SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if you guys don't already know, I am in the process of the legwork for my td04 install in my 9-3. Its all going in August 1st, so I've got two weeks now.

I have the intake all set. And I have the three coolant in and out and oil in lines all taken care of. Now its time for the oil drain line. This is the larger line. Here is what I have to work with:

The oil "spicket" is the tube that is the highest point in the picture. I need to connect this with whatever is given on the engine side to connect to. I'm just looking for ideas here. Blue 9-3 has helped a lot, but we didn't go into much detail on this part, other than that the two tubes don't line up too well. Can I just use some braided stainless line and clamp this down? The ridge on the tube in the picture looks perfect for holding on a clamp, but I wonder what is on the engine side of where this has to connect.

As always, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
642 Posts
as in all the other threads on this subject, I'll be watching as well for input

·
Registered
418 Posts
Braided line is exactly what I used. I would have been happier using a regular, rubber oil line though. Since the only thing keeping the oil "spigot" in the block is the tension from the flexed oil hose, braided line is a bit stiff to do the job as well as plain rubber. The beeyotch is that the rubber line that comes off of the t25 is too short. And it has an angle to it of about 15 - 20*. Regular straight hose kinks and is useless. Trying to find another oil hose with that diameter and that angle is time prohibitive to say the least.

Braided line will suffice quite well. It has for me for over 1500 miles since the install. And believe me, I check it often. Gives me a little peace of mind, ya know? :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I encountered the same problem. except i didn't have the tube sticking out. You are one step ahead.. I had to make my own fitting for that drain.. I made the same oval style drain coupling. Except I used a 90 Degree bend using pipes.. same diameter.. then the hose was long enough to connect the 2. I would keep the setup with the rubber hose.. u get more flow... Maybe try taking that fitting off.. and make a 90, welding 2 pipes together....

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see what you're saying shaft, I want to make sure there is some good flow.

Blue, any pics of this so we can see the angle to compare?

I'll probably take a second look at this tube and concult my mechanic. I'm not even sure if he welds, but if he does I'll probably ask him to modify the tube.

But at least I know that if I have to I can use SS line.

Is it easy to clamp this SS braided line Blue 9-3?

·
Registered
418 Posts
stromer said:
I see what you're saying shaft, I want to make sure there is some good flow.

Blue, any pics of this so we can see the angle to compare?

I'll probably take a second look at this tube and concult my mechanic. I'm not even sure if he welds, but if he does I'll probably ask him to modify the tube.

But at least I know that if I have to I can use SS line.

Is it easy to clamp this SS braided line Blue 9-3?
Yeah, I have a shot or two that might help out.

Getting the braided hose clamped on the the spigot isn't the problem. Getting the hose to fit over the end coming out of the block is the challenge. A real knuckle buster. You're trying to get braided hose to bend to the point where it seems like it is flexing too far, but not quite. Be prepared for a workout. This is another reason why a rubber hose might be better.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey guys. Going thru the same "...think these lines'll fit?" process myself. Attached is the TD04 I managed to get, complete with rubber oil outlet hose and clips. Hose part no appears to be: 9179326. Internal diameter is around 3/4" and whatever you put on instead should not be less than this in order to maintain the in/out area ratio around 1:10.

The reason is because oil from the turbo is hot, aerated and frothy after it's trip through the turbine bearing and it needs more volume in the pipe. Skinny pipes, kinks (or bends) will slow down its departure and therefore how much cool, clean oil you can get in at the top. Get that wrong and you'll lose the bearing over time as it cooks itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So its dedinatly a simple peice of rubber. The only curve ball is that we need it to be slightly relocated as the hole on the engine from our t25 cars does not line up with the td04 drain. I'm going to go talk to my mechanic about this Thursday.

If I were to use stainless braided line, I'm also wondering about cutting back on that metal spicket on the turbo. This would give me more room to bend the ss line to attach to the engine reducing the chance of a kink. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mechanic assured me that the braided SS line would be fine. I guess we'll just see. I'm going to talk to him more about this inculding how I can periodically check to make sure things are okay with the oil flow. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm making an appointment tomorrow to get my hold setup looked over. Almost 2,000kms since the install. I'll take some pics underneath and i'll show u my oil drain setup. I should have them posted either tomorrow night or saturday.

cheers!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll have to check out my other thread about the lines to hear my complete backflip in coolant and oil line rigging.

I'm also not so sure that the drain will work as planned. The hose needed to withstand that high of temps is very thick. I'm not sure a hose clamp would do it. I've gotta think about this, and soon!

Reactions: Saaberachi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts