SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to set aside some time to replace my Garrett turbo with a Aero TD04:D . I have had the TD04 on hand for a few weeks (painful to look at it just sitting there:cry: ), gotten a copy of the Haynes manual and I have the upgrade parts list (thanks Wes!):

4 pipes(2 water & " oil) and 2 bajo bolts and washers.
Part nos
10-11066422 x4 washers
10-9136524 x2 banjo bolts
10-9174939 pipe
10-9174947 pipe
10-9179458 pipe
10-9182460 pipe

Per the Haynes manual, I should do also perform an oil change, so I'll need oil and a filter (saw the thread on the new filter - thanks Dr. Boost!). I also will need to drain the coolant, so I'll need enough to fill her back up.

For those of you that have performed this upgrade, before I start to take the car apart, my question is this - what other parts (gaskets, o-rings, clamps, etc.) or specialized tools should I have on hand before I start performing surgery? Apologies, but the Haynes manual is a bit vauge on the topic.

Also, does anyone have any advice based on their experience? I wish someone had taken pics of the procedure:confused: ...

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
While I don't have any of the answers you seek, when are you gonna be doing this? I offer my assistance if I'm not working that day. :D

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raven,

I appreciate the offer. I guess when I'll be doing this partly depends on when I get all my bits and pieces. I'll be sure to let you know when I pick the day, it would be great to have another set of hands on board!

When do you typically work?

Rob

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Raven18940 said:
Hahahahaha, that's a good question. No one really knows, ah the joys of weekly changing schedules. I need to get a real job. :roll:
Now I've got to know where you work :eek: ! - you can tell me later. I'll let you know when I pick a date and if your open, great!

Thanks again - Rob

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turbo came from Ebay:cheesy: - the pipes, bolts, etc. I still need to get from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
saabnc said:
Why don't you be the first, Rob? ;)
Count on it!:p (Now that's something I could sell on Ebay! :lol:)

OK guys how about this? Does anyone have access to or can someone tell me how to get my hands on one of those super handy diagram/schematic whatchamacallits:confused: showing the turbo assembly and connecting parts. I am trying to get at the part numbers for any gaskets, o-rings, washers, etc. that might need renewal (Queens English for replacing!:D ) in addition to the parts listed by Wes.

Thanks guys,
Rob

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
robw said:
Finn - Are you installing it yourself?
No, its a little outta my technical field. So Chris's man is doing it along with my 126k service :)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I offered to help, but apparently you want it to actually work :roll:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finn said:
No, its a little outta my technical field. So Chris's man is doing it along with my 126k service :)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

How difficult a DIY do you reckon this is? After reading through the Haynes, a turbo replacement seems fairly straight forward.... I was just imagining that this would be similar with some rerouting of the new pipes.
(now I'm getting a little bit nervous)

X

·
0 Posts
robw said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

How difficult a DIY do you reckon this is? After reading through the Haynes, a turbo replacement seems fairly straight forward.... I was just imagining that this would be similar with some rerouting of the new pipes.
(now I'm getting a little bit nervous)
Rob, I agree that it doesnt sound like to difficult a job. My problem is I have a gravel drive that is on a slope, so jacking the car is a fairly risky excersize and would make this project a little to hard for me. Having said that If I had a suitable garage or drive I certainly would give it a go. :)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
The only thing that would worry me is the setting of the wastegate. I imagine if you buggered that the ECU would have a fit. :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I was gonna say they are preset, but mine was adjusted too low :confused:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Raven18940 said:
The only thing that would worry me is the setting of the wastegate. I imagine if you buggered that the ECU would have a fit. :roll:
I was thinking of that as well... might be time to stop by and have a chat with Demi..;)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts