SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Since many of our cars are OOW now, has anyone looked into alternatives to the tech II software? It'd be nice if I could purchase some software and a usb connector and update things like DRL's, comfort close, Aux In, Locking Gas Door, Trunk Release, etc. without shelling out 35 bucks over and over again.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Only yesterday I contemplated starting a scan tool master thread and adding it to the FAQ.

Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any tools which do everything a Tech2 can do. But scan tools are evolving. I think the longer GM uses this tool the more likely we are to see emulators and other products emerge.

The real down side here is Saab's small market share. Also the number of Saabers who would purchase a Tech2 emulator is probably very small. If such tools were to emerge, I would expect the Corvette crowd to get them first. It will be interesting to see what kind of programmable options are on the new Camaro. If GM decides to require a tech2 to program that car, I think you will see alternatives show up in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I gave a call to: http://www.autoenginuity.com/ today. They claimed that they cannot support SAAB or new GM vehicles due to the speed of the "newer" CAN Bus. (come on GM / Saab has been using this bus speed for 4+ years)

Maybe he didn't understand me. He did, however, say that they will be adding support for both 2007+ GM vehicles and Saabs during 1Q of 2008 (maybe as early as January as they are getting beta units now).

I haven't called: http://www.obdscan.net/APEX.htm yet because I can't find a number on their site. :)nono; that's a warning)

I don't expect a TechII replacement, yet. Saab and other units of GM protect their software fairly well with their "TIS" setup. I would settle for "read only" type of access for now. Checking codes - sensor values (MAYBE some solenoid actuation I guess) If we could make changes to the BCM stuff (ala TechII), THAT would be cool - dreaming.

ctrlz said:
Only yesterday I contemplated starting a scan tool master thread and adding it to the FAQ.

Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any tools which do everything a Tech2 can do. But scan tools are evolving. I think the longer GM uses this tool the more likely we are to see emulators and other products emerge.

The real down side here is Saab's small market share. Also the number of Saabers who would purchase a Tech2 emulator is probably very small. If such tools were to emerge, I would expect the Corvette crowd to get them first. It will be interesting to see what kind of programmable options are on the new Camaro. If GM decides to require a tech2 to program that car, I think you will see alternatives show up in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It sucks you cant do any changes right from the dash. Our company cars are chevy malibus and you can change the locks and other settings right through the radio controls.
Come on Saab/GM lets get with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.