SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Saab owning experience, having picked up an incredible 9-3 Aero SC XWD last week! Being a build it yourself type, I started looking into Tech II's and the alternatives such as the Mongoose and the clones. I don't need to tell you guys that I think the tools are expensive, but I do want to check into some crafty alternatives before shelling out the pesos.

I'm thinking about building a mongoose alternative, using possibly an Arduino Due as a controller, and a plug in transceiver to get onto the CAN bus. Then getting the code in there to convert from the CAN protocol in the car to the standard which is used to communicate with Tech2Win. I think the standards are J1950VPW in the car, and ISO22900 for Tech2Win..

Unfortunately, I'm not the most experienced this deep into the electronics realm. I have experience coding here and there as well as am comfortable with hardware, but I'm having trouble gathering GM and Saab information specific for this application. (who would have guessed that'd be a problem for saab :p).

Is there anyone on here deep enough in the woods to tell me if this is possible before I start? Does Tech2Win run off inputs from an ISO protocol? Would plugging a low speed CAN setup into the OBD2 be enough to easily communicate with all the busses? Realistically would it take more than 2-3 months? Is there a cheaper way to get the SAE&ISO standards?

Heres a couple resources I've been looking at;

CAN explanation and basic setup instructions;
http://www.kvaser.com/can-protocol-tutorial/
http://hackaday.com/2013/11/05/can-hacking-the-hardware/

Possible Controllers;
http://goodfet.sourceforge.net/hardware/goodthopter12/

or

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDue
+
https://store.arduino.cc/product/113030021

Perhaps even one of the more expensive ones mentioned in the article, but the idea is to save a couple hundred dollars. Best case scenario here would be to have a reliable setup that could be packaged for others looking to avoid clone headaches.

Sorry if things seem a little scattered, this is my first time on a forum in quite a few years!

·
Registered
544 Posts
while i am the first one to appreciate a hearty DIY attitude, i think in this case you just have to cut your losses.

the software side of the tech2 business is tricky enough, since we're all basically doing this without paying the thousands of dollars for legitimate GM subscriptions. there are already lots of hoops to jump through and it's an iterative process to get everything set up and stable.

speaking for myself i would hate to be troubleshooting TWO sides of the coin (software AND hardware) at the same time.

i wish i could give you some actual assistance by answering your questions, but this is beyond my expertise. my advice to you would be to ante up and get a reliable hardware solution in hand so that you can sanity check your DIY version as you go.

jm2c
ken

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you, it's totally over my head and could be a complete nightmare, and I'm completely okay with that risk! At the end of the day if the tech2win setup doesn't work out, an arduino with a CAN shield can do some really cool one of a kind mods!

I'm reasonably confident that getting the information from the car into a laptop would take under a few weeks of real work, I've already found tutorials to get the CAN data into a CSV file from the proposed setup. Unfortunately this isn't a real time process and getting it to work as the cookie crumbles would be an obstacle to figure out.

Once the CAN data is on the computer, I believe translating it into the format Tech2Win accepts would be the real tricky part. Would constructing a virtual USB device and then using the mongoose software work? Like the inputs would all be there.

I'm going to buy a setup and try some baby steps and post back the results in a little while. Shipping will be the main decider haha.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I hear you, it's totally over my head and could be a complete nightmare, and I'm completely okay with that risk! At the end of the day if the tech2win setup doesn't work out, an arduino with a CAN shield can do some really cool one of a kind mods!

I'm reasonably confident that getting the information from the car into a laptop would take under a few weeks of real work, I've already found tutorials to get the CAN data into a CSV file from the proposed setup. Unfortunately this isn't a real time process and getting it to work as the cookie crumbles would be an obstacle to figure out.

Once the CAN data is on the computer, I believe translating it into the format Tech2Win accepts would be the real tricky part. Would constructing a virtual USB device and then using the mongoose software work? Like the inputs would all be there.

I'm going to buy a setup and try some baby steps and post back the results in a little while. Shipping will be the main decider haha.
Hello Jeckerh,

I was just wondering if you found a work around with this setup?

Gerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Jeckerh,

I was just wondering if you found a work around with this setup?

Gerry
Hey Gerry,

Unfortunately no, I needed the tech 2 in a short amount of time to fix some things so I ended up buying a clone. I have the arduino though and I'm casually working through some more problems.

If you're interested in giving it a shot though, it seems to me like it would need 2 arduinos, one for receiving and one for transmitting. Then these signals would have to be combined to work with the mongoose drivers. I'm not too sure how to do that part, but I'm sure theres a way, the arduino platform is well suited for bit level communication. Overall a pretty tricky project, but I still totally believe its possible. Unfortunately though with the clone now I've lost my motivation to sift through a bunch of ISO documents, but anyone who's handy and too stubborn for a junky clone could probably make some nice headway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.