SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So spending the morning stripping down the damage.

Grill and smashed headlight bucket off...you can really see how everything has been pushed to the left side

Managed to get the hood open with a little arm wrestling...the radiator support and header panel have been pushed into the ic plumbing but the ic itself is in good shape. Just a little deformation of one of the boots.

In this pic you can see how far it got pushed back...

And also in this one with the bumper pulled away...and with that you can see a hint of the big fix that's needed...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think this will be the hardest part. Everything else looks to be remove and replace...the left side bumper horn is pushed to the left by about 25mm or so...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Needless to say, I'm pretty impressed with the C900's ability to take a punch. If this same impact was in the g/f's Yaris the engine would have been pushed under the car.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I was at U-pull-n-pay denver yesterday. There's a '92 9000 with a good left headlight assy. And a couple good hoods and rad. supports on the '86 900's there.

I'll be there to cut a rust free fender off tomorrow if you need a hand getting the hood and such.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was at U-pull-n-pay denver yesterday. There's a '92 9000 with a good left headlight assy. And a couple good hoods and rad. supports on the '86 900's there.

I'll be there to cut a rust free fender off tomorrow if you need a hand getting the hood and such.
Fortunately I have a good spare headlight for the left side. But heckya if you're heading down there I am planning on getting a UHaul pickemup and spending some quality time at the boneyard.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Fortunately I have a good spare headlight for the left side. But heckya if you're heading down there I am planning on getting a UHaul pickemup and spending some quality time at the boneyard.
I should be there by 10am--I'll be by the dark blue '86 900. I started cutting the fender yesterday and my batteries died...

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I repaired an NG900 with bent bumper horn. It was bent to the side, I used a big iron bar and a chain around it and bent it back to the left, and it was shoved in, so I chained it to another car and revved the engine :p It all fit after!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got to meet up with Banman at the p&p today...always nice to meet up with someone from the board. Pulled the radiator support and helped him snag what looked like a pretty clean front motor mount. Radiator from RockAuto is in the mail...got a line on a hood the same color as mine...just have to chase down a bumper and we'll be back on the road ;ol;

Oh, and an airbag too...seems that all the Saabs in the area boneyards are pre-airbag years.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Got to meet up with Banman at the p&p today...always nice to meet up with someone from the board. Pulled the radiator support and helped him snag what looked like a pretty clean front motor mount. Radiator from RockAuto is in the mail...got a line on a hood the same color as mine...just have to chase down a bumper and we'll be back on the road ;ol;

Oh, and an airbag too...seems that all the Saabs in the area boneyards are pre-airbag years.
Which years? I put one out of an NG900 (same wheel but with a colour emblem) in mine and contemplated using a wheel from a 9-3, which appears to be a direct fit (different wheel, but still fits). Look at 9k's also. The 9-3 though is a "lower-power" second-generation airbag but the plug connector sure looks identical. I dunno if they work, after all, you're the one who tested yours :D

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Good to have met you too Scantar! Happy to help pulling the radiator frame--now I know how that goes together...

I'm sorry that I forgot to mention the 1992 C9000 in the lot appeared to have the same steering wheel airbag as ours... Maybe somebody here can confirm that they're the same part or not...?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Where is the yard? I live in Denver and this would be a very good thing to know hah

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Always better to have a helping hand Banman...appreciated the assistance and the company!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Progress! I found a "fresh" 93 in a yard and got the bumper off of it. ;ol; A little worn but good enough! Also lost a fan in the crash...noticed that when I stripped the front off the car so I picked up two. Odd (to me) was that in this car...an S...it had two different types of fan. The right side fan was a smaller 4 blade dealie with a different connector. It's a Saab part, not an am piece so I'm a bit puzzled unless the n/a cars got a different fan setup than the Turbs did. I grabbed it anyway.

Also grabbed the EZK off of it since it seems to come up a bit on the board...low mileage car (107K)...if anyone needs it shoot me a PM and you can have it for what it cost me + the stamp.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Just make sure none of the crush points have been flexed. If you see buckled areas around the front edge of the fender wells (either), your frame has been compromised.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all for the support! ;ol;

SaabCrazee I'll give you TWO 12ers if you come up and do an R&R on the lower rad hose! :lol: That's today's job...

Just had the hood delivered. You know the guy's wife wanted it out of the garage when you get a call at 9:00 starting with "My wife had this idea to just run it by your house..." It's the right color and ever'thang ;ol; It was worth the $30 over the price of a boneyard hood to not have to sand and repaint a blue or black or Edwardian gray or...plus it was delivered! :cheesy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts