SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to swap out my tired gt17 for the TD04. Is there somewhere with a breakdown of part/part numbers I need? I want to pick up all new gaskets and copper washers, new banjo bolts, and the one line that’s different for the TD04. Eeuroparts has a “kit” but I don’t need the ECU service and there’s no breakdown of the parts included.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
the easiest (and likely cheapest) thing is this:

It's a set of banjo bolts for the Mitsubishi coolant ports with stepped copper washers that fit into the bigger holes in the Garrett lines and take the smaller banjo bolts for theMitsu turbo.

A proper upgrade will require that you replace both of the coolant lines along with the banjo bolts on the turbo end and the 4 copper washers. The oil feed and drain line can be reused.

On the eeuro kits you can click on the details and it will list all of the part numbers in the kit so you could get them from there.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
81 Posts
I'm in the same spot Dmhaes, preparing to do this job hopefully over the summer some time.
So far my parts list is as follows. If anyone has input or experience doing this job please to chime in. I've done some research but more info always helps!
  1. TD04HL-15T I'm not sure of the best place to source one. Seems there are some Chinese ones pretty cheap on eBay which might be fine, but if it's only $2-300 extra for a much more reliable turbo then that's worth it to me. eSaabParts has them for 680 and eEuro has them for 690. (New PN 55564966 for 06-09 to use with King Cobra inlet pipe, or older PN 55559825 to use with Cobra pipe from older Aeros)
  2. Water/oil lines (could be bent from the old ones and use the bolts unclemiltie linked, but better to do it with the correct lines IMO)
  3. TD04 Oil return line (I think unclemiltie is saying the old one can be re-used? Not clear on the differences between the GT17 and TD04 oil return lines)
  4. CCV Adapter (again, not sure this is absolutely necessary but it's pretty inexpensive)
  5. TD04 Gaskets
  6. Optional: King Cobra (depends on the TD04 you use, I think you need a new Cobra Pipe either way though, not sure)
  7. Probably optional: Airbox Inlet Pipe (PN 5191770, stock on Aeros 04+)
Obviously in addition you'll need the ECU flash, and if yours is a manual probably eventually a new clutch and flywheel resurface if you upgrade to the Aero clutch.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
The early Garrett oil return line was fiber and rubber, don't know if they used these on the Mistu, but I had one on my 2001 Aero before I changed the engine. The Mitsu was a metal with an accordion like section to make it easy to bend. you don't need the metal drain, it's just gravity so no big deal. No real difference.
the oil feed line is the same, you can re-use it
The only difference on the coolant lines is the smaller banjos and the smaller holes on the end of the pipes. if you use the above kit it will work just fine with the Garrett lines.

you can go without a tune but the Garrett spins up faster as the turbine is lighter so you'll see a bit more lag. And you won't get the higher boost. But if you're going to update the ECU you might as well get a stage 1 tune in it since the price is the same and it's a bit more power.

·
Registered
SAAB 95 2004 Linear Wagon
110 Posts
i am also looking at changing my Garrett GT17 to a Mitsubishi TD04 (not for performance changes, but because the current GT17 seals are wearing out , and i would prefer to replace it with a more reliable and longer lasting Mitsubishi TD04)

unclemiltie, if a Garrett GT17 is replaced with a Mitsubishi TD04 (but without an ECU update), would the increased lag in the TD04 spin-up (compared to the GT17) be the same as for the normal arc and aero models ? (eg, i am not concerned about the lack of extra boost without the ECU tuneup, but am trying to avoid adding extra lag by further reduced spool up time) )

when searching for prices online, there seem to be many different configuration/variants of the Mitsubishi TD04HL-15T , is there any other specifications we need to look for to make sure it will fit on a saab 95 ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure if this helps anyone but I recently pulled a TD04 and have the lines and bolts. I can take pictures for you if needed. They can be for sale if needed. Located in TN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts