with an '07 9-3 Aero, and a 900c.
A few blocks further, there's a family with an '04 9-5 Aero, and a 9-3ng.

And a woman somewhere up here with a '02+ 9-5 2.3T.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen a couple around the west side. I visit my girlfriend up where stanton ends and on the way i see a couple of 9000's CSE's. Other than that I've only seen one 9-3 at school and an occasional 9-5 here and there.

I need to swing by GPS, hopefully i can catch him when he isn't up to his neck with work like last time i drove by.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I went down to the only place that has a TECH II in town and the guy didn't really seem to know what he was doing. He was just going around searching through the different functions. After a while he asked, "is this a 9-3" and i said it was a 9-5 only to realize he wasn't getting a connection because he was under the wrong vehicle model.

Afterwards he still couldn't find the functions to change what i wanted. I asked if i could look at it and he told me no because it's an 8000 dollar device and i couldn't touch it.

Does anyone know which menu's he would have to look under to change the lights and fogs to "Euro" mode and where the function to make the car chime when I lock and unlock the car. I think if i take him a diagram with the exact steps it would be easier for him to do it.

After unplugging the tech II he told me those option weren't available for the car. Maybe he just doesn't have the right software perhaps?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Was it the German guy who smokes non stop that did it for you??
...He's difficult sometimes. :roll: But he is honest, does good work and has a fair price.

It is possible. He was able to do the euro setting on my '03, and on my '01 he was able to stop the chirp when locking/unlocking and change the rear heated seat "on" timer.

It did take him a few minutes to figure it out, and he asked me the same thing, 9-3 or 9-5 so I know he CAN do it. He's just not very familiar with the TechII, he's only had it for a few months.

I've tried to look up the menus on my WIS, but I haven't found any TechII stuff on it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, i just know he's gonna be like "not him again" when i go back. This will be the 3rd time I go asking for tech II options. I"ll try and find some sort of diagram so I go back with the "i brought help" excuse instead of just being pushy. I don't want to insult his know-how but i still want to get this done, lol. At least I know he did it for you so i can always say i spoke to someone that had the work done by you.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I'll go with you if you want. He knows me and my neighbor pretty well. I've brought him quite a few Saab owners in my neighborhood. I think a flow chart of TechII menus is an excellent idea. And I think he'll be a lot more responsive if you have a simple service done, like an oil change. What he really is after is a customer. And I don't blame him. I trust him completely, I'm just able to do a lot of the work myself and only really need him for his TechII. :confused:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea that sounds like a good idea. Maybe i'll drop by when i find a chart and have some work that may need done. Even though i really do everything myself as well. I'll have to wait until i get another chance off from work which will be a while. Unless they open sundays.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts