SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
KjT817 said:
anyone want to get a group buy going for one of those?! :lol:
Yeah, don't laugh I've considered it.
Doubt this will ever happen. I'd like to see auto stores renting TechII like they do other tools. But we Saabers would still be out the CANdi module, Saab 32 MB card, and TIS subscription fee.

I'll have a new car before it comes to this:evil:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems it is the same, thanks for the replies.

Over the holiday, I plan to hook up my canalyzer laptop to the car and begin logging data. Then I can try to decrypt that data. Has anyone done this before?

Ultimately I would love to be able to make techII changes using CAN and a laptop, maybe some emulator program, not sure exactly. Again, maybe someone has already done this and would be willing to share what they've learned??

·
Registered
253 Posts
rabbit said:
Seems it is the same, thanks for the replies.

Over the holiday, I plan to hook up my canalyzer laptop to the car and begin logging data. Then I can try to decrypt that data. Has anyone done this before?

Ultimately I would love to be able to make techII changes using CAN and a laptop, maybe some emulator program, not sure exactly. Again, maybe someone has already done this and would be willing to share what they've learned??
My observation from very limited use of VAG-COM in the VW world, is that you'd have to watch configurations being changed on a real Tech II.. ie. it ends up being that bit location X in byte location Y controls function ABC....

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
TROLLhattenschatten said:
What else is needed besides the T2 device and the memory card?

I have the update program on my computer.
By that you mean TIS2000, I believe.

You would need the CANdi-bus module for Tech2.

In addition to the hardware and basic software, I think there are also "security" keys and codes that need to be entered whenever you try to do something that reconfigures a module. I'm guessing the passwords change when your subscription runs out.

If you visit the forums for other GM cars you can get a better feel for some of this. At some GM dealers you can just ask for the latest software updates or hand them a list and they'll do it. I think they just use the tool more often and more extensively. I was amazed when I saw people in a Saturn forum saying, "just ask for update 12345678," while one of my local Saab dealers tells me none of the Saab modules can be updated!

The other problem is that GM now handles Saab tech support, and the GM guys don't know Saabs like the Saab guys who used to do tech support.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts