SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2006 9-5 2.3T to a local shop today for some diagnostics and changes to some of the programming of the door locks.

When the shop owner hooked up the Tech 2 it didn't power on, no matter what he tried. However, he was able to hook the Tech 2 up to his Saab 9-3 no problem and he said it's always worked.

He did hook up an obd2 scanner (I think, some kind of scanner) to the same port under the steering wheel and it powered on just fine.

He checked various fuses and didn't see any that were blown...and everything else works just fine in the car...he didn't want to keep going for hours and not get results but referred me to a decent place that does just electrical work.

SO...any ideas before I take it to an automotive electrician to find out what's going on?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tech2 Should be powered using the battery dongle, not the OBD port.
?

While I have no idea when it comes to the tool, the guy owns a Saab shop, so I'd presume he knew what he was doing. He plugged the Tech 2 into dongle that looked like a power brick and then that had a cable that came off it and went into the module port below the steering wheel.

He even unplugged it and walked it over to his car and plugged it in and it came right on.

Are you saying that's incorrect? He's been working on Saab's and Porsche's for years and years, and had about 4 Saab's there at the moment...so I'd presume he did it right...?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
2006 Tech II. You need a candi adapter past 2002 and after 05 I think it only links to the car thru a computer and a sign on to the subscription site. However, while I do have a brick, I have never had to use it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2006 Tech II. You need a candi adapter past 2002 and after 05 I think it only links to the car thru a computer and a sign on to the subscription site. However, while I do have a brick, I have never had to use it.
Thanks Mike,

He said he did connect the candi adapter.

I guess I'll pay for the diag from the electrical guy...odd because everything else worked...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I can confirm 2006 up needs a CANDI adapter. The Candi adapter needs to be powered via the cigarette lighter. However I was able to get away with the OBD port only when I tested it on a 2005 9-3ss which also requires a candi adapter, so not 100% sure what to tell you there.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can confirm 2006 up needs a CANDI adapter. The Candi adapter needs to be powered via the cigarette lighter. However I was able to get away with the OBD port only when I tested it on a 2005 9-3ss which also requires a candi adapter, so not 100% sure what to tell you there.
Interesting that he didn't know this. I'll bite the bullet and take it over to the local dealership and just ask them if it will connect or not...they should be able to do it in 5 minutes just as a check.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The tech2 will power on from the ODB Port on any 2006+ but requires the CANDI to be connected.

Am not sure why yours will not power on there but it definitely should.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts